Author Topic: ..JAP IMPORT INSURANCE ?  (Read 7014 times)

guest431

..JAP IMPORT INSURANCE ?
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:00:09 PM »
THINKING OF A 54 1.4 DSI FIT(JAZZ) .who is the best for insurance ? i know it depends on circumstances but any pointers to help would be great

guest229

• Topic Starter
Re: ..JAP IMPORT INSURANCE ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 08:56:12 PM »
Click onto MoneySavingExpert.com it is a free website by Martin Lewis who features on TV.If you click onto article Cheap Car Insurance there is a wealth of info on shaking out the best deal.

guest332

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »
I’ve just bought a Japanese Fit, and Direct Line/Tesco (they seem to be related) don’t have a problem with it. I even rang to check, and they seemed a bit surprised that I thought it might cause complications.

Elephant.co.uk on the other hand, who I was previously insured with, wouldn’t touch it. Never mind the fact that it’s virtually the same as a UK model, that I’ve had 3 claim-free years with them (and about 15 big-claim-free years with other insurers before that)…apparently now that I’m driving a Japanese import I’m just too risky to go near! Huh

It’s a lovely lovely car, you won’t regret it…

guest229

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
Yes this is one problem and you will find that many insurance companies take the same negative view. Another problem can be resale value dependent on where you attempt to sell.

Comical Engineer

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 05:04:12 PM »
If you have difficulty, try Adrian Flux. They are very good for specials and modified cars. I managed to get my Discovery down to £250 fully comp when everyone else was quoting £350-400

neils-home

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:02:13 PM »
I was fortunate that my imported Fit arrived in this country as a Honda Jazz on all the paperwork. It was registered as a Jazz on the UK log book, the import documents all said it was a fit jazz and when I had the number plate put on it came back as a Honda Jazz. Then I looked at insurance for the car and as far as any paperwork is concerned it is a Honda Jazz, registered in this country in 2006 and never have I been asked if it is an import. When I did the insurance, I gave the registration number and all the info came up on the screen as a Honda Jazz 14 CVT SE and the lady on the other end asked me to confirm the details which I did and that was it, fully comp for £113.00.

I think you have to make sure the car is registered as a Honda Jazz as the only difference between a UK and Japanese car is a slightly higher spec. Before you get all the documents back, ask for it to be called a Honda Jazz. Then when you go for insurance, unless you are asked the question you will have done nothing wrong.

Tags:

anything