Author Topic: Fluids, help, please.  (Read 6379 times)

Sharon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004. Mk1
Fluids, help, please.
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
Hi, sorry, if this is a silly question, but I need some help with the fluids in my recently bought third hand Jazz.

I (bravely) lifted the bonnet today and checked the levels. The engine oil is fine, the brake fluid is around the minimum mark, the clutch fluid I cannot see a level at all, and its hard to make out but I think the coolant level is also down below minimum.

So, are these fluids consumable items? Can I just buy them from Halfords etc, or is there any kind of fast stop garage i could pop into and they would top them up for me? I'm assuming these won't need doing that regularly so I d rather get them topped up professionally if at all possible.  If I do need to go out and buy them, I[d appreciate some guidance on what is needed?

thanks in advance. Sharon.

guest5589

Re: Fluids, help, please.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
These fuilds, although not really consumable items, must be topped up at all times so it pays to keep the relevant bottles handy and top them up as needed. Ideally before every long journey you should check under the bonnet not because there is something wrong but being a third or fourth hand car, you won't know for sure the state of the affairs in the engine bay. after a while you will get a fair idea of what to expect.

Although using Honda's own branded fluids is recommended (specially coolant, clutch and transmission oil), Brake fluid and screenwash can be any brand realistically.

If they are dangerously low, get them topped up asap from which ever chain you can find and when the car goes for yearly service at your fav independent, get them flushed for Honda's own. Most of these are pretty cheap items and you can either buy them directly from a Honda dealership or order on eBay where a lot of dealerships have their own shops.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
Hi thanks, but - as a total dumbass when it comes to cars, its not really a great help to me.

Basically, as they are not consumable items, I'd like someone to check them out for me. Is there anywerhe that does this kind of thing? I see halfords do a free oil check, but the oil is fine, its the other fluids I want checking.   

guest5589

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:34:59 PM »
Do you have a mechanic that you go to? if not, I would say best course of action will be to call up your local Honda dealer and ask for a safety check.

They will check everything and tell you exactly what you need. Cost? £35 which I think is very reasonable. more details here:
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/complimentary-honda-safety-check.html

at the bottom of the page there is a link to find local Honda dealership..

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
Find a local independent garage in your area, ask around where your neighbours  and or colleagues take their vehicles - assuming their happy. As them to look over your car.
As well as the fluids check the tyres inc spare then pressures , you can also check the air filter if you feel confident .
Parts for Jazz are readily available on the internet inc E Bay from established sellers no need to pay dealer £££'s.
Enjoy your Jazz!
Track down a car manual for your model or use this one as a guide.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
call up your local Honda dealer and ask for a safety check.

Thanks. This is defintiely my preferred course of action. How do you know its only £35.00? I was told that using maindealers cost a fortune!!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
How do you know its only £35.00?

It says on that Honda webpage that is linked!

1. At participating Dealers only.
2. Prices subject to change without prior notice.
3. Normal price £35 without MOT, repair or service

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »
ah yes, silly me.

Called my local dealer and they are going to do the check as complimentary, and whilst it is there they are going to sort the airbag recall as well.  :D

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »
ok, disappointed.

I called up to book in for this check over. They told me it also had a recall required - for the airbag. So They said they would do both. They said the check was 'complimentary', so that sounded great.

When I took the car in, the miserable guy seemed to think it was in only for the recall. I had to keep repeating 'health check?' to him and he muttered, "yeah yeah".

After an hour they called me back, and told me the recall was done. They gave me a document called 'visual health check' with most things on there saying 'not inspected'. They seemed to have checked the tyres and have an entry on there saying 'all lights working', but against the fluid levels there is nothing. So ...  I went back to see miserable guy and asked him if the levels had all been checked, he was patronising to the limit starting with "Its only a visual check - complimentary" etc etc. And he was dodging the question. "HAVE THE FLUID LEVELS ALL BEEN CHECKED??"I told him that there was nothing against that line on the document, and his answer was "yes, they would have done it, but its just a complimentary check". So unconvincing. I've checked myself and the fluids seem VERY low, one or two appear to be below minimum level.

I've a good mind to let the engine blow up the sue the buggers.

My assumption is that because (as miserable guy kept reminding me) it was free, they've not done what I wanted. I would much rather have paid the 35 quid and got it done properly.

They sent me a text later "Thanks for using us, if not COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH SERVICE (their capitals not mine) contact Richard on *****.

For sure, he's getting a call from me -  there's no point in offering customers something for free, if you then make them feel like crap for wanting it done properly.   >:(

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 01:32:26 PM by Sharon »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
Do let us know how you get on.   

No wonder Honda is struggling in the UK.  This would have been a great opportunity for the dealer to build a relationship  with you and keep you coming back for service and maintenance work, and then perhaps get you into a newer Jazz. 

guest5589

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 01:27:02 PM »
ok, disappointed.

I called up to book in for this check over. They told me it also had a recall required - for the airbag. So They said they would do both. They said the check was 'complimentary', so that sounded great.

When I took the car in, the miserable guy seemed to think it was in only for the recall. I had to keep repeating 'health check?' to him and he muttered, "yeah yeah".

After an hour they called me back, and told me the recall was done. They gave me a document called 'visual health check' with most things on there saying 'not inspected'. They seemed to have checked the tyres and have an entry on there saying 'all lights working', but against the fluid levels there is nothing. So ...  I went back to see miserable guy and asked him if the levels had all been checked, he was patronising to the limit starting with "Its only a visual check - complimentary" etc etc. And he was dodging the question. "HAVE THE FLUID LEVELS ALL BEEN CHECKED??"I told him that there was nothing against that line on the document, and his answer was "yes, they would have done it, but its just a complimentary check". So unconvincing. I've checked myself and the fluids seem VERY low, one or two appear to be below minimum level.

My assumption is that because (as miserable guy kept reminding me) it was free, they've not done what I wanted. I would much rather have paid the 35 quid and got it done properly.

They sent me a text later "Thanks for using us, if not COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH SERVICE (their capitals not mine) contact Richard on *****.

For sure, he's getting a call from me -  there's no point in offering customers something for free, if you then make them feel like crap for wanting it done properly.   >:(

Why am I not surprised. When I bought my Jazz, I took the car in for recall and they did a 'complimentary visual health check' and the only thing they checked was tyre tread and told me ball joint needs replacing and if I want they can do it right away for a princely sum of £350. I refused at the time and got it done elsewhere but when I read about this health check on Honda's website and compared it to the one I was given the blank report for... they weren't the same thing. This visual check is some useless BS. Might as well just go to Halfords and ask them to do their free winter health check. Then again I would say, if you are still up for it, might be worth calling up the dealership and booking for actual paid health check.

Sharon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »
ok, disappointed.

Why am I not surprised. When I bought my Jazz, I took the car in for recall and they did a 'complimentary visual health check' and the only thing they checked was tyre tread and told me ball joint needs replacing and if I want they can do it right away for a princely sum of £350. I refused at the time and got it done elsewhere but when I read about this health check on Honda's website and compared it to the one I was given the blank report for... they weren't the same thing. This visual check is some useless BS. Might as well just go to Halfords and ask them to do their free winter health check. Then again I would say, if you are still up for it, might be worth calling up the dealership and booking for actual paid health check.

Again, that's my issue. I went to the website, saw the price and applied online, for a paid check. They then called me up and said it was complimentary. What they appear to have forgotten to tell me was that the compliementary check is totally pointless.

I'm seriously annoyed about this so will contact them on Tuesday.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Some dealers seem only interested in billing customer, sorryto learn of your treatment. I would still find a local independent garage having asked around.
Good luck with your jazz.

Find a local independent garage in your area, ask around where your neighbours  and or colleagues take their vehicles - assuming their happy. As them to look over your car.
As well as the fluids check the tyres inc spare then pressures , you can also check the air filter if you feel confident .
Parts for Jazz are readily available on the internet inc E Bay from established sellers no need to pay dealer £££'s.
Enjoy your Jazz!
Track down a car manual for your model or use this one as a guide.
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.html

Tags:

anything