Author Topic: Reserve tank  (Read 22885 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Reserve tank
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
This thread demonstrates what a boringly reliable car the Jazz is. I have yet to hear of anyone laying in a wet gutter fixing the oily bits of their jazz. Even the fuel gauge and reserve tank seems to be reliable, right up to the point where the car stops when the tank is empty.  :D

+1

Visit other car forums and you can see massive problems being discussed. We can afford idle banter on this forum because to be honest problems are small, few and far between.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
This thread demonstrates what a boringly reliable car the Jazz is. I have yet to hear of anyone laying in a wet gutter fixing the oily bits of their jazz. Even the fuel gauge and reserve tank seems to be reliable, right up to the point where the car stops when the tank is empty.  :D

+1

Visit other car forums and you can see massive problems being discussed. We can afford idle banter on this forum because to be honest problems are small, few and far between.

And the problems are more likely to be personal preferences than defects or poor design.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
I have yet to hear of anyone laying in a wet gutter fixing the oily bits of their jazz.

No point in doing that while the car's still under warranty. Even the earliest Mk.3s are only now reaching 3 years old, ask the question again in a year's time. There have been a surprising number of people on here reporting issues that, whilst they don't cause the car to grind to a halt, do put a dent in Honda's reputation.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
I have yet to hear of anyone laying in a wet gutter fixing the oily bits of their jazz.

No point in doing that while the car's still under warranty. Even the earliest Mk.3s are only now reaching 3 years old, ask the question again in a year's time. There have been a surprising number of people on here reporting issues that, whilst they don't cause the car to grind to a halt, do put a dent in Honda's reputation.

A lot of those 'problems' are perceived to be with infotainment and other superficial stuff ( except maybe Honda bonkers decision to fit a well known problematic dual mass flywheel to a small petrol car on mk3 ).  Non of my Hondas has ever let my down even in the slightest, certainly not set on fire or left me stranded, and all that with me doing the servicing, not some expensive main stealer. In fact except for accepted wearing parts like brake pads, discs, cambelts and exhausts the cars never had a spanner on them even after large mileages, and plenty of 7 and even 6 gen civics around, and plenty of mk1 Jazz still in regular use.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:22:03 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2018, 08:40:31 PM »
We're almost back on topic. :o Which is how far the Jazz can carry on running when it says that the fuel tank is empty?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:12 PM »
We're almost back on topic. :o Which is how far the Jazz can carry on running when it says that the fuel tank is empty?

That's a how long is a piece of string question. It depends on speed driven, car load, ambient temperature, engine and transmission temperature, tyre pressures, any stop/starts, traffic density, type of road, any gradients, altitude above sea level, and a few more variables I can't think of at the moment. All you can be absolutly sure of is the car will stop when the fuel runs out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:14:56 PM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
ambient temperature
I am already noticing a drop in the distance my car coasts (not so much coasting, just a L-O-N-G time in neutral as I change down for a junction!), as the temperature drops. This is due to the tyres being stiffer on the cold roads. Wet roads also have a marked effect. There are so many things affect what you get out a set amount of petrol.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »
That's a how long is a piece of string question.

Twice the distance from the centre to one end  ;D ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

Hope I never have to find out - I guess that is the reason vehicle makers fit a graduated gauge display rather than just a warning message to tell you 'your fuel tank is almost empty but your guess is as good as mine how far you can drive until engine stops'.  I find understanding the gauge display quite easy, and if used properly will prevent you ever having to see the fuel light (I could not tell you if the one on my car works or not).

nigelr

• Approved Member
  • 'Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.'
  • Fuel economy: 45 mpg
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
I've had 30 miles when the tank was apparently empty - then chickened out and filled up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
We has a 1966 FIAT 500 which only had a warning light. Mind you, back then every town and village had a garage which sold petrol. We had 3, AND a filling station!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2018, 10:19:37 AM »
I have never run out of fuel, but I don't play fuel gauge roulette or stress. I don't care what the reserve is, I will never get near it. All it needs is a few seconds thought and planning before a long journey. Try driving from Aberdeen to Ullapool via Thurso without planning fuel stops.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:24:49 AM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »
My warning light just came on this morning. I will fill up, tomorrow morning, after I drop the boss off at work. About a further 8 miles. That is far enough for me to go on a low tank.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
Checked my ScanGauge E, and it tells me I have 93 miles left! I'll do the sums, when I top up, and see how optimistic that is.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »
Getting a bit twitchy now. Only 198 miles to go. I try to discipline myself to let it go down to a 100 by which time I am losing sleep!

Needless to say I've never run out although, in the past, I have had the light come on usually when on a motorway and not wanting to pay motorway prices.

Tags:

anything