Author Topic: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs  (Read 15030 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »
Use comparison sites as reference but watch the small print.......
Indeed. I'm just starting to look for insurance for another vehicle (motorcycle) which my current insurers are ceasing to include in their categories of vehicles for which they offer insurance.
If I use the comparison sites the lower prices invariably don't include all sorts of cover such as pillion, foreign use (other than minimum legal), etc, and/or have ridiculous compulsory excess levels. Once you get to the better known/rated insurers offering reasonably inclusive cover the quotes are much more consistent and compare closely with what I have been paying.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
When I was hunting for insurance for the HR-V, Aviva, my insurer for many years, quoted me well over £300. I am 76.Poole. Full NCB,  Aviva driving app 9/10, kept in drive, 7k miles p.a.
This was £100 more than my Karoq cost. LV quoted £275 and then when I went back to take it out it had jumped to just over £400.
I went to visit the Meerkats and Aviva did an online only quote of £265, £5 more than the Karoq. So I grabbed it.
As others have said, shop around. But beware that quotes from the same company can change within an hour on the comparison sites and never in my experience, do the go down!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
Yes, I noticed the quotes do jump around - I had a quote of £670 and then when I went back to check it only a few days later it had gone up to £730.

That's when I thought what would they charge for a hot hatch if it's that expensive... and the quote was less than the Jazz! Same details and both cars valued at the same amount.

I think one of the reasons may be Honda's ridiculous parts prices - on the wheel trim thread it was mentioned that four plastic wheel trims for the EX are nearly £600. That's not much different than the cost of 4 entire non-Honda alloy wheels fitted with expensive Michelin Cross Climate tyres - just for some plastic wheel trims!

A VW Polo GTI uses many of the same parts from standard Polos, and they make many thousands of them so parts will be plentiful. It is strange that a car with nearly double the horsepower is cheaper to insure than a Jazz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:02:51 PM by sportse »

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 10:53:46 AM »
If anyone here has an 'IN' with any insurance company, I and I assume many others, would be interested to hear the reasoning behind the ludicrous insurance prices.
What is so very strange is that Kia & Hyundai cars with any sort of 'E' involved in traction
Have much lower insurance groups. I was seriously considering buying a Honda PHEV or even EV when they come out next year, but I shall investigate the insurance costs VERY carefully before parting with my dosh!
Honda E group is 25-29. Pure EV and CHEAPER group than both Jazz & HR-V????
Jazz MKIV 18-20, Crosstar 19
HR-V 30 (Elegance) 31 (Advance & Advance Style)
So you guys think YOU have a problem!!!!! :'( So saying I got the hR-V insured for £260 with Aviva, online, 'phone only policy, via the Meerkats.)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
Honda E group is 25-29. Pure EV and CHEAPER group than both Jazz & HR-V????
Jazz MKIV 18-20, Crosstar 19
HR-V 30 (Elegance) 31 (Advance & Advance Style)
So you guys think YOU have a problem!!!!! :'( So saying I got the hR-V insured for £260 with Aviva, online, 'phone only policy, via the Meerkats.)

The person I was in contact with at Aviva said that they ranked the Jazz as group 40, despite the official rating being 18-20.

It's strange the HRV has an official rating of 30 vs the Jazz at 20 when they are virtually identical in performance/equipment.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 11:14:30 AM »
I'd have thought that Honda moving the safety systems from behind the front bumper to higher up behind the windscreen would be a repair cost saver.

Aviva, insurance group 40 !!!
Let's be careful out there !

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 04:26:59 PM »
Although the insurance on my Crosstar doesn't need to be renewed until November, I thought I'd check on Meerkat to see if mine is likely to rise crazily as well and I'm thankful that it doesn't look that way. £200-250 (annual mileage approx. 10k) which is about what I paid last November with General Accident.

There were two that looked particularly unattractive: "Doddle Cover" at £1045 with £1750 compulsory excess and "Smartdriverclub" (that would have wanted a box fitted) at the bargain price of £6130 - although their compulsory excess was just £200  :o

Karoq

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 05:37:53 PM »
Those 'loony' prices intrigue me. Why the do it?If they don't want to insure that type of vehicle why quote at all?
Weird!

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2022, 11:22:32 AM »
Many thanks for the recommendations.

I was still struggling to get a decent quote - SAGA were £720 and others similar.

I saw this week that there is a new website - MoneySavingExpert Compare+ Car Insurance.

Having put in my details, I have several quotes around the £420-£440 mark now :)

Much better for a low powered Jazz.

They may be worth a try for others too.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
Just make sure the small print hasn't got any surprises.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 06:50:38 AM »
Just make sure the small print hasn't got any surprises.

Thanks, I've been through the details - main one just seems to be regarding unattended running.

Most policies say not covered if the car is running and unattended, reasonable if you leave the car running to defrost and go inside to have a cup of tea.

This one says not covered when running unless someone is sitting inside the car.

So no pumping up the tyres from a cigarette socket compressor - interesting when that's what Honda give you with the bottle of goo to fix a flat.

I have bought a can of the pressure tyre foam instead - that's what the hire company I use in Spain put in all their cars instead of the complicated manufacturer compressor and goo bottle. I also have a battery powered compressor.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 08:43:07 AM »
I used to put my Dad as other driver with my wife and it came down £100.

But you are right, the prices is crazy and not consistent. Plus when you make a claim it affects your premium even more!

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 10:49:48 AM »
I have just reinsured with SAGA for £295 i am 72 full ncb and drive 12k

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2022, 02:43:19 PM »
Final prices FYI:

Renewal with Aviva... £801!!

New policy with Saga... £689

I've taken out cover with John Lewis Finance, for £434. They were one of the best prices and a well known name.

Having been through the policy booklet and documents, the cover is almost the same as Aviva - just a £60 windscreen excess instead of £0, but I haven't needed a new one for years.

With Aviva and Saga the cost of insuring a Jazz was more than a Polo GTI with the same details.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »
So, why do you suppose the insurance costs for a Jazz are far more than many other makes of car with similar specifications?
Maybe Dan can tell us?
My last renewal  back in March was £585 with NFU, (age 85, Birmingham postcode, full NFB)

Tags:

anything