Author Topic: Hybrid + Low Mileage  (Read 1277 times)

russd1978

• Approved Member
Hybrid + Low Mileage
« on: May 29, 2022, 11:07:10 AM »
Hello, I've been looking at a Toyota Yaris and a Honda Jazz.

However, there are reports with the Yaris that the small 12v battery depletes very quickly and some users say that if left for over a week it's not uncommon for the battery to completely deplete meaning the car won't start.
https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/192967-toyota-advice-on-battery-maintenance-during-lockdown-or-lack-of-use/

Also, if you are doing a lot of short 10 minute trips this isn't long enough to charge the battery sufficiently and can lead to it going flat.

Toyota recommend if its not being driven much owners should turn the car to "Ready Mode" for 60 minutes a week to keep the battery charged. It's also in difficult to reach place under the back seat meaning manual charging is a bit of a pain.

I only do approximately 3,500 miles a year, generally short trips 10>30 mins. So the above has ruled out the Toyota for me.

Do you know if the Jazz 2020 onwards with the 1.5 hybrid UK version would have a similar issue for low mileage drivers? Am I best avoiding hybrid cars altogether?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Hybrid + Low Mileage
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 11:21:53 AM »
A week is a bit short unless the battery is very low.

We've seen reports here of Jazz standing for many weeks without issue.

Mine is a low mileage one but I give mine a full CTEK topup if left for 15 days.

But, as you say, a weekly or fortnightly 30 min powerup will also work if you have no mains access for a CTEK but you'll need to take a book with you to keep you occupied  :)
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 12:59:55 PM »
I've had both an Auris hybrid and Yaris hybrid - the owners groups for those have many stories of people with flat 12V batteries if they only do short trips or don't drive very often.

During lockdown I was having to run my Auris on the drive every few days to keep the 12V battery topped up and undamaged.

The Jazz doesn't seem to suffer the same issues, also we have an ordinary lead battery whereas the Toyotas use an expensive one that gets damaged if it is run low.

I believe Hyundai hybrids use a virtual 12V battery - the computer sets aside a portion of the high voltage battery to use as one. The benefit is that if the virtual 12V battery goes flat you can instantly recharge it by pressing a button to use charge from the high voltage battery.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
I've had both an Auris hybrid and Yaris hybrid - the owners groups for those have many stories of people with flat 12V batteries if they only do short trips or don't drive very often.

During lockdown I was having to run my Auris on the drive every few days to keep the 12V battery topped up and undamaged.

The owners groups where they complain about this problem for the Yaris, it concerns the new Yaris 4. Never heard that the Auris had this problem.
We had a Yaris 3 Hybrid until September of last year. During lockdown(s) it was just in the garage, sometimes quite a bit longer than a week. Never had any problem, never used a battery charger.
In July 2017 during holidays the car was not used for 4 weeks, waiting for us at Warsaw airport. It started without hesitation.
If nothing goes right, go left!

russd1978

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 03:51:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies - very interesting. Yes, I think its the Yaris 4 which is more likely to suffer with issues from low mileage/short trips. Good to hear about the jazz using a lead battery.

The other problem with the Yaris is that the 12v battery is tricky to access under the rear seat. Hoping that the jazz is a more accessible 12v battery under the bonnet?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 04:13:24 PM »
Sure is  :)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 04:22:51 PM »
Here at the right side:

If nothing goes right, go left!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 10:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies - very interesting. Yes, I think its the Yaris 4 which is more likely to suffer with issues from low mileage/short trips. Good to hear about the jazz using a lead battery.

The other problem with the Yaris is that the 12v battery is tricky to access under the rear seat. Hoping that the jazz is a more accessible 12v battery under the bonnet?
I mainly do short trips in my Crosstar but I haven't had any trouble with the 12V battery. It's only used to power the electronics at startup, if the ICE is required it's started by the high power battery. The battery is easily accessible under the bonnet, I have used a trickle charger on it a couple of times when the car hasn't been used for a while although it's never failed to fire up.

russd1978

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 10:49:08 PM »
Great to know - thanks for the image and tips! Very kind of you all :)

PWV

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: New Jazz Hybrid
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 07:11:53 PM »
Honda manual (sticker underside of bonnet) says the Jazz needs to be run for half hour every three months.  We could all pick some holes in that statement.  I would think if both batteries are fully charged it suggests one could leave it approaching three months.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 08:00:44 AM »
Honda manual (sticker underside of bonnet) says the Jazz needs to be run for half hour every three months.  We could all pick some holes in that statement.  I would think if both batteries are fully charged it suggests one could leave it approaching three months.

The HV battery can last 3 months  - possibly longer. The downside is if the HV battery is allowed to fully discharge by leaving it unattended for longer than this it can be damaged - and is VERY expensive to replace. You cant charge it at home   other  than running the car  for 30 minutes  every 3 months  to charge and recycle the battery.    (main dealers might have special high voltage  chargers to maintain their stock,  but its not a DIY option)   I saw a 'handover ' video  made by a Honda dealership which mentioned this but dismissed the possibility of a car being unused for 3 months   as highly unlikely  -    But they live different lifestyles from some of us.   

But the small 12 volt battery may run flat in well under 3 months. Modern cars have lots of electronic systems that remain constantly active, consuming quite a bit of 12 volt  battery power.  Its not just Honda.          Its not such a disaster as the car can be jumped started from another car  ,and there are precautions you can take to keep it charged. Regularly plugging in to a smart charger at home for instance.    I once left the car unattended for about 8 weeks during January and February  and it powered up and started  ,no problem.  I had left a solar powered battery charger plugged into the OBD ii  port.  Despite the short daylight hours  and little sun this gave enough amps of charge to keep it topped up.  .       If the car is attended but not driven  you can  power up the car from time to time  and even if the car is not driven  it will charge the 12 volt battery during that time.   But  maybe not a long term solution because it would be drawing charge from the HV battery.   

One further solution  that might help if, for instance, the car is left for a long period in an airport car park.  You can buy 'power bank ' jump starter packs,which are kept charged with a usb charger.  They are small enough to keep in the glove box but  claim to be able to provide enough amps for a short period to jump start a normal car starter   Should be more than enough to power up a hybrid.   Cost from about £30.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 08:35:57 AM »
From personal experience, try to not allow the 12v battery to become fully discharged because that damages them.

They can be recovered but only via professional chargers. In the meantime they quickly lose charge.

I did a 120 mile non stop trip after being jump started in a Metro and the battery still ran flat overnight.

The mechanic explained about a lead acid 2 stage charge. If the first stage charge depletes then the second stage charge, performed by the alternator, is quickly dragged down. The first stage is performed in the factory and that stage is what gives them a good shelf life before sale as they are not being drained.

Tags:

anything