Author Topic: Jazz Mk.3 stuck in park.  (Read 1754 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
Jazz Mk.3 stuck in park.
« on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
The other day, whilst flirting stones out of the tyre treads, I thought that I would complete the job, and do the top and bottom that you cannot get at. The car is a CVT, and with all the other auto cars that I have owned, you move the stick from "park' to "neutral". Sometimes, this requires you to switch on the ignition, before leaning on the door pillar, to move it a couple of feet. I don't seem to be able to do this with the Jazz however, with the engine off.

Just suppose that your CVT is parked up, and it has a fault whereby the engine will not start; am I correct in thinking,  that I can't enlist a passer-by, to help push it up the slight slope,into a side road,out of harms way, to await breakdown?

Or is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: Jazz Mk.3 stuck in park.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:21 PM »
You should be able to  move the leaver from park with the ignition on and the foot brake depressed the engine doesn’t need to be running

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
You should be able to  move the leaver from park with the ignition on and the foot brake depressed the engine doesn’t need to be running
Thanks for that Ralph.

I am not aware, that if I first have the ignition lit up like a christmas tree, prior to applying the foot brake, that I can STOP the engine firing up, and move it into neutral. I will try that....Thanks.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
My Volvo had a button you could press, using a key or some such to allow you to select Neutral when the ignition key was not available.

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
My Volvo had a button you could press, using a key or some such to allow you to select Neutral when the ignition key was not available.

Yes the Jazz has the same it’s hidden under a small cover by the side of the lever

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »

Yes the Jazz has the same it’s hidden under a small cover by the side of the lever

Thanks Ralph. Not found the hidden small cover yet, but its good to know there is one.

Guess I should'ave gone to Spec-savers  ::)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:28:28 AM »
If you have the key, is it not just easier to turn on the ignition. Position III.

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
The manual release button under the cover is only for an emergency as you need a screwdriver to prise it open

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »
If you have the key, is it not just easier to turn on the ignition. Position III.

+1....

All automatics have electrical interlocks to stop you moving out of park until system knows you have your foot on the brake,  this is to stop car moving when a gear is engaged ( it had been known in the past  for cars to crash through multi-story carpark barriers and similar and kill occupants ).  These interlocks don't function with ignition off.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything