Author Topic: Gritty driver's door lock.  (Read 4091 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Gritty driver's door lock.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
Not seen that before.

The one time I do remember seeing one was that Richard Burton Medusa Touch film. Quite a few Granadas and a coupe did briefly appear.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2020, 12:53:47 PM »
One 12 hour nightshift the HR manager came to me, and she asked if I would kindly take the keys for a hired, top of the range, Granada coupe that a visiting bigshot had had and which was due to be picked up by Hertz, sometime that evening.
When midnight came and went with no sign of Hertz, we felt duty-bound to take it for a run, to keep it in tip-top condition you understand. It was a beautiful piece of kit. An automatic, it pulled away in second, and it wasn't until I tried the kick down that it changed down to first. Back then, it was the quickest thing off the mark I had ever driven.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 01:28:46 PM by Jocko »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »
I wish I'd kept it and got it professionally restored.

Where was Fuzz Townsend :)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
 :D Nothing 'revs like a rental' eh Jocko! Fun times.

Kremmen, was that car your actual Granada?

I cant remember the last time a saw a Granada of any form on the roads. Great cars. I owned a Cotina MK5 2.0GL 4dr when I was a teenager, that was a laugh. Driven a few Capri's, but never driven a Granada.

Cool old video of the MK3 Granada with Jackie Stewart and Frank Bough. So of its time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaiE1M8nzY

IIRC the Granada MK3 was the first mainstream car to have ABS fitted as standard across the range from launch.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
Yes, that white Granada was mine, late 70's.

Lovely car but rust was a problem. Sills completely rusted away and had to be replaced.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »
Yes, that white Granada was mine, late 70's.

Lovely car but rust was a problem. Sills completely rusted away and had to be replaced.

Very cool car.  8) Did you own it long?

That's the thing with cars, they have to go through/survive the banger stage to become classic. For example your Granada would be cost effective to weld up now, but then beyond economical repair. I expect a lot of them ended their days on the banger racing curcuit too.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
I think a couple of years. 40 years ago, doesn't seem that long. I had the windows electrified to make it even cooler.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 05:47:21 AM by Kremmen »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2020, 06:09:31 PM »
Cool old video of the MK3 Granada with Jackie Stewart and Frank Bough. So of its time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omaiE1M8nzY

IIRC the Granada MK3 was the first mainstream car to have ABS fitted as standard across the range from launch.

I think that's right. We had a mk3 hatch as a works pool car for several years back in the 90s, an ex-factory manager's car. It stood up to the abuse it received remarkably well. IIRC, it was comfy enough, but for an 'executive' type car, it was a bit low budget inside.

The company's registration plate on it was worth a small fortune, far more than the car!

Si Crewe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz S
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
FWIW...

The driver's side lock on my Jazz has been seized solid since I got it, the previous owner said the passenger lock was also seized and the only way to unlock the car was via the tailgate.

Upon inspection, I found I could unlock the car using the passenger side lock but then I noticed something else too.

Seems like if I unlock the car from the tailgate (as I might if I was, say, bunging shopping in the boot) and then lock it again using the door, the door lock WILL be tight.
If, OTOH, I unlock it and lock it using the door, the lock feels fine.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, the central locking mechanism doesn't move the lock mechanism quite far enough, somehow, so it takes more strain to operate a lock that's previously been moved by the central locking as opposed to a lock that's been turned manually?

Basically, if I lock the car from the same lock I unlock it, everything's smooth but if I lock it using a different lock to the one I used to unlock it, the lock will feel stiff.

I currently have bigger (engine-shaped) fish to fry but I've got a remote locking kit to fit and when I get around to that I'm going to pull all the locks apart, clean them up and see exactly what's wrong with them.

Tags:

anything