Author Topic: Second-Hand 2018 Jazz SE -a few thoughts  (Read 2780 times)

RayS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
Second-Hand 2018 Jazz SE -a few thoughts
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:13:20 PM »
I have now owned my used MK3 Jazz SE, for a week. I previously owned a mk1 Jazz. So, here’s (quite) a few words about the car. I don’t yet have a handbook, so I’m struggling a bit with some of the features. I have downloaded the online manual, so may have to bring the laptop into the car for an session.
    Visually, I like the styling. I think it is the best-looking Jazz to date. I think the flatter bonnet is an improvement. The mk1 Jazz bonnet curved down much lower & was very susceptible to stone chips. I have read/seen reviews where the reviewer has criticized the creases in the doors. To me, this breaks up the bland panels of the mk1. The car is a 100mm longer, but looks a lot more, it may be wider as well, I’m not sure.
Inside, all round visibility is excellent, although I have noticed reduced forward visibility due to all the gizmos on the windscreen behind the mirror. Space-wise, it’s a Jazz, no more needs to be said. I find the seats comfortable & supportive. I think Honda should have included lumber support by now, but they haven’t. The driving position is good once you’ve got the seat correctly set. I do like the telescopic steering wheel. I’ve not been on a long journey yet, so can’t comment further.
    Turn the ignition on & oh lord, the instrument panel lights up like a spaceship! What all these symbols indicate I have no clue, but thankfully they mostly disappear after a few seconds. Are all these really needed?  The mk1 was plain & simple.
    Most/all the reviews describe the infotainment system as “clunky”. I don’t know what they mean by that. Having never had a car with a touchscreen I can’t compare it to anything else. So far, I’ve got the DAB radio tuned into Planet Rock, so I’m a happy bunny. I got my phone set-up & downloaded a couple of apps. The Infotainment system in mine is currently using an old version of Android which I don’t think supports Android Auto. Might have to see about getting a more up to date version installed as I would like to use my phones’ navigation app on the screen. The car has two HDMI sockets which I have no idea what they are for, & one USB socket.
    The instrument pack is divided into three areas. The first contains a lot of symbols that illuminate when the ignition is switched on & then disappear. This also contains the rev counter & an indicator that advises when to change gear. The centre dial is the speedometer & the third is a display that can (via the steering wheel controls) be scrolled through to show many, many different items. I really need the handbook to sit in the car & learn these.
    I’m finding it easy to drive. The steering is smoother. None of the “notchiness” of the mk1. The suspension is smoother, although you do feel the bumps in the road. Gear change is effortless & if you follow the car’s advice, you’ll be in 5th at 30mph & 6th at 40mph. Never having driven a 6 speed before I have twice accidently gone from 6th to 3rd but the engine didn’t complain too loudly! Most of my driving is during peak rush hour. I also must cross a busy island where if you see a gap you need to put your foot down & go! This where the IDSI engine of the MK1 let me down. Despite what I’ve read about the IVTEC being gutless I find the initial pulling away acceleration superior to the 1.4 IDSI engine. I’ve had one short trip on the motorway, just for fun really. The engine is reasonably quiet, but I found the tyre/road noise quite loud which was a bit disappointing.
    The automatic features of the lights & wipers need to be learnt before use. The wipers can be set to manual & off. As I use a rain repellent coating on my windscreen I don’t use the wipers very often. The headlights are in Auto mode by default. The off position is non-latching. So, if the car decides to switch the headlights on, you don’t seem able to disagree & switch them off (might be wrong that. Happy to be corrected). If you forget to switch your lights off after exiting the car, they will switch off automatically after an adjustable pre-determined time.

So what do I like & dislike?
I like Planet Rock on the DAB; the room inside; Planet Rock on the DAB; the driving position, Planet Rock on the DAB, the 6 speed gearbox, Planet Rock on the DAB; the comfort level, Planet Rock on the DAB; easy to drive; oh, & Planet Rock on the DAB. 
I dislike the number of symbols on the instrument panel & no spare wheel, just a can of sealant.
    Overall, I’m pleased with it. Don’t give a stuff that it’s (wrongly) considered a “mature” person’s car. I’ve purchased a set of genuine matts which are worth the money for the fit & quality. Still to get are wind deflectors, mud flaps, sill protectors & a spare wheel. If it ever stops raining, I’d like to get some wax on it before it gets too cold.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Second-Hand 2018 Jazz SE -a few thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:19:16 PM »
I like Planet Rock on the DAB; the room inside; Planet Rock on the DAB; the driving position, Planet Rock on the DAB, the 6 speed gearbox, Planet Rock on the DAB; the comfort level, Planet Rock on the DAB; easy to drive; oh, & Planet Rock on the DAB. 

I hope you are aware that Planet Rock is available on other car manufacturer's radios  :D

Except around here, where we have 'Absolute Classic Rock'... which is truncated to Absolute CRock on the display, much to the amusement of the kids.

beerbelly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC 2019
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 04:51:14 AM »
Your happy thoughts are mine too ! The mark 3 is a decent rock solid little car.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
Hi RayS, Like you I have had my latest EX CVT about 3 weeks and concur with all your comments, my best vehicle so far.
Covered around 1k miles so far, Mpg around 50. Not sure about Planet RocK though, prefer Smooth Radio myself!!

However, if yours is the same as mine, IE, 2020My you will not have room for a spare wheel. The recess in the boot has been reduced in depth to only around 125mm, making it too shallow for the wheel>
We think this has been done to create a common floorpan for Jazz, to make room for the battery on the Hybrid version.

As I've said elsewhere, who I am kidding? being the wrong side of 80, i couldn't change the wheel anyway! so I just will live with the can of sealant. Happy motoring!!

Edit, just noticed you are referring to a 2018 model, so scrub my comments about the spare wheel.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:26:33 AM by Kenneve »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:25:39 AM »
Nice review. After nearly four years of ownership, I'd agree with just about all of your assessments, ie it does all the basic "car" things (comfort, convenience, performance, economy, etc) really well. Couple of observations:
The Infotainment system in mine is currently using an old version of Android which I don’t think supports Android Auto. Might have to see about getting a more up to date version installed as I would like to use my phones’ navigation app on the screen.
Good luck with that. Honda have nailed it down so ordinary mortals can't update Android, and I don't think anyone has reported success in getting MirrorLink to work (the problem seems to be that Honda uses an archaic version which is not compatible with the latest version phone manufacturers use). You might be lucky if you have an old phone.

The car has two HDMI sockets which I have no idea what they are for, & one USB socket.
That's interesting. My older car has one HDMI and two USB sockets (one is hidden in the bottom of the storage bin between the front seats).

So, if the car decides to switch the headlights on, you don’t seem able to disagree & switch them off (might be wrong that. Happy to be corrected).
You are correct, you can't switch them off. Doesn't really affect you the driver, but I am still slightly concerned about the effect on other road users of the car seemingly flicking headlights on and off randomly (eg as you drive through areas heavily overshadowed by trees). Also beware of accidentally leaving the stalk in the full beam position so when the lights come on automatically they're on full beam.

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »
It's a good review overall but one thing you said - and which I've seen mentioned before - made me wonder a bit.
The comment about the gimmickry around the mirror restricting the view.
Of what?
Or how tall must you be that it could affect your forward vision?

I'm genuinely interested, honestly, because I'm five ten and the only forward vision it could affect realistically as far as I can see is of birds, planes & high-rise buildings.

In just over a year from new and approaching 13k miles this Sport Navi has been trouble-free and a pleasure to drive.
Well, trouble-free apart from a short satnav hiccough where it thought the car was 60-odd miles away for a little while - but that soon cured itself.  :)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »
Of what?
Or how tall must you be that it could affect your forward vision?

I'm genuinely interested, honestly, because I'm five ten and the only forward vision it could affect realistically as far as I can see is of birds, planes & high-rise buildings.

Undulating roads maybe? Any hilly bits around you?

RayS

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 SE
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

Of what?

Hi Robbie,
Thankyou for your reply.

Coming from previous older cars that did not have this technology with a completly unobstructed view of the road ahead, I found it a bit strange to have a large section of the windscreen obscured by this plastic panel. I have gotten used to it now & find it doesn't obstruct your vision any way.
Cheers.

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »

Of what?

Hi Robbie,
Thankyou for your reply.

Coming from previous older cars that did not have this technology with a completly unobstructed view of the road ahead, I found it a bit strange to have a large section of the windscreen obscured by this plastic panel. I have gotten used to it now & find it doesn't obstruct your vision any way.
Cheers.

Ahh I see .......... it's not something that I ever really noticed so thanks for that.
Re: the spare wheel BTW, I insisted on a spare as part of the deal when I ordered the car because I dislike relying on a squirty can.
Not that I've needed it yet, but we all know Murphy's law.  ;)

@ sparky Paul:  "Hills" and "Lincolnshire", need I say more?  :D

MAZI

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
I'm considering buying one to replace my wifes 2015 Toyota Yaris d4d as it's not Euro6 and we wont be able to use it on the city centre eventually.
I dont like the reflective strips on the sides of the rear window.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

MAZI

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 12:57:35 AM »
I'm considering buying one to replace my wifes 2015 Toyota Yaris d4d as it's not Euro6 and we wont be able to use it on the city centre eventually.
I dont like the reflective strips on the sides of the rear window.

Ok just realised they are actual lights.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
The auto headlight thing on the Mk3 Jazz is definitely an issue. To be fair they come on when it's dull and wet which my Mk2 never did but they come on when almost all other makes of car with auto headlights don't. This morning was a case in point, little or no rain but water spilling over the windscreen from the roof. Headlights on. My concern is that people might read them coming on and off as a signal to pull out. I have been observing other new cars and my, and other people's Jazzes, have lights on when no other car does.

Don't know if there is a fix for this.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 11:51:20 AM »
I always thought that when auto headlights came on there was a certain amount of hysteresis, and the stayed on for a spell before switching back off. Designed to avoid their operation being confused with headlamp flashes.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
The auto headlight thing on the Mk3 Jazz is definitely an issue.

I cannot understand why Honda made the auto headlights on permanently on the Mk3 Jazz, I have them on the Civic and they can be switched off unless the driver thinks the conditions deteriorate enough for them to be on, I can understand the concerns people must have about other drivers thinking they are being flashed in some situations.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
This morning was a case in point, little or no rain but water spilling over the windscreen from the roof. Headlights on. My concern is that people might read them coming on and off as a signal to pull out. I have been observing other new cars and my, and other people's Jazzes, have lights on when no other car does.
Did the water spilling off the roof trigger the wipers?  6 wipes in a short period brings the headlights on.

Tags: