Author Topic: 'Gurgling' sound when accelerating  (Read 7079 times)

guest5341

'Gurgling' sound when accelerating
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi guys,
I've noticed that when I step on the accelerator to start the car moving, I hear gurgling and swishing of some sort of fluid.
Should my Jazz be doing this? Is this normal?
Just thought I'd check before I take it to the garage to get it checked out.

Cheers!

guest1372

• Topic Starter
Re: 'Gurgling' sound when accelerating
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
Does not sound normal, best check levels and for leaks under the car as a precaution.
There are only 3 fluids it could be, 1) engine oil 2) gearbox oil 3) coolant fluid.
1 & 3 are simple enough to check for level, you can probably use the heater temp control to vary the coolant flows, and the gearbox can be revved in neutral with the clutch in & out to see if any of these actions cause the sound to vary, and listening under the bonnet will help figure out which side it's coming from.

As oil is quite viscous I'd expect the coolant water to be more 'gurgly', but as cause & effect rules then any recent servicing done to the car could provide clues.
--
TG

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
There are only 3 fluids it could be, 1) engine oil 2) gearbox oil 3) coolant fluid.

or number 4. Water in the spare wheel well?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:05:09 PM »
Is the heater working ok, could be air trapped in the cooling system, normally the heater matrix.  Otherwise water in wheel well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
Or number 5, petrol, since you are sitting right on top of the fuel tank. Although I have to say I've never heard it. Easy to check though by filling the tank to the brim which should not let anything slosh about.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Or number 6, someone has hidden a bottle of juice somewhere  ;D

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:37:13 AM »
Or number 5, petrol, since you are sitting right on top of the fuel tank.

Yes, forgotten that one - I can hear a slosh & slap when 95% full when I stop and switch off.
--
TG

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
Or number 6, someone has hidden a bottle of juice somewhere  ;D

Or the really loud random crack sound turns out to be the thermal expansion / contraction of a forgotten empty bottle on the driver's shelf.
--
TG

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
Noises like intermittent electrical faults are the bane of car ownership.
My favourite  one is my Brother in Law bought a  brand new Mini 1000. He was back and forth to the dealership to find a clunk when accelerating, braking and cornering. Being me I went out with him and found the cause immediately. A can of de Icer in the passenger door pocket. Yes he called me a smart arse too.

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
Does it do it when you rev the car in neutral? Or only when you actually move off?

We had similar symptoms and had gurgling noise when revving stationary and it turned out to be air in the coolant system.

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »
We had a sloshing noise in a Primera once, and didn't discover it till someone drove into the door. It was water that had built up in the door and the small drain hole at the bottom was bunged up.
Mike.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
Never heard it on a Jazz but with older vehicles signs of head gasket going, check as per other sugestiosn & let the forum know the outcome.

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 12:29:43 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

Hmmm, it's when I'm stationary for more than a few seconds (eg traffic lights).
As I put the pedal down to go off, there's a 'swishing' noise definitely coming from the front of the car and it's some sort of fluid. Thinking about it, it's less 'gurgle'. It's like the sound of someone stirring a big bucket of water clockwise and then quickly stirring it anti-clockwise - that type of swishing noise.

The best way I can descrie it really lol.

I haven't guaged if it's every time I move off. I'll update this thread after I've worked out when it happens. I'll check my engine oil when I'm next in the car. It could be a little low perhaps? Or maybe it's the coolant?

MikeG1944

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 CVT SE 2008
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
That's exactly the noise we had in the Primera when we had water build up in the bottom of a door panel as I mentioned above. Worth checking the drain hole in the bottom. If a load of water comes out problem solved.
Mike.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
Unless you know the history/service record just take the car for a head gasket test - sniffer test -10min task for your local garage. They will be able to check all fluid levels at same time. Good Luck

Tags:

anything