Author Topic: Smart Entry Warning Light  (Read 4304 times)

fut1a

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 EX the wifes
Smart Entry Warning Light
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
Anyone had the smart entry warning light come on?

The warning light has come on, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem. Everything is working as it should but the light is on. Same thing is happening with the spare key too. I have changed the battery even though I didn't think this was the cause.

Just my luck, the car was out of warranty in April.

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Smart Entry Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
Just back from the dealers for them to look at the warning light. They said it was going to be at least £114 to put it on the diagnostic machine. After around an hour the service lady came over and said "it's going to be a big job i'm afraid, we need the car for at least a whole day to take the dashboard out so we can look behind it. So i will need to book the car in again". They did not mention the £114 before I left so I didn't either.

We usually keep our cars for 3 years but we kept the mk2 Jazz for 4 years because we were waiting for the mk3 to come out. The mk2 started to develop problems after 3 years also. One of the folding mirrors stopped folding, and another problem that I cannot recall.

We have been trying to decide whether to replace the mk3 with another one or get a HRV. Not any longer, we will be replacing it with a manufacturer like Hyundai or Toyota that offer a 5 year warranty, or Kia who offer a 7 year warranty. The car is just over a month out of warranty, and we did not extend the warranty because we replace them after 3 years. Unfortunately we have not replaced this one quick enough.

Honda you have just lost yourself a sale. I will no longer be buying Honda cars until they start offering at least a 5 year warranty.

My brother has a new Civic (I recommended him to get a Honda). It has been back to the dealers twice so far and he has only had it 6 months.

The warning light was not on coming back from the dealers, so I am trying to decide whether to take it back to Honda to get it repaired, (sounds like it's going to be very expensive), or get out quick and part exchange it before we start having problems with it. From what I have read the smart entry can leave you stranded because you cannot start the car.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »
"it's going to be a big job i'm afraid, we need the car for at least a whole day to take the dashboard out so we can look behind it."

I would imagine that it's an electronics fault. I don't know what they are expecting to see.

The warning light was not on coming back from the dealers, so I am trying to decide whether to take it back to Honda to get it repaired, (sounds like it's going to be very expensive), or get out quick and part exchange it before we start having problems with it.

The "get out quick" option would be my choice.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:38:27 AM by ColinS »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »
Just back from the dealers for them to look at the warning light. They said it was going to be at least £114 to put it on the diagnostic machine. After around an hour the service lady came over and said "it's going to be a big job i'm afraid, we need the car for at least a whole day to take the dashboard out so we can look behind it. So i will need to book the car in again".
If it's an electrical /electronic problem then I would be mentioning the latent defects provisions in consumer legislation and passing the onus onto the dealer / Honda to prove that the fault (or whatever is causing the problem) wasn't there on delivery but is caused by fair wear and tear.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:33:13 AM »
The warning light has came on again the next time the car was started. It seems that it either comes on when the car is started or not.

Just realised that Honda and some other manufacturers that have a standard 3 year warranty in the UK, offer a standard 5 year warranty in other countries. I was looking at an Australian comparison of the Hyundai Tucson and the Honda CRV on youtube. Both come with a 5 year warranty and full size alloy spare wheels. I know Hyundai do this in the UK also.

Booked the car in with Honda on the 24th, it was the only time they had a courtesy car available for two days. Honda dealer wanted me to have the option of having the car for two days. Realised we could not sell the car with a large warning light on the dash. Plus the wait for a new car may be 3 months or so.

Asked the dealer to ask Honda for a good will gesture, with the warranty only being out of date a month, but they said they would need to find out what the problem is first.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
If you were thinking of trading it in for a new Honda, they may well swallow the cost.  But talk to a salesman not customer service.

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
If you were thinking of trading it in for a new Honda, they may well swallow the cost.  But talk to a salesman not customer service.

I would not buy another Honda, not until they start offering a longer warranty anyway.

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:16 PM »
Took the car into Honda for the repair this morning. I said to the Lady that after looking on the net it seems to be a common problem with the Jazz and the HRV, and the fix is to clean the contacts on the stop start button or replace the button. She said it's not that, there is a sensor behind the dash and that will be the problem.

Got a call around midday to say they have found the problem and it's the stop start switch and it needs replacing. The part is on back order and it will be a couple of months before they can get hold of one. I asked how much it was going to be, £484 plus the £114 for the diagnostic, and £12 for the courtesy car. I asked if they would ring Honda and see if they would contribute to the cost with us being loyal Honda customers for the past 8 years, and with the car only having 26k (mileage) and it only being 2 months out of warranty. She said they do not ring Honda and I would have to call myself. Called Honda and they will get back to us.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
After having first a 2016 then a 2018 EX I have noticed that the stop start button has been redesigned I wonder if Honda have fixed a known problem on the quiet ?

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:09 PM »
Got a call from Honda today to say they will pay half the cost of the part. So I will save £100. Still going to be  expensive day.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
That's good news. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

fut1a

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
Still waiting for the part to come in, and it was ordered around the 10th of June.

We are lucky that so far the car has not refused to start. The car could have been sitting on the drive all this time gathering dust.

Tags:

anything