Author Topic: Atkinson engine and CVT  (Read 15419 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Atkinson engine and CVT
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
You do have to kick it out of Atkinson mode when you want to move, at last the original version. The facelifted version might have better programming in this respect - the courtesy car I drove earlier this year seemed better.

It's the downside of an automatic - the car can choose what ratio it wants and unless you signal your intentions the older Mk3 prefers to keep the rpm low.

On a cvt how do you kick it out of Atkinson mode, can someone please explain Atkinson mode. Thank you.

As someone else said, I find a quick pull or two on the left paddle much more responsive than the accelerator pedal when wanting to kick it it out of Atkinson. I find flooring the accelerator slower and awkward, and have never noticed a notch.
Perhaps you need to press it further :)

It's not something I notice very often because I very rarely want that kind of acceleration. Others have noticed it though and some think it's a kick down switch, others think it might be a switch that overrides the speed limiter. I don't think it's a traditional kick down switch because the engine seems to kick-down without going that far. However I have noticed that if I push past the click then immediately release the pedal the car can buck around alarmingly so perhaps it's a 'super kick down'. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
It's not something I notice very often because I very rarely want that kind of acceleration. Others have noticed it though and some think it's a kick down switch, others think it might be a switch that overrides the speed limiter. I don't think it's a traditional kick down switch because the engine seems to kick-down without going that far. However I have noticed that if I push past the click then immediately release the pedal the car can buck around alarmingly so perhaps it's a 'super kick down'. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual.
Assuming it is the same as the HR-V.  I have just had one as a demo and can confirm it probably does both, overrides the speed limiter and possible kicks down the gearbox, but as andruec says, it kicks down anyway before the throttle reaches full travel.  So not a conclusive test.  A very quick dab, which is what I generally do, just overrides the speed limiter and doesn't give the gearbox time to react to a gear change.

The manual mentions "Kickdown" on page 395 but nothing about a full throttle stop.

Exceeding the Speed Limit Temporarily in covered on page 426: 
The beeper sounds when the vehicle speed goes higher than the set speed limit with the acceleration pedal depressed completely.
The intelligent speed limiter resumes working once the vehicle speed goes lower than the set speed limit.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:43:42 PM by ColinS »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
You do have to kick it out of Atkinson mode when you want to move, at last the original version. The facelifted version might have better programming in this respect - the courtesy car I drove earlier this year seemed better.

It's the downside of an automatic - the car can choose what ratio it wants and unless you signal your intentions the older Mk3 prefers to keep the rpm low.

On a cvt how do you kick it out of Atkinson mode, can someone please explain Atkinson mode. Thank you.

As someone else said, I find a quick pull or two on the left paddle much more responsive than the accelerator pedal when wanting to kick it it out of Atkinson. I find flooring the accelerator slower and awkward, and have never noticed a notch.

If you haven't found the accelerator pedal detent, don't worry, you don't need it or the power it releases.  :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:20:39 PM by Skyrider »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 05:23:32 PM »

Perhaps you need to press it further :)

It's not surprising that car "Bucks around" if you floor it and immediately release the accelerator. You are applying full power and then releasing the accelerator. Not conducive to smooth, rapid, unobtrusive progress.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:26:38 PM by Skyrider »

Roddy0000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »
I test drove both the 1.5 & 1.3 cvt’s. I liked the extra power of the bigger engine, the 1.3 has to rev more to get past the low power stage. But not having all the goodies that the EX has swung it for me. The gearbox solves all the issues I had with the 1.3 manual and I quite like a revy engine I’m happy with my Choice.
In the 2 months that I have had mine I am quite happy with the power with the CVT box, it pulls away when I need it to....

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »

If you haven't found the accelerator pedal detent, don't worry, you don't need it or the power it releases.  :D

I think my normal driving position makes flooring the accelerator too much of a stretch. Will do a bit of experimenting on a suitable bit of road with no nervous pax.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
I test drove both the 1.5 & 1.3 cvt’s. I liked the extra power of the bigger engine, the 1.3 has to rev more to get past the low power stage. But not having all the goodies that the EX has swung it for me. The gearbox solves all the issues I had with the 1.3 manual and I quite like a revy engine I’m happy with my Choice.

What "goodies" does the EX have over the Sport? I can only think of an extra power socket, climate control, and tinted rear windows. My Sport has tinted rear windows, not difficult to organise. The 1.5 engine is no contest against them, I would not consider a gold plated 1.3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:45:18 PM by Skyrider »

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »

What "goodies" does the EX have over the Sport? I can only think of an extra power socket, climate control, and tinted rear windows. My Sport has tinted rear windows, not difficult to organise. The 1.5 engine is no contest against them, I would not consider a gold plated 1.3.

I prefer comfort and convenience over over a little extra power with the EX you get
climate control (not having this is the deal breaker)
Reversing camera
Keyless entry and start
If I was interested in performance I wouldn’t be driving a Jazz

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »

I prefer comfort and convenience over over a little extra power with the EX you get
climate control (not having this is the deal breaker)
Reversing camera
Keyless entry and start
If I was interested in performance I wouldn’t be driving a Jazz

Climate control - I can turn a knob occasionally.
Reversing camera - I prefer mirrors.
Keyless - Had it on previous cars, don't like it.
Performance - don't need it, but anything is better than a 1.3 Atkinson engine with no hybrid backup.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
Performance - don't need it, but anything is better than a 1.3 Atkinson engine with no hybrid backup.

Seems, you're every bit as pleased with your Sport, as we are with our EXs.....
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Sezlez

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 09:26:02 PM »

Seems, you're every bit as pleased with your Sport, as we are with our EXs.....

We all have different opinions, otherwise we’d all be owning the same car! After deciding to downsize from a Civic, I was open minded between an EX or a Sport (virtually the same price). After test driving both, for me personally, there was no contest.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
The reversing camera, was the decider, for me......
David.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »

I would rather be looking outside than staring at the dashboard when reversing. :o

Dayjo

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »

I would rather be looking outside than staring at the dashboard when reversing. :o

Each, to their own......
David.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 09:51:05 PM »
I remember owning a car years ago with no wing mirrors, no heater and no heated rear screen.  As time has gone by and each of these have been added, together with parking sensors and a reversing camera, I have never stopped looking through the windows at my surroundings.  I enjoy the reversing camera as an aid but can't imagine myself relying on that alone.

Tags: