Author Topic: underside grey paint  (Read 785 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
underside grey paint
« on: May 12, 2020, 12:50:10 PM »
does anyone know anything about the grey paint on the underbody of the mk3, like is it from dipping the car or sprayed on etc?

i only ask as i have noticed that the colour on the underside is only overspray from whatever colour the top of the car is and when the top paint doesnt reach some areas under the car they remain grey

it just got me thinking that if it is just overspray over the grey that the grey paint is the rust proof tough final layer

thanks guys

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: underside grey paint
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
I'm going to call the grey paint "primer".
One thing I noticed on the very early mk3s was that the underside of the bonnet, the inside of the petrol filler cover and inside of the engine compartment did not have top coat on them.
That was the reason I went for the "tinted silver" colour because the difference between the two was difficult to see.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 02:15:53 PM »
I'm going to call the grey paint "primer".
One thing I noticed on the very early mk3s was that the underside of the bonnet, the inside of the petrol filler cover and inside of the engine compartment did not have top coat on them.
That was the reason I went for the "tinted silver" colour because the difference between the two was difficult to see.

thanks for your reply

you say primer but i thought primer always needs a top coat of paint as primer absorbs mosture or do you mean its just grey underbody paint and anything else is just overspray from whatever colour the top of the car is?

i didnt know that about the early cars in the petrol cap and under bonnet, mine is white under these places same as the rest of the car

cheers

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 03:48:04 PM »
It's probably a zinc rich paint.
Many years ago we used a zinc rich paint on galvanized structures that had to have welding done to them.
I almost think the cans were called "cold galv", but it is a long time ago , so I could be imagining it .

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 03:51:47 PM »
Japanese cars usually have a zinc primer on the bottom, followed by a coat of clear underseal. It's not very thick though.

As for cold galvanising paints, old school electricians use stuff called Galvafroid when conduiting, but it costs a small fortune these days. Good stuff though.

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
thanks guys  :D

Tags: