Author Topic: Nextbase hard wire kit  (Read 5185 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Nextbase hard wire kit
« on: March 02, 2019, 05:26:24 PM »
Hi, am thinking of installing a Nextbase hard wire kit, has anyone got any advice please, especially as to fuse box. As there is a large lump in the middle of the screen, where did you site yours? many thanks.

phillywolf

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 EX Navi
Re: Nextbase hard wire kit
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
Is the big lump you refer to the camera cowl and what a job to site the dash cam without getting the cowl in the picture. Managed to site it just above passenger side eye view but still got a little bit in camera shot because of the wide angle. Paid a local auto electrician to hardwire charged me £15 cash and took him all of 10 minutes. He fed the cable under headlining to door rubber seal and went that way so not going anywhere near the side airbag housing. That cowl is not good for siting dashcams where I would have liked to site it. If anyone comes up with another siting solution I will take note.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:06:00 PM by phillywolf »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:53:32 PM »
Make sure it looks through the part of the screen that is swept by the wipers.

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »
Is the big lump you refer to the camera cowl and what a job to site the dash cam without getting the cowl in the picture. Managed to site it just above passenger side eye view but still got a little bit in camera shot because of the wide angle. Paid a local auto electrician to hardwire charged me £15 cash and took him all of 10 minutes. He fed the cable under headlining to door rubber seal and went that way so not going anywhere near the side airbag housing. That cowl is not good for siting dashcams where I would have liked to site it. If anyone comes up with another siting solution I will take note.
It is the cowl that is the issue I think, the dash am I have at the moment is top left passenger side but is smaller than the nextbase.  I have run that one across the top and down the rubber on door frame and under the glove box and into the cig lighter, but this time might be better to hardwire it. The other place I thought of is drivers side at bottom of screen but could not hide wiring so well and would not be where the wipers clear screen.  Wondering  also whether it might be possible to put it underneath  the cowl, have not got the unit yet, but will try it out there maybe. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
My Nextbase sits slightly below and to the side of the mirror. I don't have the camera cowl but I do have to choose a spot where the sucker avoids the dimpled black screen trim.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 09:21:22 AM »
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/hub/how-to-fit-a-dash-cam/

gives good tips and shows where you can legally mount the dashcam ) you have to avoid the area of windscreen vertically directly above limits of steering wheel and find a place where the wipers sweep.   Fitted Nextbase 512GW to my Civic and the way the wipers work on 8th gen Civic ( they are pivoted each side of windscreen ) they leave a nice un-swept patch of screen in the centre below the mirror.  I did not hardwire the dashcam but used a 3 port 'Ring' cigarette lighter adaptor that I fitted with velcro onto the side of transmission tunnel and ran the cable under the drivers mat and up the door pillar. The Ring adaptor has some LED's on it that show system voltage ( they call it a battery analyser )which are quite useful.

The extra sockets are useful for plugging in satnav and phone chargers etc.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/in-car-power/12volt-multi-adapter/?549777641&0&cc5_826
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »
The main problem seems to be, to get the camera far enough forward to miss the plastic cowl , but still be high enough to not be seen by the driver, whilst still within the wiper swept area.
I have stuck the supplied adhesive disc to the dimpled area and then made up an additional bracket to bring the camera forward to miss the cowl. (see attached photo)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
As far as I remember my kit only came with the suction fitting, so I have to avoid the dimpled section of the windscreen.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
As far as I remember my kit only came with the suction fitting, so I have to avoid the dimpled section of the windscreen.

My 512GW came with one adhesive and one suction base, I used the adhesive base on Civic because I had to go halfway onto dimpled section and placement was pretty critical because of the way the wipers work.  I wanted another adhesive mount for wifes Jazz so that the camera could be swapped between vehicles so I contacted Next base, they could not supply from head office but gave me an e-mail for their place in Wales, I contacted the Welsh place and they could not supply either.  I have seen adhesive bases on ebay that are claimed to be suitable but not made by nextbase so not sure.  Next base will sell you another suction base but it seems not the adhesive type...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:08:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

phillywolf

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
Well, only last week I e-mailed Nextbase Head Office in Caerphilly and they sent me a couple of adhesive pads and no charge. Try again fao Ash  Support@nextbase.co.uk  they were more than helpful fair play.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:12:36 PM by phillywolf »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:21:06 PM »
Well, only last week I e-mailed Nextbase Head Office in Caerphilly and they sent me a couple of adhesive pads and no charge. Try again fao Ash  Support@nextbase.co.uk  they were more than helpful fair play.

Thanks for that contact..

It was over a year ago when I contacted them, maybe the office junior answered my e-mail.... I was shocked that they said they could not help after being referred to them by head office in Surrey.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:26:23 PM by culzean »

phillywolf

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »
Ash (NEXTBASE)
Feb 16, 17:24 GMT
This was my reply from e-mail I sent,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch. For future reference we're only a few mins drive away from Halfords in Caerphilly.

I'll get some spare pads in the post you on Monday.

I hope that helps.
Ash

Technical Support Engineer

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »
The main problem seems to be, to get the camera far enough forward to miss the plastic cowl , but still be high enough to not be seen by the driver, whilst still within the wiper swept area.
I have stuck the supplied adhesive disc to the dimpled area and then made up an additional bracket to bring the camera forward to miss the cowl. (see attached photo)
Is that a nextbase as not seen mine yet?   Do not recognise the stand, how have you adapted it. Thanks.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
When I swapped my Nextbase, from the Mk2.
 I bought a couple of dashboard sticky pads, from Ebay. £3.99.

Cut a section away, to snug it up to the cowl.......

That was back in June. It has stayed stuck. Despite the long summer's sunshine.

Though, the mount's suction pad has had to be repositioned, a couple of times.....  ;)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
Is that a nextbase as not seen mine yet?   Do not recognise the stand, how have you adapted it. Thanks.

Yes it's a standard Nextbase camera and I have made up the horizontal bar, as an adaptor,  from brass sheet, in order to move the camera forward.

Tags:

anything