Author Topic: CVT oil change  (Read 1754 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
CVT oil change
« on: January 26, 2022, 11:22:45 AM »
I have decided to keep my MK3 and its has gone in for its 6th service today. Its only done 3000 miles in the last 2 years but they want to change the CVT oil even though it was done on the 4th service. Is this necessary?
I can understand its worth changing the engine oil even though the mileage is low but is it necessary to change the CVT oil.

Johnocyprus

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT, 2007 CRV EX, 2022 C125 SuperCub, 2003 Izzy
Re: CVT oil change
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:35:13 PM »
3,000 miles in two years; your engine oil and CVT fluid hasn’t hardly been used.   Maybe a engine oil service at most to preserve Service History certainly not an CVT fluid change, waste of money.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
The Honda stipulated CVT oil change intervals are 25K miles or two years whichever is soonest, the decision is yours. I could never understand the 'two year' bit either, it's not like engine oil.

Vic.

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
And of course they wanted to add "air conditioning service " and "oil & fuel treatment" as well. Also they dont use Honda oil

langserve

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [
  • My Honda: gk3 2019 jdm 1.3 CVT
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 04:10:15 PM »
My 2019 JDM Mk3 is going for its first MOT (or shaken as it is known here) and 3 year service. I've done about 21,000 km. The service schedule in Japanese just says 40,000 km for CVT fluid.  No mention of mention 2 years - just 40,000 km. My garage (not a Honda dealer) quoted me £86 to do it. I agreed to get it done as CVTs are very expensive if they go wrong and the summer temperature here is pretty high so fluids do deteriorate. I have no idea why Honda in Japan don't think it is necessary after 2 years (or even 3 in my case) but is necessary in the UK. The garages love changing the brake fluid and engine oil much more often than needed - all grist for the mill. Since they offered to do the brakes for only £20, I agreed as I suppose you can't be too careful with brakes. They claim local conditions can cause water condesate to accumulate in the fluid which can then vaporise under heavy use going down one of the local mountains. An engine air filter costs about the same and I suppose that is worth getting given the cost of fuel. It is sometimes quite dusty here thanks to the Gobi desert and China's polluting industry.

With the MOT it will cost about £470 in total which feels reasonable considering the MOT is for two years and it includes two years of minimum legal insurance. The stories about how expensive shaken is and how a car can fail for having a scratch on the headlight are nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 01:46:11 AM by langserve »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
And of course they wanted to add "air conditioning service " and "oil & fuel treatment" as well. Also they dont use Honda oil

i have a manual but i have heared that the cvt must always have honda oil and even independant mechanics say this, for a main dealer not to use oem oil is not good

sad_dave

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz ex navi
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 05:50:30 PM »
I have a 2019 cvt which had its 2 year service last September. With it still being under warranty it was done at a Honda dealership  and they changed the gearbox oil even though it had done less than 2000 miles.

Tags: