Author Topic: This may interest Jazz Hybrid owners, purely for comparison  (Read 2796 times)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: This may interest Jazz Hybrid owners, purely for comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 06:21:45 PM »
Purely for comparison... It could be a very interesting comparison if the Jazz had driven the same route under exactly the same conditions. But alas... not. "Ecodriver" has not (yet?) done the same test with the Jazz.

And look.... this is how you really compare consumption. Here between a hybrid and a diesel:

and here between a non-hybrid and a hybrid:

Unfortunately the language is Dutch, but it's just about the idea: you drive with two cars behind each other, exactly the same roads under (obviously) the same conditions and you have a good and fair comparison.
If nothing goes right, go left!

guest9814

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
In B mode on downhills we have aggressive ICE engine braking, when this braking insufficient we using friction brake’s , without B mode ICE engine braking also used when battery full but on lower rpm’s.
When I use B mode in town I use it only to control regen power without touching brakes , coast is possible but without hybrid power meter in MK4 hard to catch accelerator position to stop regen and acceleration.
I seen video on YouTube from Nisan  Leaf owner, he to get real coasting with released accelerator pedal used aftermarket module that connected between electronic accelerator pedal and ECU. This module changes acceleration characteristics and also cancelling deceleration (regen) with released acceleration pedal.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:09:25 PM »
In B mode on downhills we have aggressive ICE engine braking, when this braking insufficient we using friction brake’s , without B mode ICE engine braking also used when battery full but on lower rpm’s.

I believe that should read, In 'B' mode on downhills we have aggressive regenerative EV braking, except when the battery is full.

ICE braking is the same in 'B' or 'D' mode, in fact the same as any other ICE car, when you take your foot off the gas, but only equivalent to a normal manual car in maybe 5th or 6th gear, ie not much!!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 09:49:18 PM »
I believe that pushing the brake pedal primarily triggers regenerative braking (subject to there being battery capacity and power generation is within the capability of the driveside motor-generator) and the mechanical brakes are only used to bring the vehicle to a complete halt. The advantage of B mode (which I use all the time) is that it's possible to control the vehicle speed under most conditions by varying the pressure on the accelerator pedal irrespective of whether the car is using engine, battery or both (and this often changes when there is a change in accelerator pressure).

Engine braking, when it happens (long moderate to steep downhill resulting in full battery) results in audible engine noise equivalent to changing to a low gear. Those living in flatter areas may never experience this while those living in very undulating areas would welcome a bigger battery to avoid the energy wasted by engine braking.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

und3r

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz IV
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 05:39:26 AM »

But alas... not. "Ecodriver" has not (yet?) done the same test with the Jazz.

"Ecodriver" made already test for Jazz on his german channel called "Ecofahrer" :)

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 06:03:29 AM »
Purely for comparison... It could be a very interesting comparison if the Jazz had driven the same route under exactly the same conditions. But alas... not. "Ecodriver" has not (yet?) done the same test with the Jazz.

And look.... this is how you really compare consumption. Here between a hybrid and a diesel:

and here between a non-hybrid and a hybrid:

Unfortunately the language is Dutch, but it's just about the idea: you drive with two cars behind each other, exactly the same roads under (obviously) the same conditions and you have a good and fair comparison.

It might be a small effect but generally following vehicle tends to use more energy as (for safety etc) the driver has to adjust throttle more often.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 09:05:40 AM »
It might be a small effect but generally following vehicle tends to use more energy as (for safety etc) the driver has to adjust throttle more often.

That's why they switch position...

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
I believe that pushing the brake pedal primarily triggers regenerative braking (subject to there being battery capacity and power generation is within the capability of the driveside motor-generator) and the mechanical brakes are only used to bring the vehicle to a complete halt. The advantage of B mode (which I use all the time) is that it's possible to control the vehicle speed under most conditions by varying the pressure on the accelerator pedal irrespective of whether the car is using engine, battery or both (and this often changes when there is a change in accelerator pressure).

Like you John, I use 'B' mode all the time, (except when I need ACC) and I think you will find that the brake pedal has nothing to do with triggering regeneration. If you watch the Power Flow Meter, you will see that regeneration is triggered the moment you take your foot off the gas pedal. I don't believe touching the brake pedal adds anything to the regeneration effect, if anything it must subtract from that effect, since energy is then being used up by the friction brakes.

I agree, it is possible to largely control the vehicle, in 'B' mode, using the gas pedal alone, with the brake pedal being used just for the final stop.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:23:41 AM by Kenneve »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 12:02:14 PM »
The hybrid vs diesel  test will always have slight difference due to different vehicles ,not just slipstream effect etc. .   Bottom line is the hybrid used about 12 %  fewer litres of a cleaner  fuel, on that test route. This  should be better for the environment. (But net yet good enough , plus hidden  environmental  costs mining for battery materials etc etc)

But ,at the time of the test,  diesel still worked out cheaper  ,in purely financial terms.   It was cheaper, or a similar price, to petrol in most european countries. And  diesel may use less fuel at high motorway speeds.

Its currently more expensive than petrol in most european countries  , and that , combined with increasingly being 
 excluded from emission zones, is another nail in the diesel coffin.

I was once a big fan of diesel cars.  But I doubt I will buy another.   I am now an electric fan  ( ;D)   but must remain hybrid until range is sufficient for my needs. 

I think  the uk  Government are going to make electric scooters  legal, so maybe one of those with a small trailer or paniers for shopping?   Or maybe something like my avatar photo ( which is  Lady Muck-Voltermore in Cambodia) 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 02:54:24 PM »

Like you John, I use 'B' mode all the time, (except when I need ACC) and I think you will find that the brake pedal has nothing to do with triggering regeneration. If you watch the Power Flow Meter, you will see that regeneration is triggered the moment you take your foot off the gas pedal. I don't believe touching the brake pedal adds anything to the regeneration effect, if anything it must subtract from that effect, since energy is then being used up by the friction brakes.

I agree, it is possible to largely control the vehicle, in 'B' mode, using the gas pedal alone, with the brake pedal being used just for the final stop.
I agree.
 I use B all the time except when going down hill with insufficient speed and by so doing slows me down too much. In which case I resort to 1> just to get some regen without slowing down too much.
I use 4>>> all the time for slowing down for going round corners and invariably never touch the brakes while doing so.
I also agree re the brake pedal and the regen. I have noticed no increase in regen when braking.
Electric cars won't do much for the shareholders of brake pad manufacturers! ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 08:28:35 PM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »
Electric cars won't do much for the shareholders of brake pad manufacturers! ;D

My previous Toyota Auris hybrid did 7 years/60k miles on the one set of brake pads! I saw that they had changed them with the discs after I traded it in.

Discs were likely only changed due to deterioration from lack of use rather than wear.

On the Auris they tended to rust, particularly the rears, from lack of use unless you took the time to brake hard every so often to clean them.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 06:15:24 PM »

That's why they switch position...

Sorry didn't watch all through - boring to watch with Dutch commentary.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2022, 06:59:35 PM »
Sorry didn't watch all through - boring to watch with Dutch commentary.

Switch on subtitles, go to settings, click on 'cc' (ondertiteling), click on 'automatisch vertalen' and choose 'Engels' and you have can read the subtitles in (Google Translate :() English...

guest9814

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2022, 07:24:16 PM »
Regenerative braking by pushing braking pedal can give power up to 30 kw (maybe more but I seen some times number  close to 30kw)
Regenerative braking when we release acceleration pedal depends  by speed car get to and D or B mode of transaxle selected, in B mode regen with released accelerator pedal giving more energy but when we press braking pedal we getting much more energy.
If we using only what Honda gives to us in MK4 on instruments cluster we can’t see how much energy we get back when we release acceleration pedal vs pushing brake pedal, owners of HR-V e:HEV can use for that power meter, I used Car Scanner app for this. That why I can tell power in kW

Tags: