Author Topic: 2002-2008 Double Din install  (Read 8384 times)

Sterling01

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 1.4 i-DSi SE Manual
2002-2008 Double Din install
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:16:38 PM »
I want to upgrade the stock CD player to a double din media player. CD's are not important as long as I can stick in a USB stick full of MP3's.

To start with, I realised I needed a facia adapter but most on the internet were for left hand drive cars. The right hand drive ones seemed to be very expensive e.g closer to £100. Cheaper versions were available from Hong Kong on eBay, but you can sometimes you can be taking a chance and the delivery timescales can be weeks.

Then I found this : http://xtrons.co.uk/honda-with-manual-air-conditioning-double-din-fascia-facia-adaptor-panel-surround-cd-right-wheel.html Including delivery it was £41 and arrived within 48 hours of me ordering.

Here is what you get :

As you can see, it comes with the facia, 3 slightly different double din surrounds, a large rubber band, 2 side mounting brackets and 4 screws. All in, I'm really happy with this kit.

So this thread will be a build project. I am still deciding on which double din to buy. I plan to take pics whilst I do the install to share on here.

Cheers, Kenny
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:18:39 PM by Sterling01 »

guest1372

Re: 2002-2008 Double Din install
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
That's a good price and the 3 frames should make head unit selection worry free. I guess the heater control graphics will unstick with the help of a scalpel.  Only thing putting me off - DAB is either rare or expensive on these so went for the external unit instead.  If you keep the parts you can always transfer this unit to your next car if necessary.

--
TG

Sterling01

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
I have now completed the job and will take some pictures later. One extra thing I needed to buy was a Connects2, CTSHO010.2 cable. This converted the Honda multiplug to standard ISO and also gave me the connections to hook up the steering wheel controls. Additionally I needed to buy a small cable to convert the Honda antenna to standard. With the steering wheel controls, the Xtrons unit I bought understands long and short button presses, therefore you can configure 10 functions.

Here is the Connects 2 cable. Its for Jazz 2005-2008

Sterling01

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
The double din unit I bought was an Xtrons TD703A http://xtrons.co.uk/td703a-6-95-android-5-1-lollipop-quad-core-64-bit-operating-system-two-din-car-stereo-without-dvd.html

Couple of things to note.
1. The plastic on the dashboard is really soft and even though I used proper plastic trim tools, it still marked the dashboard.

2. I dropped one metal clip down the back which is for the top right corner. Once I replace this, it will sit level on the dash.

The original unit is held in really tight. There is a video on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2chIVsaQYA on how to remove the radio. The heater cables are really tricky and as my glovebox is different to the video, I couldn't even see the blue cable.

It has WiFi and I logged on to Google Play Store and installed iGo sat nav software and Torque Pro. The unit does come with Google maps though.

d2d4j

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SI 5 Dr
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »
Hi

Looks lovely

The igo sat nav is currently under development and there is an issue on the speed cameras i.e there is no option in the igo shop from igo app to buy speed cameras.

Igo devs confirmed bug and are working on it

Many thanks

John

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
very nice!  8)

RE Spirit

• Trader
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: n/a
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »
Looks great, I'm considering to change mine to a double-din when it out of my DC5. haha

Tags:

anything