Author Topic: Driver’s seat wear  (Read 14370 times)

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
Re: Driver’s seat wear
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 10:10:01 PM »
The side plastic trim is fairly rigid, and has vertical ribs. Previous cars would be more flimsy and not force the 'leather'' to fold so tightly.  I would imagine that the ' leather' is not as durable as real leather. Believe it is PU rather than vinyl.  RoHS3 for my industry has limited use of phthalates whose purpose is plasticisers ( for cable sheathing) . So I imagine that the auto chemical limitations are also limiting these . I read that the plasticisers rise to the surface overtime.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 08:26:35 AM »
Did a supplier make a change in the material without appreciating the consequences?

I hope that the problem only affects one batch of seats as this could get expensive for Honda. Warranty expiry won't provide a quick escape route as the fitness for purpose and latent defects aspects as consumer legislation are also relevent.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 08:45:16 AM »
I had another look at mine and the sides do seem to be quite stiff to fend off over bending.

I sat in mine and bounced around and the sides don't move or flex.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
Driver’s seat wear
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2022, 01:46:08 PM »
Looks like the fabric sides on the crosstar are much harder wearing than the plastic leather on the ordinary EX.

I think they may be slightly more comfortable too.

alboy

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
I had a look at the seating in a new Jazz and the edge is quite thin and may cut into the seat , i have found this door edging https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09M8MV1TN?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title&th=1
It should fit and give it a smoother edge hopefully preventing it cutting the seat

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2022, 07:42:47 AM »
The plastic part does have quite sharp edges and sharp ribs on its back.   But, as I think  Roman pointed out earlier, on- line photos of damage often show the 'leather' split somewhere else, not directly caused by these sharp edges.

Looks to me that when the seat is being upholstered these side panels are stretched quite tight before being firmly fixed to the seat frame  .  The additional strain when drivers get in and out, summer  heat drying out  the 'leather ' or extreme cold making it brittle  may cause the structure of the fake leather fabric to fail  at its weakest point.   I have had thin clothing split in this way when put under too much strain  ;D .  (Hot sun and bulging muscles of course  ;) ,not too much beer and too many pies. :P)     The plastic side trim may not be helping by concentrating the area under stress into a narrow strip. 

I have pre treated  mine with 'Turtle wax luxe leather'  leather and vinyl conditioner  .  Too soon to see if this has any benefit.
Word of warning here.    I have dark upholstery. The conditioner makes the 'leather' slightly darker, and of course you have to keep the conditioner away from the cloth areas.     The result actually looks good and more  leather like,  but if you extend treatment beyond just the vulnerable seat edges , you may end up having to treat every part of the leather interior to maintain a consistent colour match. .Only then do you realise just how much 'leather'  there is !     A job some will enjoy, and some will not.     Probably true of other makes of conditioner. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »
The diagonal cracking in the pictures looks to me more like a shear stress failure rather than abrasion on a sharp edge. This might happen if the occupant "shuffles" backwards and forwards on top of the seat whilst the lower edge of the seat sides is restrained. That's a perfectly natural thing for the driver to do, so the seat ought to be designed to cope with it. Either the design is wrong (material too stiff, maybe?) or its not been manufactured correctly.

Regarding the use of conditioner, these products are generally intended to help keep the surface clean. Faux leather is plastic so the conditioner won't soak in to keep the material supple in the way it would with real leather.

guest9814

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2022, 06:36:15 PM »
The diagonal cracking in the pictures looks to me more like a shear stress failure rather than abrasion on a sharp edge. This might happen if the occupant "shuffles" backwards and forwards on top of the seat whilst the lower edge of the seat sides is restrained. That's a perfectly natural thing for the driver to do, so the seat ought to be designed to cope with it. Either the design is wrong (material too stiff, maybe?) or its not been manufactured correctly.

Regarding the use of conditioner, these products are generally intended to help keep the surface clean. Faux leather is plastic so the conditioner won't soak in to keep the material supple in the way it would with real leather.

I believe that since the side part from faux leather is torn in the same way for different drivers, the reason is that when getting up from the seat, most of them turn slightly to the right (or left) before putting their foot on the road, as a result, the seat material twists and tears, I would say that the reason is not only in the weak upholstery material of the seat, but also in the fact that the foam under the upholstery on the sidewalls is too soft (but this is my opinion)

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 08:20:44 AM »
...What's the consensus on the EX steering wheel, leather or not?
General cleaning product or leather cleaner/protective cream?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
...What's the consensus on the EX steering wheel, leather or not?
General cleaning product or leather cleaner/protective cream?
I think all the ‘leather’ is plastic.

I have a white steering wheel, and have just used wet wipes to clean it.

guest9814

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »
https://zenmarket.jp/en/yshoppingproduct.aspx?itemCode=desir-de-vivre_08p32-tza-000&c=42767
I think about this option, it`s genuine Honda part but if needed for car with rear armrest should be used part number 08P32-TZA-000A
quite pricy - 24035 Yen Japan (185$) before shipping  and unclear if this is a set for all car or only for one seat
Intresting does UK Honda dealers have this part numbers in their catalogues ....

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2022, 07:48:10 AM »
Just out of interest, something I just thought of

Those with the split side seat ..... do you use the seat heater ?

IanG

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk4 Jazz EX
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2022, 06:43:48 PM »
I use the seat heater frequently during colder periods, as lots of cold early morning starts when traveling distances. Car now has over 30k on clock, 2 years old next April.
Still waiting for the replacement seat parts to arrive, which Honda are covering under warranty. Not chasing up, as want to push out the replacement as long as possible, to prolong the new seat base life. Car is being passed on to the wife soon and her mileage will be much reduced, so hopefully the replacement part will not suffer the same fate!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2022, 04:57:31 AM »
Thanks

Don't know what popped into my head but I wondered if the heater was drying out the plastic, pvc, faux-leather, whatever, and making it brittle.

guest9814

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2022, 08:56:34 AM »
Thanks

Don't know what popped into my head but I wondered if the heater was drying out the plastic, pvc, faux-leather, whatever, and making it brittle.

Not a case
Friend of mine own Jazz Elegance 2021, during Israel winter always uses seat heater and during summer not covering car to reduce heat in cabin (and when car parked temperature can reach 50 degrees C easily), she’s driver’s seat OKAY but she uses seats covers, i read discussion on kakaku where drivers also has exactly same damage to seat, they came to conclusion that this happens to drivers with short legs, they even started to think about how to disembark right to not damaging replaced seat, someone write to put hand on door lock on b pillar to reduce weight on seat cushions when exiting from car, I catch myself on that when I exiting the car I turn to door on seat then putting leg on ground and to reach ground I need to slide from seat so there something that Honda engenders not thinking about when they test seat for wear (when driver exiting the car he can turn to door on seat and that part of seat made from  material that  does not slip and if I sit on the seat in jeans it literally sticks to them and creaks during the trip, needless to say that when I get out of the car and turn to the door I twist this piece of leatherette or vinyls in addition to this to lower my leg  on the ground I have to slide off the seat if I'm not holding on to the body of the car.
apparently I’ll have to carry a stand with me so that it’s more convenient to get out of the car. (I joking 🙃)

Tags: