Author Topic: Ridiculous cost of replacement wheel trims  (Read 4255 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Re: Ridiculous cost of replacement wheel trims
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 11:07:36 AM »
If those plastic trims are so great I wonder why they are not fitted on the Crosstar.  It can't just be that buyers, like my wife, preferred the Crosstar wheels because they looked like flowers?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
If those plastic trims are so great I wonder why they are not fitted on the Crosstar.  It can't just be that buyers, like my wife, preferred the Crosstar wheels because they looked like flowers?
I dont think they are great. But its what came as standard on the EX.     Honda would do well to listen more to their european staff  because , frankly,  Japanese and Asian style  tastes and equipment priorities  are different to western ones.   I am not saying one is  better than the other, just different.  Maybe they are only consulting the opinion of senior executives based in  the west, who are themselves Japanese born.

I would have preferred  diamond cut wheels like the crosstar.     ,but these have their own disadvantages  . They are expensive to refurbish  or replace, and can suffer from  'white worm' corrosion creeping under their  clear laquer coating.  My  neighbours 4 year old Mercedes Benz already has some. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »
Japanese and Asian style  tastes and equipment priorities  are different to western ones. 

A bit like the top glove box on the Jazz - I struggled to find what you could put in it until I came across pictures of Japanese models and aftermarket non slip mats to go inside... it's a glove box for your cigarettes and lighter!

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Hf1624cd35f704c8d98377c51f15f1398f/Car-glove-box-Anti-slip-mat-for-Honda-JAZZ-FIT-2020-2021-Co-pilot-storage-box.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:54:00 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 05:11:14 PM »
Face mask, pen and notepad :)
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 07:48:04 PM »
A bit like the top glove box on the Jazz - I struggled to find what you could put in it

What you could fit in it...? What we fit in it: Parking disc, writing pad plus pen, spare face masks, remote control of our parking barrier and garage doors and some other well-intentioned junk.
Very handy and easy to reach from the driver's seat. After our Jazz I really missed it in the Yaris, just like those ingenious cup holders in the dashboard.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 01:33:43 PM »
The plastic wheel trims on the EX put me off that variant of the Jazz, which is one reason why I bought the Crosstar. And to learn that Honda want £150 for a plastic wheel trim is just unbelievable. 
There is another thread here about high insurance prices. Well, if £150 for a plastic wheel trim is indicative of Honda parts pricing then repair costs will be astronomical.

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 10:21:35 PM »
A good alert for me on Honda parts prices in the UK - I don't know yet if they are similar in NZ.
I have damaged the wheel cover on my left front wheel, so when I put the car in for an annual service I will instruct Honda that the cover is not to be replaced.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 05:18:10 AM »
When I look around at the number of kerbed alloys I can see a lot of EX's with damaged trims on the horizon.

Yes they are easier to clean but at what cost.

Honda should produce a far cheaper set of replacements. If Halfords can sell a full set for around £18 to £26 then surely Honda can do similar.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 09:26:07 AM »
When I look around at the number of kerbed alloys I can see a lot of EX's with damaged trims on the horizon.

Yes they are easier to clean but at what cost.

Honda should produce a far cheaper set of replacements. If Halfords can sell a full set for around £18 to £26 then surely Honda can do similar.
Yes, but they won't because they have a captive customer base to financially exploit. Honda will be making windfall size profits from these trims - so have no incentive to reduce the price.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 10:42:30 AM »
Just look at the options price list on any Honda car model and the prices are insane.They are just taking the p*ss.
All manufacturers do it but in my experience of many makes, Honda beat the others by miles.
As said above, they think they can rip off their captive audience.
£94 for a set of rubber mats for the HR-V. Ok they are fitted, but rubber mat sets can be bought for Halfrauds or Lidl  for around £20 max.
Leather seats In the HR-V £1,200 and they aren't even all leather, they are a mixture of leather and textile. Tinted windows (which many makers fit as standard, Honda charge four time s the price of independent tinting companies and so it goes on!
Anyone who buys any non essential options from Honda has, IMHO, more money than sense!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »
The problem is  the wheel is a unique design needing unique fittings for the plastic trim.  Until  a third party starts making aftermarket plastic trims  that also fit  , Honda have a monopoly ,and other car brands also ask silly money when they have a monopoly.     

Unfortunately the number of Jazz fitted with these unique wheels is possibly too small to attract aftermarket production. Not sure these  wheels are  common even in Japan. 
      Maybe someone ,perhaps in China, will tool up with moulds  to produce alternative designs that will clip onto these wheels  ,( or illegal  'Honda' Fakes.  )    They might already do so.    But with low production  numbers and shipping from the far east they may not be particularly  cheap and may not add value when the car is sold.
In the past with other car brands I have removed vulnerable looking expensive OE Plastic wheel caps  before they got damaged, and used cheap but attractive alternatives until refitting the originals on resale.     

Maybe someone will see the business opportunity of repairing and respraying  damaged caps on an exchange basis.
  ;)  Either the whole job   or just filling and finishing   then getting a batch of them colour matched and sprayed professionally . 

There are quite a few local  firms who make car mats custom cut to pattern.  Easy enough to include the MK 4 in their catalogue.    Even My Honda originals mats  were made in the Netherlands.   (I got them at a bargain price of £50   , but suspect I could have got something just as good for £35   ,possibly even made by the same  OE manufacturer.)
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 06:22:46 PM »
I have a tiny damage to the edge of one "wing" of the rear right "fan". Fortunately, the wheel just keeps turning.  :D
To the eye, a drop of silver-gray paint will also solve "the problem". So I have not researched the price in Polish zloty of a new wheel trim.
I really don't want (my wife) to know...  :o
If nothing goes right, go left!

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »
I have a tiny damage to the edge of one "wing" of the rear right "fan". Fortunately, the wheel just keeps turning.  :D
To the eye, a drop of silver-gray paint will also solve "the problem". So I have not researched the price in Polish zloty of a new wheel trim.
I really don't want (my wife) to know...  :o
Sounds like you can fix it yourself but if you have more severe damage then probably worth checking how much Chips Away would charge to mend it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 08:18:13 PM »
Yes, but they won't because they have a captive customer base to financially exploit. Honda will be making windfall size profits from these trims - so have no incentive to reduce the price.
Right, and doesn't every manufacturer? You can't single out Honda for that, they are all guilty of serving their own best interests and not the consumers. If you know of a manufacturer that bucks the trend, do say.

As for windfall, they're hardly BP...... ???

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 10:27:17 PM »

As for windfall, they're hardly BP...... ???
[/quote]

True, perhaps I was a bit overdoing it there!

Tags:

anything