Author Topic: Parking sensors warning failure  (Read 5822 times)

Twd99

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
Parking sensors warning failure
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »
I had a scuff to the rear tail gate panel as a result of the failure of the parking sensors. No audible warning. Despite it hasn't turned off, i.e the button with green light was illuminated.

I know Honda had disconnected the battery to do some work a few weeks ago and I wonder if it had caused the problem.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Parking sensors warning failure
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
I had a scuff to the rear tail gate panel as a result of the failure of the parking sensors. No audible warning. Despite it hasn't turned off, i.e the button with green light was illuminated.

I know Honda had disconnected the battery to do some work a few weeks ago and I wonder if it had caused the problem.
Are you saying that all the sensors have stopped working, or was it a one-off incident?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:10:23 PM »
Try reversing towards an empty cardboard box and see if the sensors get excited. Or get someone else to walk around the vehicle when reverse gear is selected (I think that tests all the sensors).

The system isn't infalliable: I had an interesting sensor glitch a few days ago when I was driving forward and the sensors warned that I was about to reverse into something. The warning disappeared when I stopped and selected reverse.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »
Interesting. I've had the odd strange behaviour from the sensors. The rear sensors have gone off randomly when I've been reversing and there is nothing there. The front nearside sensor usually sounds when I turn into my drive but sometimes does not.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »
There have been previous reports of spurious warnings from this system, see:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8051.msg39510#msg39510
Although these seem to be false warnings rather than the no-warning incident described by Twd99.

Twd99

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
I had tested all the from and the rear sensors, it doesn't give any warning.

Well I have booked into the dealer for them to check it out.  I have mentioned to them that it was working before and this only happens when they worked on the car to replace the gearbox mounting.

I am just annoyed that there are also dents and scuff. Maybe I should ask them to repair it if they have caused the warning to be disabled.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
They are not active while the handbrake is on.  I wonder if it is something to do with that interlock switch?

I think the garage are likely to say that the parking sensors are an aid and not to be relied on.  It was you who reversed into something because you didn't check your surroundings after all.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »
I think the garage are likely to say that the parking sensors are an aid and not to be relied on.  It was you who reversed into something because you didn't check your surroundings after all.

I agree, sounds like the people who complain when they take satnav directions without considering they might lead them into a problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

I agree, sounds like the people who complain when they take satnav directions without considering they might lead them into a problem.

Yes parking sensors are only an aid, I never needed them on any previous car including Jazz because visibility is great and back window is back of car. I do need them on Civic though as the rear end is very tricky and the bit you see in mirrors is not the back but where side of car curves away - I still use mirrors and look over my shoulder though.

As for satnavs, I still look at map to see where I am heading and may put waypoints in if needed. I always use 'fastest time' ( shortest route will get you into all sorts of problems ) and if I think it is sending me down a narrow side road I will ignore the turning and let it recalculate.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything