Author Topic: Rear wheel noise - bearings?  (Read 1310 times)

Dark Eyes

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz Mk1 Sport Auto
Rear wheel noise - bearings?
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:37:01 PM »
My 2006 Jazz Sport Automatic has developed an intermittent noise from the driver's side rear wheel.
When turning left, particularly at low speeds, it makes a graunching sound, and when it goes over a lump or dip in the road, there is a slight bang; the rest of the time there is no noticeable noise.

Does this sound like the rear wheel bearing needs replacing?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Rear wheel noise - bearings?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:19:12 PM »
A rear wheel bearing is a constant noise. If you jack the car up and rotate the wheel, you should hear the bearing grumble.

I would suspect a suspension problem. Shock mouting? Broken spring?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:21:14 PM »
Sounds like a broken spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark Eyes

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »
I have had a look at the rear springs, and couldn't see any cracks; I also ran my finger around the driver's side one, and couldn't feel any breaks. Neither side seemed to have any noticeable bearing noise, although both have sticky pads that rub as the wheels are rotated. Curiously, I couldn't hear any knocking sound when I bounced up and down on the rear of the car, but maybe it needs to be travelling over a bump to produce that.
I might see i the local garage can have a look at it, and see what they diagnose.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »
I have experienced something similar. It turned out to be a worn drop link - AT THE FRONT.

Dark Eyes

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 04:13:55 PM »
Well it seems it is at front, as I did a thankfully short, local journey at the weekend, and when I parked up, there was smoke pouring off my front brake pads, like a rally car. I manage to get the caliper to release by hitting it with the wheel brace, a few times, and drove home slowly, and with minimal braking.

It's off to the garage on Thursday, so I will see what they discover, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »
Well it seems it is at front, as I did a thankfully short, local journey at the weekend, and when I parked up, there was smoke pouring off my front brake pads, like a rally car. I manage to get the caliper to release by hitting it with the wheel brace, a few times, and drove home slowly, and with minimal braking.

It's off to the garage on Thursday, so I will see what they discover, hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Sounds like a seized caliper, hope you get sorted on Thursday.

Tags:

anything