Author Topic: Sick Bucket diaries..  (Read 944 times)

mysteryjedi

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD1
Sick Bucket diaries..
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:21:59 AM »
Hi

Figured I should introduce myself and my recent acquired Jazz, which has been affectionately christened The Sick Bucket, as I'll no doubt be asking some questions of you all in due course!

I was looking for an older Sport for while, and in particular was looking for a yellow one as I originally wanted to have one to kind of match my S2000, but as well as seeming to command a premium price wise, there weren't any coming up for sale locally, and the sellers further afield seemed reluctant to send photos etc...  Anyway, this one came up for sale locally at a reasonable-ish price so went to have a look.  Thrashed out a deal and brought it home the following day.

The plan is to use it on track once it's in a fit state so am planning a light, budget friendly, track build.  I span the S2K last time and realised while travelling through the grass that I didn't really want to bend it so thought I'd get something a little less precious, which, with all due respect to Jazzs, is where The Sick Bucket comes in. 

I'm not quite sure how far the build will go, but for now I'm just working through the service items and enjoying using the car locally!  Although pretty slow, and very wallowey, it's great fun to drive!  I like to keep a bit of a diary of work that gets done to my cars so I'll probably update this thread with work that gets done.

The car itself seems pretty sold.  There's some surface rust on it but the arches and sills seem solid so I'm happy with that as a starting point!  It does have a whine when off throttle, and is most noticeable in lower gears, which I suspect is coming from somewhere around the gearbox/driveshaft area, but will require some investigation.  I'd like to enjoy the current set up, and the 'driving a slow car fast' experience for a while, although if something expensive goes, and I'm really enjoying the chassis, who knows... a K-swap might be a consideration...

The car had 4 different brands of tyre on it when I got it, none of which I'd heard of, so first thing it got was 4 new Toyo Proxes TR1s which seemed a reasonable compromise between budget and performance.  After they were on I moved on to the service items:

cabin filter - was one of the worst I've seen.
air filter - old one was upside down.
plugs - a bit of residue on some but no idea how old they are.
oil change - old filter didn't look too old from the outside, but if it was put on hand tight, it was last changed by Thor...  also had managed to order the wrong filter, but had the correct one anyway, when I'd been sent the wrong one for the S2K when I first got it!  Was a bit confused with the size difference of old v new, but after checking online, both are stated as being Honda fitment.
gearbox oil - the fill bolt needed a breaker bar on almost all my extensions but got there eventually.
brakes - took the wheels off for an inspection.  Rears were moving freely and look to have been changed in recent history, front nearside moved freely and caliper looks like it might have been replaced too, drivers side is pretty crusty and wasn't very free so gave it a clean up and regreased the sliders etc.  piston doesn't move well so think I might get a replacement caliper cos they seem to be not much more £ than a rebuild kit...  The plan is to replace the front discs and pads at the same time.

Next up, in no particular order, will be brakes part 2, coolant change, brake fluid change, clutch fluid change, DIY wheel refurb...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:25:39 AM by mysteryjedi »

mysteryjedi

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
Re: Sick Bucket diaries..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 11:28:20 AM »
might have to trim the amount of uploads...

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »
Not my choice of a track car but set a £ limit all imported parts are now expensive.
You will find a wealth of info on modding Jazz Fit on the US forum -
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/
Enjoy your Jazz Sport.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
Yeah, we call that Amoxycillin yellow! I can see where you got your name for it from. Whilst it is inherently a slow car, when driven with spirit and at high revs, it is capable of a few surprises. The trick is not to surprise yourself too much!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »
Can be a fun car to drive fast. Holds on better than you imagine. The whine will be the gearbox input shaft bearing. Notorious on the Mk 1 Jazz. Glad to see you found all 8 plugs!

mysteryjedi

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 01:23:09 PM »
Yeah it def handles better than I was expecting, although the steering rack is considerably slower than what I'm used to so I feel like I'm understeering until I've been driving for a while and manage to re-calibrate my brain!  Revving the nuts of it is great fun but I do miss v-tec though!

How likely is the input shaft bearing to destroy itself?  Is it one of those which will make a noise, but will probably hang on for a long time?  Or is there a good chance it'll collapse sooner rather than later?

I'd pencil-ed in some time last weekend to work on the brakes but unfortunately some of the bits didn't arrive in time so  opted to try a DIY wheel refurb with some some leftover paint in the garage.  All the wheels had damage (including one which was curbed the entire way round) which I sanded down to get rid of the worst but couldn't be bothered using filler.  A couple of coats of paint and lacquer later and I'm pretty pleased with how they came out, for the moment!  The following months/weeks/days/hours(??) will tell me how good a job I've done!!

The rest of the brake bits have since arrived so hopefully I'll get a chance to work on them at some point soon!  I'm also tempting to order some lowering springs but am slightly wary as I'm not sure how the old shocks will react...

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 04:46:07 PM »
The input shaft bearing is supposed to run forever but I doubt many people have tried it under track conditions.

Tags:

anything