Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Get new Jazz with CVT?
« Last post by MikeG1944 on Today at 11:38:02 AM »
As others have said ignore Motoring reviews. I would think that driving in London traffic the CVT would be the best choice you could make, and you're hardly need to rev it very much at that speed; S mode is there if you really need it.

Best thing I ever did buying a CVT Jazz; needed it because of dodgy leg but found it so relaxing in city traffic not having to change gear at all.
Mike.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / How to define unreliability.
« Last post by peteo48 on Today at 11:16:05 AM »
The issue around Deflation Warning Systems or Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems got me thinking about how you would define unreliability. When I had my Golf there was often heated debate around the many issues that plagued the Mk5 Golf - especially the diesel. One such issue was failure of the ABS pump. VW enthusiasts would jump up and down when somebody complained about this saying "Well mine is OK so you are talking rubbish."

The nearest definition I can come up with is the measure used by the drug companies when describing side effects of any given drug. They are grouped into common, uncommon, rare and very rare. A side effect is common if it affects one in ten of people taking the pill. In short 90% won't experience this problem.

We have a number of engineering bods on the forum and I wondered if there is an engineering definition of "unreliable" for any given piece of technology?

On TPMS systems I don't have any figures of failure but the anecdotal evidence is pretty convincing as shown by the number of entries on the internet and the growth of technology to defeat them. I have also been struck by the number of acquaintances who have had issues. For this reason I deem TPMS systems to be unreliable. The fact that a majority do not have issues does not mean they are reliable.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Driving Assessment.
« Last post by richardfrost on Today at 11:11:15 AM »
The old question I used to ask "wet leaves and ice on the road, which will cause the accident?".  :)
Speed. The answer is always speed.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Get new Jazz with CVT?
« Last post by PJ Hall on Today at 10:42:27 AM »
You do not say which Jazz you currently own but l am guessing from your post that it is a mark 2 with a 5 speed manual gearbox. I have a mark 3 EX with the 6 speed box and compared to my previous mark 2 the gearbox needs to be worked a lot harder to get the best out of the engine. I live in rural Lincolnshire and am up and down the gearbox all the time especially over the wolds. Whilst mine was in for service l was loaned a CVT and was very surprised at its performance. I felt it was much quicker of the mark and very smooth. The engine does rev but no more than going through the gears in a manual. I found the CVT more relaxing to drive and often wish l had bought one instead of the manual.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Selling a car privately
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 09:14:25 AM »
I find selling cars a PITA. Guys turn up and want you to give it away. The few cars I have sold I always ask a rock bottom price and tell the punters, take it or leave it.
I sold my Volvo using Gumtree. The 3rd chap that phoned came to see it. Took him for a test drive and before a quarter mile, before even driving it himself, said he would take it, "No quibbles". I still see it going about. But it is still a PITA.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Different transmission types.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 07:46:44 AM »

There seems to be a love fest over VW group vehicles and considering the flanker VW pulled over the diesels I do wonder why VW is always superb when it comes to the motoring press. It is a fact  that VW are not as fantastically  reliable so why don't the motoring press show a little more impartiality?
The commentator was quite vitriolic over Honda's first CVT and yet hereon club jazz we read about the many who are very happy with their Mk1 CVT's albeit with a few problems that seem to be cured by a couple of fluid changes.

To be fair to John Cadogan he is a vocal and vociferous critic of VW as making unreliable junk. But you are right, even Which get all misty eyed when faced with a VW badge and yet they, at the same time, publish stats which show that VW, as a brand has average reliability at best.

I had a Golf and it was monumentally unreliable. It was nice to drive though and that's what the boy racers in the motoring press pick up on.

The 'perceived' quality of German products is taking a long time to get eroded by the facts* - but then motoring journalists rarely seem to deal in facts,  it is all about 'their' impressions,  and obviously they don't like testing CVT cars,  it is probably 'beneath them'.

* mainly because Germans keep bombarding us with propaganda in magazines and on TV.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 07:41:52 AM »
You are a private seller.  Do you offer a legally enforced warranty as dealers have to?
Do you offer cheap finance?
Do you offer a free HPI clear guarantee?
And 7 dyas free insurance?

If not - then any buyer is going to expect you to be at least 10% cheaper than a dealer. THERE IS no LEGAL COMEBACK if a private seller sells a car which breaks down after a week- a dealer would have to fix it FOC.

+1

Dealers have many more legal responsibilities than private sellers,  although a lot of dealers chance it and sell cars that may not be in best condition but they bank on the fact 'they may get away with it at least 50% of the time, and only have to fix the ones that complain' - so save money that way.
« Last post by madasafish on Today at 06:36:48 AM »
You are a private seller.  Do you offer a legally enforced warranty as dealers have to?
Do you offer cheap finance?
Do you offer a free HPI clear guarantee?
And 7 dyas free insurance?

If not - then any buyer is going to expect you to be at least 10% cheaper than a dealer. THERE IS no LEGAL COMEBACK if a private seller sells a car which breaks down after a week- a dealer would have to fix it FOC.

Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Different transmission types.
« Last post by Skyrider on May 22, 2018, 10:19:35 PM »
Did someone mention press impartiality?  I have yet to see a good word for CVTs, but I get on fine with mine and between Toyota and Honda there must be millions of them in use.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything