Author Topic: Satnav  (Read 2083 times)

ivegotfivedoors

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar 2021 Shining Grey Metalic
Satnav
« on: February 24, 2024, 08:52:51 PM »
Hi all when driving my Crosstar 71 plate I’ve noticed that some roads are out of date when using my built in satnav erm how do I go about updating  the software and is it going to cost me
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 08:54:33 PM by ivegotfivedoors »
Don't worry we all make mistakes
That's why they put rubbers on the end of pencils

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
Re: Satnav
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 11:29:36 PM »
Hi. You can see this thread where Kremmen wrote nice instructions how to do it:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=15569.0

Or if you find a video easier to follow, there is this video about how to update the built in Garmin satnav in Hondas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLTD36cnvg

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 05:25:14 AM »
The bespoke Honda/Garmin mapping is often out of date, even with the latest maps

My suggestion would be to investigate Android Auto / Google Maps ( or Waze )

If nothing else you get traffic and road problem reports

Garmin don't have cars out there checking like Google do, and Garmin probably use Google mapping to check any user reports of new and changed roads :)
Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 10:30:34 AM »
I have updated the inbuilt Satnav once since I bought the car in 2021 but Apple Maps is so much better I now just use that instead. With virtually everyone owning a smartphone I guess car manufacturers will think of a cost saving and maybe delete inbuilt satnav.

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 03:35:14 PM »
With virtually everyone owning a smartphone I guess car manufacturers will think of a cost saving and maybe delete inbuilt satnav.
Please keep in mind that smartphone based navigation relies on a permanently available connection to the Internet where as the built-in sat nav works even right out in the sticks.

Besides sat nav doesn't entail (potentially high) additional costs when used abroad.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 03:41:17 PM »
With virtually everyone owning a smartphone I guess car manufacturers will think of a cost saving and maybe delete inbuilt satnav.
Please keep in mind that smartphone based navigation relies on a permanently available connection to the Internet where as the built-in sat nav works even right out in the sticks.

Besides sat nav doesn't entail (potentially high) additional costs when used abroad.

Not correct. Google maps works perfectly well off-line. You can minimise data costs by downloading maps beforehand using local wi-fi, then use it in airplane made. Sure, you lose live traffic data but the inbuilt satnav doesn’t have that anyway.

Tags: