Author Topic: Any way to charge an empty starter battery from the one in the boot?  (Read 4552 times)

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Any way to charge an empty starter battery from the one in the boot?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 06:26:35 PM »
Don't our Jazz MK4 charge the 12v from the HV job?

Some clever electronics there then.

It is easy to do with electronics,  but not in the middle of the Western Desert with a flat battery..

All you need is to have enough power to boot up the ECU to switch on the HV-to-12V converter to charge the battery. Once you've bootstrapped that, the converter can power the ECU (at 12V) whilst it's charging the battery.

I dare say if you knew exactly where to apply power and control signals, you could switch on the DC-DC converter with a PP3 battery.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 06:32:09 PM »
Use your mobile to contact AA ( Abduls Automotives )  recovery service,  give them the map reference and they will turn up with a team of camels and a sledge and tow you to nearest garage. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »
Doesn't the 2012 model use the hybrid battery to start engine anyway ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Bonobo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »
The drive battery holds a high voltage, something like 180volts.
But it should then consist of 180/1.5=120 1.5 v cells, right? So, is it possible to connect to only 8 out of those 120 cells to get exactly 12 volts?

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2021, 11:55:19 PM »
The drive battery holds a high voltage, something like 180volts.
But it should then consist of 180/1.5=120 1.5 v cells, right? So, is it possible to connect to only 8 out of those 120 cells to get exactly 12 volts?

They don't use Ever Ready HP7s.  :D

NiCd and NiMH are 1.2V, but it's not those either.

The HV battery uses Lithium Ion cells which are not 1.5V, but usually 3.6 or 3.7V.

Many portable booster batteries are indeed four Lithium Ion cells wired in series to give about 14.4-14.8V output.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 03:06:26 AM »
Use your mobile to contact AA ( Abduls Automotives )  recovery service,  give them the map reference and they will turn up with a team of camels and a sledge and tow you to nearest garage.

..... or a suitable WhatThreeWords location....... 'stuck, bored, help'
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
Imagine you are in the middle of a desert, and your hybrid jazz 2012 has an empty starter battery. But you have thick and long enough wires, a knife, spanners, screwdrivers and reasonable electric skills. Is there any way to charge an empty starter battery from the one in the boot?

Let us know when you are going into the desert in the Jazz and we will have a crowd fund to buy you an emergency starter battery....

Now lets think what will happen if you run out of fuel,  can you use cactus juice instead of petrol ?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus

culzean

• Approved Member

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »
Doesn't the 2012 model use the hybrid battery to start engine anyway ?
No. The hybrid Mk 2 Jazz still has a starter motor to initially get the engine running but once the engine has warmed up and the car is sure that there's charge in the big battery (nickel-based IIRC so vulnerable to self-discharge) then it will use the big battery to restart the engine when the stop-start activates.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Bonobo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 10:49:44 PM »
The HV battery uses Lithium Ion cells which are not 1.5V, but usually 3.6 or 3.7V.
Many portable booster batteries are indeed four Lithium Ion cells wired in series to give about 14.4-14.8V output.
OK, how about taking 3 or 4 of them then?

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 10:22:36 PM »
OK, how about taking 3 or 4 of them then?
As I said above, portable booster batteries are four Lithium Ion cells wired in series. Yes it would be possible, but putting a hard drain on a small number of cells in the big battery is likely to unbalance the wear on the battery.

Tags:

anything