Author Topic: Back Brake & Handbrake on 2007 1.4SE.  (Read 6453 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
Re: Back Brake & Handbrake on 2007 1.4SE.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »
Well the car went in for the MoT last week (Wednesday) and what a surprise, failed on rear brake imbalance and handbrake performance.

I seem to have sorted out the rear brakes - going in for re-test on Thursday this week.

I still get the feeling the rear driver side caliper isn't particularly free moving, with regards the caliper piston.

I'm looking into either a rebuild of the caliper or simply a replacement.

I can get a rebuild kit for around £13 or a nice and shiny new one for under £40.

Anybody on here done a new piston and seal replacement on their cars?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
The sticky caliper is most likely just the slide pins rusty or not lubricated - maybe the rubber bellows have split or not fitted properly and letting water in.  The piston only pushed the inside pad up to disc,  for the outside pad to make proper contact with equal pressure requires the whole body of the caliper to slide on the pins - this normally shows up as a rusty surface or uneven polish on the outside face of the disc.  The best way to prevent cylinder / piston problems is to regularly flush the brake fluid and replace the fluid that has absorbed water out of the system.... otherwise the water causes corrosion of the piston or bore,  you can get Jazz slide pins online for not much money.

Try 'brakes international' based in Rochdale, they sell Bremtech which are good kit and contains the pins with new caliper bolts pre-coated with threadlock, new rubber gaiters and molybdenum grease sachet .. for about a tenner... ( for one caliper )
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:52:41 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 12:29:52 PM »
The sticky caliper is most likely just the slide pins rusty or not lubricated - maybe the rubber bellows have split or not fitted properly and letting water in.  The piston only pushed the inside pad up to disc,  for the outside pad to make proper contact with equal pressure requires the whole body of the caliper to slide on the pins - this normally shows up as a rusty surface or uneven polish on the outside face of the disc.  The best way to prevent cylinder / piston problems is to regularly flush the brake fluid and replace the fluid that has absorbed water out of the system.... otherwise the water causes corrosion of the piston or bore,  you can get Jazz slide pins online for not much money.

Try 'brakes international' based in Rochdale, they sell Bremtech which are good kit and contains the pins with new caliper bolts pre-coated with threadlock, new rubber gaiters and molybdenum grease sachet .. for about a tenner... ( for one caliper )

The slide pins were somewhat stuff/sticky but removed and serviced them with fresh grease.

Rubbers were still in perfect condition and checked for smooth operation once reinstalled.

I did notice the screw in piston was very stiff to turn even with longer large flat blade screwdriver at right angles.

Outer seals still in good shape but didn't attempt to remove piston to check condition.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
The screw in piston is normally very stiff to turn initially but normally gets easier.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything