Author Topic: Rear side windows struggling to go up  (Read 2170 times)

ChristoC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Rear side windows struggling to go up
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:26:21 AM »
Hi
The side windows in the rear of my jazz are struggling to go up and down. 1 is slow and the other needs to be manually pulled up whilst pressing the button at the same time... is this run by a fuse!? advice appreciated!
thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Rear side windows struggling to go up
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:42:47 AM »
They don't have individual fuses for each window. Sometimes the runners get very dry, especially if, like me, the rear windows are never ever lowered. Wind them down fully, and puff talc into the guides. That can help them slide.

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
ahhhhh thanks very much! will give it a go

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
They are on individual fuses #18 & #19 both 20A, but I suspect wouldn't work at all if blown. Is it the same result using the driver's controls as the rear passenger controls?

The guide here may help: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
Right enough. Fuse box has them all supplied off one fuse but there are auxiliary fuses further down the line.

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:57 AM »
The nearside rear door window would not move. So I checked, fuses, switch, continuity and all fine. Then I had to cut a piece out of the door behind the card as it is impossible to get to the bolts that hold the mechanism without lowering the glass. So after many curses and cut knuckles I got the window out. Checked the motor everything fine. When I came to put the window back in I found the cause. At some time the window had been taken out and when put back was jammed between the rubber and the inside of the door well out of it's track. So lots of manipulation to straighten the rubber. Bags of silicone grease and heh presto all working.
My own fault I don't use these windows but some 30 months after purchase a friend tried the window only to find it didn't work. So Honda's pre sales check was like their warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
"Is it the same result using the driver's controls as the rear passenger controls?" - i think ive only tried it with drivers controls. ill check with rear controls when out later.

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
ive now checked... the behaviour is the same whether using driver controls or rear controls... the window goes down fine... but struggles coming back up....

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
I had a similar problem some time ago and happened to be in my local Honda dealer at about that time. I mentioned it and a guy from the workshop had a look and came back and said the problem was fixed. He powered the windows down, lubricated the channels the windows slide in with silicone spray, helped the windows back up then exercised them a few times. Problem solved.

Vic.

guest1372

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 03:11:56 PM »
OK so it's friction; as above a lubricant should assist. Ensure channels are clean, then apply something like silicone furniture polish if nothing more technical is available.

There was one poster last year who had a frayed cable in the mechanism, but that very unusual.
--
TG

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 03:33:26 PM »
Apparently the safety blockage mechanism stops the windows going up. Because the windows are jamming in the runners the safety blockage mechanism cuts in and stops the window going up. That is why you have to pull them up initially.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
Apparently the safety blockage mechanism stops the windows going up. Because the windows are jamming in the runners the safety blockage mechanism cuts in and stops the window going up. That is why you have to pull them up initially.

Vic.

If the window control senses excess current being drawn by window motors it will cut out, as VicW says it is a safety device in case someones head or finger is in the way of the window. Unfortunately the window control can't differentiate between lack of lubrication on runners and someones head LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ChristoC

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
thanks guys!

Tags: