Author Topic: Rattle from behind Dashboard at low speeds on rough roads  (Read 2132 times)

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
Rattle from behind Dashboard at low speeds on rough roads
« on: April 29, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »
Hi there,

Has anyone got a rattle from behind the dash at low speeds on rough roads?

Its quite metallic sounding, almost like coins rattling, but we have removed all the loose stuff in the pockets and glovebox.

I unclipped the glovebox and panel below and it still happens.

The only thing that seems to help is if you move the heater direction control when it happens, so maybe its coming from the heater box?

Thanks

Richard

Glosrich

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Rattle from behind Dashboard at low speeds on rough roads
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 05:26:40 PM »
Spent some time this afternoon investigating...

I removed the trim with a duct that is in the quarterlight area by the end of the dash, just using a plastic trim tool, underneath is a Phillips screw that secures the end of the dash to the metal frame.

This screw had worked loose and if you tapped the top of the dash you could recreate the metallic rattling noise.

I put a bit of threadlock on it and tightened it up, now when the tap the dash....silence!

A quick test drive proved the noise has gone.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 06:06:43 PM »
well done for finding the rattle  :D

I don't suppose you noticed how the panel was fixed ?  mine annoys me as its loose and sticks up at the windscreen end

I guess the previous owner might have removed it to run a dash cam cable and broke a fixing in the process. Bit reluctant to have a look in case I make it even worse.

Glosrich

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »
Any blunt instrument (I used a plastic trim removal tool) under the back of it and it pops out from the side nearest to the seat, just clips in to the surrounding trim.

Hope this picture helps.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 03:16:39 PM »
an old plastic card, such as a credit card, will often work well for jobs like this. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 10:10:21 PM »
Any blunt instrument (I used a plastic trim removal tool) under the back of it and it pops out from the side nearest to the seat, just clips in to the surrounding trim.

Hope this picture helps.

thanks for that , the photo is great , gives me confidence to remove it , I have some plastic trim removers.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 05:06:25 PM »
Spent some time this afternoon investigating...

I removed the trim with a duct that is in the quarterlight area by the end of the dash, just using a plastic trim tool, underneath is a Phillips screw that secures the end of the dash to the metal frame.

This screw had worked loose and if you tapped the top of the dash you could recreate the metallic rattling noise.

I put a bit of threadlock on it and tightened it up, now when the tap the dash....silence!

A quick test drive proved the noise has gone.
Same for me last year, I fought several months trying to find this annoying noise when I found this screw loose.

Glosrich

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 06:55:11 PM »
Did you post the solution, I couldn't find it?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 12:46:35 PM »
Did you post the solution, I couldn't find it?
Honestly I don't remember, maybe I posted it in another forum. I fought some months against this noise, believing it was coming from the glovebox or the airbag (mine is right hand traffic): I put some soft tape on the glovebox frame, I secured some cables behind it, I tried to drive as passenger while a friend war driving on potholes... nothing to do. Then accidentally I found that the dash panel near the windshield was loosen and noisy, so I found this damned phillips screw. The same of our car, on the right side. Oh how I was upset....

Tags:

anything