Author Topic: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs  (Read 15039 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Ridiculous insurance renewal costs
« on: May 13, 2022, 05:23:34 PM »
Has anyone renewed their car insurance recently, and can recommend an insurer please?

I might average 15k miles a year, but the renewal quotes for the Jazz Mk4 are just crazy:

Saga now want £740pa and Aviva are likely to be similar based on an initial quote of £650pa last year.

Full no claims, but Aviva tell me they have now classed the Jazz in insurance group 40 out of 50 themselves.

I know some early model Jazz had issues with people stealing the catalytic converters, but those were mainly low value cars and a replacement can be had for £100 on eBay and is a quick fit.

I put through a quote with the same details for a 2020 VW Polo GTI... and it was £50pa cheaper than the Mk4 Jazz despite being a hot hatch and having double the horsepower, sports suspension, etc!

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
Re: Ridiculous insurance renewal costs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
Quotemehappy.com have been reasonably priced for me (low mileage, off road parking, but in London, where prices tend to be higher).  They're pretty much all online but I've had no problems over renewal costs.  Of course, things may have changed since my last renewal last December....

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 07:46:34 PM »
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Steve P

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 08:30:33 PM »
 I've found CSIS really good if your eligible. They cover serving and former civil and public servants.

https://www.csis.co.uk/eligibility/

Wivenhoe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 09:32:02 PM »
NFU are particularly good for new cars. They provide a new replacement for a stolen / written off car for 2 years.

I read recently all car insurance quotes are rising due to 2 reasons - change in law where new clients cannot be offered a discount and as the prices in the second hand market and spares costs have rocketed the insurers are seeing significant costs in claims. Any increase then carries the insurance tax of 12%. 

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 10:49:51 PM »
LV have given me a good deal for the past two years. Renewal is due soon and I wait with interest to see if there's a big hike in the price.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 04:43:01 AM »
Same here. After reading a similar post here earlier this year I was expecting a battle but LV only raised mine by a few £

I'm still paying LV less than Direct Line were quoting me 5 years ago.

These newer cars aren't cheaper to insure because they are more expensive to fix.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 06:21:07 AM »
Full no claims, but Aviva tell me they have now classed the Jazz in insurance group 40 out of 50 themselves.

Not all insurers use the ABI group ratings, they are free to rate and group as they choose. I had a look at a similar car to yours KF21UOV https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-Used-2021-Honda-Jazz-EX-ev666125#listing=148871601/NONE and according to an online car insurace group checker, it comes up as a group 20 https://www.cuvva.com/insurance-groups.

As ever the key is to shop around. It's an annual chore, but something I do for each of our households general insurance products at renewal and often saves a lot of money. I always start with the comparison sites and then try a few direct, such as those recommended by fellow forum members.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 07:50:46 AM »
Use comparison sites as reference but watch the small print.

My broker friend has said that comparison site companies like to get into your top 5 because that's where most business comes from. To do that they cut cover and increase excess.

One guy turned up at my friends brokerage last year and when my friend checked his policy, from a comparison site, he asked whether he realised that because of his age he wasn't insured to drive at night. Hidden deep in the small print and not specifically mentioned as it should have been.
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 07:58:07 AM »
Modern cars like a Mark4 Jazz have lots of sensors: all mounted in the vulnerable part of the car:  behind the front bumper. So in a crash they all may need replacing and possibly the wiring loom and connectors if exposed to the weather.

Given component shortages, delays mean hire car costs will rise.

Some Teslas took 6 months to fix due to shortages.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 08:28:06 AM »
I've used Direct Line for years, they always seem good value and paid up when my wife wrote her car off without any fuss. They have just renewed insurance on my Crosstar for £275.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 09:18:51 AM »
Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Many thanks - do you know why the Jazz is such as high risk, costing more to insure than a VW GTI?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2022, 10:09:50 AM »
As an 85 year old, I renewed my Jazz Mk4 EX insurance, back in March, with NFU and it cost me £585, which included my 2 daughters, based on an annual mileage of 9000 and located in a Birmingham postcode. I have Maximum No Claims Bonus and the car is garaged overnight. The quote without my daughters was even more.

I tried several of the On-line companies & comparison sites, some of the quotes were well over a £1000, so like others have said, I just don't understand the logic of the basis for quotation, particularly when one of our members can get cover on his Crosstar for £275, or half of my cost. Obviously his parameters must be somewhat different to mine.

Thingy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 11:49:40 AM »
I renewed with Quote Me Happy in April for £299.02. Last year it was £260.22. Age 73, living in Hertfordshire.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »
I've used Direct Line for years, they always seem good value and paid up when my wife wrote her car off without any fuss. They have just renewed insurance on my Crosstar for £275.

...when my wife wrote her car off without any fuss. :)

Tags: