Author Topic: Headlight adjuster motor  (Read 3433 times)

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
Headlight adjuster motor
« on: January 11, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »
Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted but my faithful GE is now 11 years old with a happy 165,000 miles on the clock.

My headlight motor adjuster unit has stopped working, so subsequently has failed MOT and needs changing. It’s the one on the left / near side by the battery. Wiring and plug are OK, I think the tiny motor is seized. How hard is it to fit a new one? it’s a bit fiddly behind the headlight unit so I don’t want to prise it off and break any plastic clips off?

AlanTR

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Headlight adjuster motor
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 08:18:42 PM »
This video is for an Accord and shows someone changing a motor on a removed headlamp unit. It may help as I guess the fitting should be a similar process? More fiddly of course with the h/l unit in place. There's a slim chance that the motor is stuck, winding it by hand could free things up - though it's more likely knackered.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:34:21 PM by AlanTR »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »
What's happening, isn't it adjusting back with up with a screwdriver? You don't actually need the motor to work for the MOT, so long as it can be adjusted manually. Usually, what happens to the height adjuster is that the really weedy teeth on the gear (the one you put the screwdriver into) round off, so you can't adjust it with the long screwdriver.

Our mk1 was like this when we bought it, and the offside headlamp was way out. However, you can access the adjuster from the wheelarch, and there's a hexagon on the back of the adjuster that you can put a small socket on - can't remember the exact size, but it's around 6mm IIRC. Add on a ¼" ratchet, and you're away. My motor still worked, but that shouldn't make any difference. I popped the wheelarch fixings out for access, took it to my MOT man, and I twiddled until he gave the thumbs up.

The motor/adjuster assembly is easy enough to change, once you get the headlamp off, but it's very fiddly to do it on the car when you can't see the adjuster mechanism inside the headlamp, you have to engage the ball on the end with a slot in the mechanism in the headlamp. Extending the adjuster fully out first helps, and a small inspection mirror and a torch will be useful.

Hope this helps.

Rabiedmushroom

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks very much

The MOT fail is:
4.1.2a headlight ain’t too low (nearside) - which I now appreciate can be adjusted manually
4.1.5.a headlight levelling device inoperative (nearside) - which is one of these STUPID new rules where original equipment on a modern car needs to be functioning correctly, which I bet is killing quite a few cars due to electrical gremlins.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
If the aim had been correct the tester would probably never have checked the adjuster!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:49:51 PM »
4.1.5.a headlight levelling device inoperative (nearside) - which is one of these STUPID new rules where original equipment on a modern car needs to be functioning correctly, which I bet is killing quite a few cars due to electrical gremlins.

Bugger. That's a new one.

If the aim had been correct the tester would probably never have checked the adjuster!

I'm sure I have never seen my MOT man twiddle the headlamp position adjuster on the dash!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:52:38 PM by sparky Paul »

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:44:00 AM »
I recall it’s a bayonet fitting and it can be removed while in situ.

Tags:

anything