Author Topic: How is the spare wheel secured in boot?  (Read 37433 times)

Aitcho

How is the spare wheel secured in boot?
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
I would like to use a spare wheel with my 2012 Honda Jazz and not have to rely on the supplied tyre sealant.

How is the spare wheel secured in the boot? I assume that some sort of spacer fits one of the holes in
the wheel and a bolt passes through it and screws into the floorpan.

As the boot tyre well is carpeted does the carpet have to be removed in order to clamp the wheel to the floorpan or can the fixing point be located through the carpet?

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
Re: How is the spare wheel secured in boot?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
My full-size spare just sits there without any fastening!

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »

Really! Thats quite scary as in an accident it could fly around the car.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
What utter rubbish! It's under the boot floor covering! Then it has to get over the back seats and into the cabin. If that was to happen the spare wheel would be the least of my problems.

That's like saying that everything in the car has to bolted down. What about luggage?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:22:36 PM by Geoffers »

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Really! Thats quite scary as in an accident it could fly around the car.

Can just see the panic as a large black 'donut' sprouts wings and flaps  around our heads as we sail into oblivion   :o

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »
I also have a full size spare, but it is 'nailed' down, using the Honda supplied holding down bolt.
This screws into an existing tapped hole under the carpet, just make a small hole in the carpet to pass the bolt through.

One of my hobbies is model engineering and some years ago, I used to carry a model steam locomotive, weighing around 100kg, in the car. This was securely bolted down to a custom built tubular steel carrying rig, which itself was bolted down to the car. Can you imagine the mayhem that would have caused, had it broken loose, in a crash, or even just an emergency stop.

It never ceased to amaze me how some of my colleagues transported their models in the car, aka wedged in with bits of wood and old cushions. In my opinion it was just asking for trouble.

So, spend the £7 of so and get the right tool for the job.

jamesdean

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
Yes, I agree.  I purchased a full spec spare and using the taped hole in the floor under the carpet I cut a piece of threaded stock, put on a lock-nut and a wheel "fixer" from an Astra. Gave the thread-end a gentle tap with a hammer.  This punched a neat hole through the carpet. The alloy was very dear but now I can undertake 1000 mile round trips in complete confidence.  The "sticky-bead" cavity still holds the excellent air pump AND now some conc. window wash & some emergency oil.  JamesD

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I have managed to locate a web site that shows a breakdown of the spare wheel and the fittings for securing it in the boot.

The two items needed to secure the spare wheel cost approximately £13.99 so seeing that I live in a city in which every road seems to be littered with speed bumps I've decided to buy the parts to ensure that the spare wheel cannot move in the wheel well.

Just waiting for a Nokian All Weather + tyre  (175/65R15) to arrive from Poland and also need to visit a Honda dealer to buy a 15" alloy wheel.

At the moment I am running on 16" wheels with summer tyres but in winter will be switching to 15" wheels fitted with Nokian winter tyres which are directional so that is why I need an All Weather spare wheel!

guest3093

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
I asked a Honda Dealer it I could buy the bolt and washer, but the guy told me it only came as part of a set, and in that case I also needed to buy the spacesaver.

I found the part numbers on the Web, went back in, and ordered them. Just for anyones reference:

Bolt Anchor 79mm
83853-SA7-980      £7.46

Bolt Washer 8x20
93405-08020-08    £1.13

The washer can be used to hold a full size wheel, or a spacesaver, and its kind of double sided.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Thanks for posting those Honda part numbers.

An online Honda dealer is charging £6.53 for the bolt washer/plate and not the £1.13 that you have been quoted, although he is charging the same price for the bolt anchor (79mm).

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »
What utter rubbish! It's under the boot floor covering! Then it has to get over the back seats and into the cabin. If that was to happen the spare wheel would be the least of my problems.

That's like saying that everything in the car has to bolted down. What about luggage?

Have you ever witnessed what happens inside a vehicle in a crash, the loads involved, the deformations, considered the G forces? Are you aware of the G forces? 20G is easily attainable in a crash. That means items will be effectively 20 times heavier. That is a lot of energy. Before anybody says that 20G will have serious effects on the human body, I am talking about vehicle G not occupant G. Occupant G will be lower due to the way the restraints system works.

I work as a crash test engineer so have seen many crash tests and I can assure you that loose items in a car find their way into many places you do not expect. We work very hard to ensure the spare wheel (and other items such as the jack) stay secured to the vehicle.

You are correct about luggage. It is a major risk to occupants in impacts. Something as simple as a first aid kit tin on the rear parcel shelf could kill you if it hit your head. Again I have conducted tests to see how cargo nets work (actually a legal regulation).

We all take risks and choose what risks to take. Having unsecured luggage (or items)  in a vehicle massivly increases the risks of injury. However many people are not aware of these risks.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »

You are correct about luggage. It is a major risk to occupants in impacts. Something as simple as a first aid kit tin on the rear parcel shelf could kill you if it hit your head. Again I have conducted tests to see how cargo nets work (actually a legal regulation).

We all take risks and choose what risks to take. Having unsecured luggage (or items)  in a vehicle massivly increases the risks of injury. However many people are not aware of these risks.

I do not have any loose items in my car for safety reasons, even when picking my nephews daughter up from school she has to put her school bag in the boot of the car and I also use a 'cargo net' to stop items moving about in the boot.

Here is a link to an article taken from the Readers Digest (2003) describing accidents caused by loose items in cars:-

http://www.used-car.com.au/for_sale/car-safety.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/04/15/bc-surrey-laptop-crash-kills-woman.html

In the past I've carried all kinds of junk inside the car but after reading various articles relating to car safety such as the ones linked above all loose items are now consigned to the boot.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »

Talking about risks - I vote that all mobile phones and other devices that distract drivers from looking at the road and thinking about what's happening around them should be firmly bolted under the rear floor of the car, preferably under the spare wheel.  The biggest risk today isn't a spare wheel not bolted down - its the muppets that think they have superhuman powers and can hold a phone conversation / text and drive at the same time - and  I don't have any choice over whether to share the road with them.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:43 PM »
My one (a space-saver wheel) has a long threaded bolt which comes out of the floor and a wing-nut on top of a big washer.
If music be the food of love, play on

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
That appears to be a simple arrangement, at least there is no worry as to what size bolt you would need.

The UK version uses a 79mm bolt which has protrusions that allows you tighten it without the use of tools.

Tags: