Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: Loan car different
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 05:48:03 PM »
I had a brand new Jazz courtesy car last Sept
I had a brand new Jazz on loan last September too. It had less than 350 miles on the clock, but it was exceedingly quiet and very smooth. Mind you, I only have a Mk 1 to judge by.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Climate change.
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 05:43:44 PM »
15% of every human that has ever lived is alive today!
There have been 5 extinction events in earths history, where anything from 75 - 96% of the flora and fauna on earth went extinct. The asteroid took the dinosaurs and the rest were down to climate change!!
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Ban on gas heating for new UK homes
« Last post by culzean on Today at 05:42:25 PM »
Improving them is another matter.

It's a can of worms insulating and sealing up a house that was never meant to be like that, especially in the attic.  An old builder friend is dead against cavity wall insulation if the house wasn't built with it in.  Mind you, it's rarely fitted properly (kept away from the outer brick skin) even on new houses.

Filling up the cavity can cause massive problems with damp , we had contractors in our area late 2017 trying to meet their targets   for government retro-fit cavity insulation ( the houses on our estate are about 20 years old and already have sheets of expanded polystyrene half the cavity width ).  We had an extension on the south side of house about 10 years ago and it was insulted with 75mm of rockwool battens ) last winter I decided to check the surface temperature of the internal walls on the fully insulated south side and the older partially insulated north side.  There was 0.2 deg C difference on average colder on north wall ( 1 checked in several places across both walls upstairs and downstairs ). Makes you wonder what difference the blown insulation makes, our neighbour had it done ( 1 of only 3 out 10 houses ) and said it made no difference to their heating bills.  Someone I used to work with had the cavities insulated and suffered horrible condensation and damp patches inside the house, had to buy a dehumidifier to make house liveable again..
« Last post by Rory on Today at 05:14:41 PM »
Improving them is another matter.

It's a can of worms insulating and sealing up a house that was never meant to be like that, especially in the attic.  An old builder friend is dead against cavity wall insulation if the house wasn't built with it in.  Mind you, it's rarely fitted properly (kept away from the outer brick skin) even on new houses.
« Last post by Rory on Today at 04:02:23 PM »
Other daughter has a 3 cyl 1 litre engined SEAT Ateca - seems a lot of car for such an engine but it goes OK and the engine is very quiet, all but silent in the car.

It was against that car that I was interested to try the HR-V.  It's extremely unlikely she'd have gone for the HR-V but it never even got a chance.
Off Topic (Non-Honda) / Re: Climate change.
« Last post by zzaj on Today at 03:50:18 PM »
I take the view that it is not 'the end of the Earth' but merely the end of mankind's time as the dominant species. In much the same way that the age of the dinosaurs came to an end and things changed drastically in favour of mammals, the coming catastrophe will simply change the makeup of life on Earth. Earth itself will endure.

+1

The real problem is population growth.

Many "under developed"countries have seen a population growth of 3 times in 50 years, e.g. Nigeria or India, all of whom will become consumers of stuff.

Just read this to be (a) shocked (b) see the scale of the problem quite soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth
« Last post by MicktheMonster on Today at 03:41:25 PM »
Engines seem to be noisier nowadays, last week I had a Vauxhall Astra 1.0 turbo petrol hire car, it drove well but was so noisy I was convinced it was a diesel till I refuelled it to hand it back, I also found Ford Ecoboost engines to be quiet raucous, I also found you had to work them fairly hard to unleash the power, so all in, not much difference from the latest Jazz really.
DIY Guides / Re: CVT oil change - include the filter?
« Last post by zzaj on Today at 03:40:23 PM »
Your car should have had three CVT oil changes by now. It is due every two years or 25k miles whichever is the soonest.
The dealer suggestion of a filter change at 30k doesn't tie in with this interval.
I have never heard of a filter being changed and I'm not sure that it is accessible from outside the gearbox.

Vic.

+1
« Last post by John Ratsey on Today at 03:35:40 PM »
I'd never thought about it before, but I guess without a cavity the entire fabric of the house is a cold bridge.
The thermal performance can be improved by such measures as an internal lining of insulation-backed plasterboard or an external layer of expanded polystyrene covered by rendering. Plus a foot of fibreglass insulation in the attic. Flats have fewer external surfaces so should be cheaper to improve *although be careful with external insulation).

I've got an infra-red thermometer which makes it easier to find the cold spots. Improving them is another matter.
« Last post by Rory on Today at 02:41:37 PM »
I had a brand new Jazz courtesy car last Sept when took daughter's car in (she won't go to the dealer any more).

I was amazed at how "cheap" it felt, and it was certainly noisy.

Not the way to encourage owners to upgrade their existing car.   Mind you, the dealer had (un-asked for) told me I'd be having a HR-V, which I was looking forward to trying without any sales pressure.  I asked why I wasn't having that and they just shrugged.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything