Author Topic: Variable servicing setting  (Read 3726 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Variable servicing setting
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »
Modern synthetic oils have a long service life.  Maybe its becoming the new normal  not to change oil unless actual mileage or an assessment of  oil  condition requires it.  They can call it eco friendly. A bit like not changing towels and bedding in a hotel.    Of course it also saves them money.  But does the customer benefit? 

Another thought.  Its normal now to suck the old oil out through the dip stick tube rather than undoing a drain plug.
They may not get all old stuff out  which mixes with the new oil making it look dirty.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2022, 12:42:33 PM »
Maybe its becoming the new normal  not to change oil unless actual mileage or an assessment of  oil  condition requires it.  They can call it eco friendly. A bit like not changing towels and bedding in a hotel.    Of course it also saves them money.  But does the customer benefit? 
It seems to be they are not going for ultimate long engine life now, just low costs. It also makes the service plans look good value as people would assume at least an oil change every service.

Its normal now to suck the old oil out through the dip stick tube rather than undoing a drain plug.
They may not get all old stuff out  which mixes with the new oil making it look dirty.

I checked on mine, and confirmed that the oil hadn't been changed. It's going back in a few weeks to have it done and the variable service system switched off.

(On the Dacia I believe a proper oil change requires removing a crossmember as the drain plug is underneath, so when they do change it, it might just be from the filler tube.)

I suspect the Jazz will be my last petrol engine car, everything seems to be moving to electric. At least there isn't much to do on a service.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »
Modern synthetic oils have a long service life.  Maybe its becoming the new normal  not to change oil unless actual mileage or an assessment of  oil  condition requires it.  They can call it eco friendly. A bit like not changing towels and bedding in a hotel.    Of course it also saves them money.  But does the customer benefit? 

Another thought.  Its normal now to suck the old oil out through the dip stick tube rather than undoing a drain plug.

I suck the oil out of dipstick hole now and change filter every 2nd oil change,  I get pretty much 4 litres out - which is what I put in, and oil is just above 'full' mark on dipstick ( never moves between oil changes and I hate having oil containers with 0.2 litres left in hanging around garage ). 

The best 'quick' oil check is to get a drop of oil off dipstick and rub it between thumb and finger, if it feels 'sticky' rather than 'slippery' it is time to get rid of it,  also smell can play a big part - does it smell 'burnt' ?

I got a Sealey TP696 5.5 litre vacuum extractor years ago for about £50, now the cheapest I can find it is about £76 on Amazon    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WZF74M/

---  this 4 litre one will be OK for Jazz, Civic etc and a lot cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313913252903?epid=23017014869

The thing I like about the 5.5 litres on is that it has a spring lined hose ( like those springs you can get to hang curtains on ) which is much better to get down dipstick tube - where the 4 litre on ( according to picture ) has a soft clear plastic hose.

You can also use these vacuum extractors for getting oil and petrol out of lawnmowers, draining windscreen washer bottle on a car etc. etc.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:15:38 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 01:04:10 PM »
My old 2002 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 petrol was 2 years or 20k miles.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 01:08:48 PM »
I suck the oil out of dipstick hole now and change filter every 2nd oil change,  I get pretty much 4 litres out - which is what I put in, and oil is just above 'full' mark on dipstick. 

That's where it should not be... :(
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 01:56:13 PM »
There was some research done on Volvo servicing - standard servicing was every 18k miles, but if you serviced every 10k miles then breakdowns were only half as much. There are a lot of benefits to regular servicing.

With the Sony and Honda partnership, full EVs shouldn't be too far away - no servicing required, just a quick check underneath.

With telematics, the car can even tell the dealer about fluid levels for the brakes and battery cooling, battery health, etc. without a visit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 02:40:30 PM by sportse »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 02:50:47 PM »
I suck the oil out of dipstick hole now and change filter every 2nd oil change,  I get pretty much 4 litres out - which is what I put in, and oil is just above 'full' mark on dipstick. 

That's where it should not be... :(

LOL - always been there on every car I have had, and despite all the scare stories of 'blown seals' and major engine damage from too much oil - I have never, repeat never had an engine problem despite large mileages,  even my 190,000 mile Civic never used any oil between changes,, :o  Better a bit too much oil than not enough...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »
Have just booked my Jazz in for it's first service, next month, as part of my 5 year plan.
Whilst talking to service reception, I asked whether the oil will be changed?
I received an emphatic YES, and he was amazed that I would think otherwise!
I will however be checking, when I get the car back ;D

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
Have just booked my Jazz in for it's first service, next month, as part of my 5 year plan.
Whilst talking to service reception, I asked whether the oil will be changed?
I received an emphatic YES, and he was amazed that I would think otherwise!
I will however be checking, when I get the car back ;D

That's good to hear :)

As well as looking for oil on the invoice it's worth also checking which section of the service book they stamp.

There are two different sections, one for variable services and one for fixed services.

Mine is being turned off, so going forward every service will have an oil change. It's likely I will have two stamps now for the first service - half a service under the variable system and the oil change under the fixed system.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 04:43:59 PM »
Better a bit too much oil than not enough...

I personally would change that into: Better a correct oil level than a bit too much or not enough.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 05:00:43 PM by Jazzik »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 05:08:20 PM »
Better a bit too much oil than not enough...

I personally would change that into: Better a correct oil level than a bit too much or not enough.  ;)

Why is a couple of mm over top mark such a problem for you ?  better to have the expensive oil in the engine than sitting in my garage to be thrown away... even unused oil has a shelf life.  Cannot even use the car engine oil in my motorbikes as they have wet clutch and need special oil.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 05:43:10 PM »
Why is a couple of mm over top mark such a problem for you ?

A problem for me? For me that's not a problem at all. I just don't (over)fill above the max mark... Why would I do that? To have problems?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2022, 05:44:34 PM »

Why is a couple of mm over top mark such a problem for you ?  better to have the expensive oil in the engine than sitting in my garage to be thrown away... even unused oil has a shelf life.  Cannot even use the car engine oil in my motorbikes as they have wet clutch and need special oil.

Too much oil can cause problems. You do hear of people filling their engine to the brim  :o  But I doubt a few millimetres over max would be a problem.

I have lots of almost empty cans of obsolete oil in the garage.  Time I had a clear out . Even the newest, 5W40 is unsuitable for the Mk4.   I'll save some to lubricate the chain on the chainsaw and low tech needs.   

i
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2022, 05:52:45 PM »
But I doubt a few millimetres over max would be a problem.

Maybe not, but I prefer not to try... Why would one do that?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 06:11:02 PM by Jazzik »

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 05:21:03 PM »
My car now switched to fixed servicing.

The menu item on the dash for service is gone, and the infotainment menu button for maintenance brings up a blank screen.

Much better than the previous variable servicing where you would be travelling to the dealers several times a year.

(I had a service loan civic that had it's service reminder light on after only 9k miles. I expect that it may just be the B service as I had initially, with no oil change.)

Tags:

anything