Author Topic: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs  (Read 858 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »
Use comparison sites as reference but watch the small print.......
Indeed. I'm just starting to look for insurance for another vehicle (motorcycle) which my current insurers are ceasing to include in their categories of vehicles for which they offer insurance.
If I use the comparison sites the lower prices invariably don't include all sorts of cover such as pillion, foreign use (other than minimum legal), etc, and/or have ridiculous compulsory excess levels. Once you get to the better known/rated insurers offering reasonably inclusive cover the quotes are much more consistent and compare closely with what I have been paying.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: HR-V e:HEV 6 Hondas owned in the past.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
When I was hunting for insurance for the HR-V, Aviva, my insurer for many years, quoted me well over 300. I am 76.Poole. Full NCB,  Aviva driving app 9/10, kept in drive, 7k miles p.a.
This was 100 more than my Karoq cost. LV quoted 275 and then when I went back to take it out it had jumped to just over 400.
I went to visit the Meerkats and Aviva did an online only quote of 265, 5 more than the Karoq. So I grabbed it.
As others have said, shop around. But beware that quotes from the same company can change within an hour on the comparison sites and never in my experience, do the go down!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 50 mpg
  • My Honda: 21 EX Platinum White Pearl & Grey Leather
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2022, 05:01:10 PM »
Yes, I noticed the quotes do jump around - I had a quote of 670 and then when I went back to check it only a few days later it had gone up to 730.

That's when I thought what would they charge for a hot hatch if it's that expensive... and the quote was less than the Jazz! Same details and both cars valued at the same amount.

I think one of the reasons may be Honda's ridiculous parts prices - on the wheel trim thread it was mentioned that four plastic wheel trims for the EX are nearly 600. That's not much different than the cost of 4 entire non-Honda alloy wheels fitted with expensive Michelin Cross Climate tyres - just for some plastic wheel trims!

A VW Polo GTI uses many of the same parts from standard Polos, and they make many thousands of them so parts will be plentiful. It is strange that a car with nearly double the horsepower is cheaper to insure than a Jazz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:02:51 PM by sportse »

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: HR-V e:HEV 6 Hondas owned in the past.
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2022, 10:53:46 AM »
If anyone here has an 'IN' with any insurance company, I and I assume many others, would be interested to hear the reasoning behind the ludicrous insurance prices.
What is so very strange is that Kia & Hyundai cars with any sort of 'E' involved in traction
Have much lower insurance groups. I was seriously considering buying a Honda PHEV or even EV when they come out next year, but I shall investigate the insurance costs VERY carefully before parting with my dosh!
Honda E group is 25-29. Pure EV and CHEAPER group than both Jazz & HR-V????
Jazz MKIV 18-20, Crosstar 19
HR-V 30 (Elegance) 31 (Advance & Advance Style)
So you guys think YOU have a problem!!!!! :'( So saying I got the hR-V insured for 260 with Aviva, online, 'phone only policy, via the Meerkats.)
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 50 mpg
  • My Honda: 21 EX Platinum White Pearl & Grey Leather
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
Honda E group is 25-29. Pure EV and CHEAPER group than both Jazz & HR-V????
Jazz MKIV 18-20, Crosstar 19
HR-V 30 (Elegance) 31 (Advance & Advance Style)
So you guys think YOU have a problem!!!!! :'( So saying I got the hR-V insured for 260 with Aviva, online, 'phone only policy, via the Meerkats.)

The person I was in contact with at Aviva said that they ranked the Jazz as group 40, despite the official rating being 18-20.

It's strange the HRV has an official rating of 30 vs the Jazz at 20 when they are virtually identical in performance/equipment.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2022, 11:14:30 AM »
I'd have thought that Honda moving the safety systems from behind the front bumper to higher up behind the windscreen would be a repair cost saver.

Aviva, insurance group 40 !!!
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: