Author Topic: Engine oil  (Read 3970 times)

JazzyJJ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
Engine oil
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »
I was reading in the manual that engine oil “can be consumed at a rate of 1 litre per 625 miles. Consumption is likely to be higher when the engine is new” p492

Any relatively new owners or longer topped up there engine oil between services?

Mines done 2.2k miles so technically could be 4 litres down... technically.

How much oil does the car have when new? And how many litres is between then low and high dip stick measurement? Just curious.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:50:16 PM by JazzyJJ »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Engine oil
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »
I am on my fifth Jazz, both DSI's and i_VTEC, two from new.
 None of these have used engine oil between services.
I think that the engine oil capacity is about 4.5 litres, no idea what the figure is for low to high on the dipstick.

Vic.

JazzyJJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
Anyone checked the oil on new Jazz with the orange plastic thing at bottom of dip stick? Makes it hard to see the level of the oil.. or is it just me? Mine looks ok ie there is oil in there.. just not sure how much. Def got minimum  ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
I bought oil for my upcoming service at lunchtime. Computer at motor factors showed 3.5 litres for an oil change. Manual states 3.6 with filter and 3.4 without. Total capacity is 4.2 litres according to manual.
My engine uses about 2 - 2.5 litres between oil changes (9,000 miles).

Cost of 5 litres of 5W-30 Fully Synthetic, plus an oil filter was £25.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 04:18:20 PM »
I don't check mine very often, but every time I have there's been no evidence of consumption. Many years ago I owned a Mini that went through a gallon a month (oil was cheaper back then, lol). But since switching to Japanese makes I don't think any car has consumed oil.

I'm gobsmacked at Honda suggesting a 1 litre every 700 miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
I don't recall topping up any of my Hondas between services but I still check the level as of routine. I guess as they get older they might use a little more.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
I don't recall topping up any of my Hondas between services but I still check the level as of routine. I guess as they get older they might use a little more.

Non of my Honda cars have ever used any oil between changes,  as for using more when they get higher mileage my first Civic covered 190,000 miles and still used no oil, still started first turn of the key, never had any engine parts replaced or work done on it except routine cambelt changes - that engine was amazing. I fact the whole car just needed discs, pads a new exhaust back box and a couple of batteries (and quite a few sets of tyres).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
My 1.3 Mk 3 used about 500ml between services which surprised me, the first car to use oil in at least the last half dozen or so. My 1.5 is up to 3,500 ish miles and has not used a drop (yet).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:49:28 PM by Skyrider »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
I would be very surprised if any Honda engine in anything used any oil, unless they have been neglected.

Have had several Honda's and none have used any oil between services ever.

Not sure why Honda mention that in the manual as they have the oil tightest engines on the planet.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 02:42:13 PM »
Anyone checked the oil on new Jazz with the orange plastic thing at bottom of dip stick? Makes it hard to see the level of the oil.. or is it just me? Mine looks ok ie there is oil in there.. just not sure how much. Def got minimum  ;D

it really bugs me too, just checked it today and it moves about on the orange cut out, i hate it, i just want metal with two holes drilled in or lines on like all other cars

its probably the only thing that really bugs me about the car, well that and the b pillar black tape that scratches up easily (i know other cars use it but just use plastic like on the mk2 and like the plastic on the back door) how much money did that save in a high wear area over plastic

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 02:51:37 PM by monkeydave »

Robbie MkII

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC SportNavi 2018
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 02:40:15 PM »
I check the oil regularly, it's habitual along with tyres, water, screenwash ........
The first service was in the summer and if it did use any oil it was so minimal as to be unnoticed on the dipstick.
BTW the 1.5 Sport has the nasty orange plastic thing too.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
I bought oil for my upcoming service at lunchtime. Computer at motor factors showed 3.5 litres for an oil change. Manual states 3.6 with filter and 3.4 without. Total capacity is 4.2 litres according to manual.
My engine uses about 2 - 2.5 litres between oil changes (9,000 miles).

Cost of 5 litres of 5W-30 Fully Synthetic, plus an oil filter was £25.

That's a lot for a Honda.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »
That's a lot for a Honda.
Not according to the Honda manual. Since my last oil change (about 2,000 miles ago) it does not appear to have used any! 120,000 miles on clock.

Tags: