Author Topic: Poor mpg.  (Read 1265 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Poor mpg.
« on: May 13, 2022, 04:58:01 PM »
Since starting to do a few short journeys I find that on the odd long trips I get poor mpg. Nothing like I used to achieve. Today, I covered 108 miles of mainly dual carriageway with a few miles of country and single track roads thrown in (Average speed 39 mph max 63 mph). My ScanGauge mpg was only 46.7 compared to the 56 mpg I used to get.
On my return, the first thing I checked was the wheels for warmth. Nothing. The tyre pressures were my normal 35 psi (I check them regularly) and nothing else has changed. The car boot is empty and we were two up as normal. I cannot explain it. Because I fill up so infrequently I now use 97 RON E5 at every top-up.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Poor mpg.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 10:56:56 PM »
How many miles does it take to wear off the rust that builds up on the brake discs when the vehicle is standing? I'm sure I can hear something rubbing when I start driving my Crosstar if it's been idle for a couple of weeks. Whether it's that or something else, it seems to take some miles after a period of idleness for the mpg to look good.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:42:23 PM »
Could be something like that. I hardly use the brakes so the rust may hang around. Perhaps a few hard stops at the start of a long journey might clean the discs up quicker.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:21:04 PM »
remember the E-10 petrols havent been out that long .. since using the stuff lol i calculate ive lost between 4-8 mpg depending on motorway driving etc.. on unleaded i could squeeze 58mpg . now can just reach 50mpg  since using E fuels

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 07:23:34 AM »
We have none driving people advising Governments about their futures as lobbyists put before the motorists who are keeping the country running. What can you do? But drive less on a fuel which costs more & is less efficient.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 04:35:24 PM »
remember the E-10 petrols havent been out that long .. since using the stuff lol i calculate ive lost between 4-8 mpg depending on motorway driving etc.. on unleaded i could squeeze 58mpg . now can just reach 50mpg  since using E fuels
I use 97 RON E5 now that I fill up so infrequently. I only have to buy petrol every two months now.

WelshBeauty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSi SE
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 09:43:50 PM »
Now that you've finished your renovation!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »
Now that you've finished your renovation!
We have been moved in for almost a year now. The house is perfect and the garden is now our priority. We spend hours in it.

Tags: