Author Topic: Intelligent Speed Assist Tech May Become Mandatory  (Read 2863 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Intelligent Speed Assist Tech May Become Mandatory
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
I read this as the speed limiter would work on GPS i.e. the limiter would work according to mapped speed limits.
That seems to be the case, but may also use a camera. According to the BBC report (link posted previously seems to have disappeared?):

“Under the ISA system, cars receive information via GPS and a digital map, telling the vehicle what the speed limit is.
This can be combined with a video camera capable of recognising road signs.”

At least there is a recognition that the technology has some way to go yet:

“However, there is concern over whether current technology is sufficiently advanced for the system to work effectively.
In particular, many cars already have a forward-facing camera, but there is a question mark over whether the sign-recognition technology is up to scratch.”

It’ll be interesting to see which positioning system will be used. It may not be coincidental that EU has mandated this at about the same time as EU’s Galileo is coming on line, with its promise of greater position accuracy (allegedly even the open public system is accurate enough to detect which lane a car is in, not just which road it’s on) and independence of the US military system that we all use at present.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
Here is an interesting site about what the EU want to fit and what the industry thinks is workable - this is where fact meets fanciful fiction.

https://www.acea.be/news/article/fact-sheet-cars-and-the-general-safety-regulation-revision

I see the car makers say that speed limit warnings are the best alternative to making drivers aware of speed limits,  just as those flashing speed limit signs work very well ( and nobody can claim they are just there to make money out of motorists ),  truth is only a small proportion of people mean to speed, often it is just lack of attention and a few MPH over the limit.

I think that interactive direction indicators for Audi and BMW cars are a good idea - if they turn the steering wheel more than a certain amount without indicators being activated they get a shock from steering wheel, and also a device to stop them hogging the outside lane on motorways - after they have been in that lane for more than a mile a loud siren should sound in the car and only be muted when they move lanes.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:53:35 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
It’ll be interesting to see which positioning system will be used. It may not be coincidental that EU has mandated this at about the same time as EU’s Galileo is coming on line, with its promise of greater position accuracy (allegedly even the open public system is accurate enough to detect which lane a car is in, not just which road it’s on) and independence of the US military system that we all use at present.

The interesting thing is that the very heart and brains of the Galileo system - the satellites are built in UK, some peripherals like solar panels supplied by Germany,  BAe systems is heavily involved in the launch vehicle ( Ariane rocket) as well.

Britain could easily built its own system as we already built most of it anyway, they reckon about £10billion - well worth it just to p155 the EU off
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:39:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
interesting, some experts advocate just letting the driver know they are speeding is the least intrusive way, once the vehicle starts taking over and cutting power are various times when it should not ( it can be overridden anyway ) we are getting into autonomous car territory ( although they do tend to accelerate towards stationary objects ).   At the moment my Garmin satnav does that - and even the older Honda systems can be programmed to emit a bong or chime at certain speeds ( 30 and 50 seem to be preset ones,  I normally end up enabling at least one on my Civic when I re-calibrate the TPMS when changing from winter to summer tyres and back - because it is the first thing on the menu and you have to navigate past it to get to TPMS ).  Never have the problem with wifes MK2 because it does not object to change of wheels,  but i notice Civic speedometer reads a tad more optimistic with winter tyres on,  must be slightly smaller diameter than summers.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 10:37:33 AM by culzean »

Tags: