Author Topic: Air con recirc button  (Read 725 times)

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
Air con recirc button
« on: May 23, 2022, 12:22:52 PM »
A week ago I noticed the air con had been switched to recirc (with the indicator light on). Thought I might have accidentally knocked the button. Yesterday, same thing happened. Thought the car was getting stuffy and noticed the recirc was on. Switched off and all was ok, did not reoccur. I am certain I hadn't manually switched it to recirc.

Is this some inbuilt energy saving device? Or is this a fault? Any feedback appreciated.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
Re: Air con recirc button
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 12:36:21 PM »
It’s not a fault. Recirculate comes on when temp set low and cabin is warm. It depends where you set your temp. It recirculates air rather than dragging in warm air from outside making it more efficient in cooling

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
It's programmed that way, in many hybrids they hold recirc so that the air con compressor doesn't have to work as hard cooling outside air. As a result fuel economy is improved a bit.

The Jazz recirc does seem to operate more than most, but it's not 100% recirc as it is still letting some outside air in.

What I have found is that I have to change the temperature manually on auto depending on the weather outside.

In the winter I set 20 degrees and that provides warmth, but in the summer it doesn't seem to cool enough/is a bit stuffy so I drop it to 19 degrees instead.

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 01:02:21 PM »
It's programmed that way, in many hybrids they hold recirc so that the air con compressor doesn't have to work as hard cooling outside air. As a result fuel economy is improved a bit.

The Jazz recirc does seem to operate more than most, but it's not 100% recirc as it is still letting some outside air in.

What I have found is that I have to change the temperature manually on auto depending on the weather outside.

In the winter I set 20 degrees and that provides warmth, but in the summer it doesn't seem to cool enough/is a bit stuffy so I drop it to 19 degrees instead.

I typically set inside temp to 22C on hot days as I thought the air con would have less work to do than if I chose say 19C. But if that means it is more likely to switch to recirc then that is not what I want. As per my original post, it was when the car was getting stuffy I noticed recirc was on. If it is blending fresh air/recirc then it is heavily biased towards the latter.

Have to say, do not like the car making a decision on whether I get fresh air or not, should be left to the driver!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 01:18:29 PM »
I've noticed on all my cars with climate control that if the cabin temp is considerably different to the selected temp then recirc does cut in for a while.

The only issue I've noticed occasionally is that the interior glass does mist.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything