Author Topic: Changes to the Highway Code.  (Read 8601 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Changes to the Highway Code.
« on: December 02, 2021, 04:04:52 PM »
This should cause some shunts

Legislation has been passed from January that will force vehicle drivers to give way to pedestrians crossing at junctions.

This means that if you are turning left into a blind junction and suddenly see someone waiting to cross the road you will have to stop and let them cross even if you are creating a hazard on the main road.

There will of course be all sorts of issues with people assuming they can walk out into the road and vehicles not stopping. Also if it's dark the driver may not see that someone will be waiting. Drivers will suddenly stop when the vehicle behind will think its carrying on and run into the back of them.

The far simpler solution would have been to ban pedestrians from crossing at dangerous road junctions and making them walk up the road where they can see clearly both ways.

Instead a dangerous precedent has been set that will cause more problems than it solves.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355693/cars-give-way-cyclists-when-turning-left-or-right
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Changes to the Highway Code.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:42:37 PM »
This should cause some shunts

Legislation has been passed from January that will force vehicle drivers to give way to pedestrians crossing at junctions.

This means that if you are turning left into a blind junction and suddenly see someone waiting to cross the road you will have to stop and let them cross even if you are creating a hazard on the main road.

There will of course be all sorts of issues with people assuming they can walk out into the road and vehicles not stopping. Also if it's dark the driver may not see that someone will be waiting. Drivers will suddenly stop when the vehicle behind will think its carrying on and run into the back of them.

The far simpler solution would have been to ban pedestrians from crossing at dangerous road junctions and making them walk up the road where they can see clearly both ways.

Instead a dangerous precedent has been set that will cause more problems than it solves.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/355693/cars-give-way-cyclists-when-turning-left-or-right

Who did they survey to get that amount of agreement, the national cyclist organisation. Cyclists are not good at obeying the laws of the road at best of times,  and to give them more 'power' is a big mistake.  Many pedestrians just stand on the pavement with no intention of crossing so that will be a big problem.  Who gets the blame if you stop in good faith for a pedestrian who does not want to cross and you get shunted by another vehicle.  Us motorists have t get used to be the underdogs ( while our fuel duty pays for many things but not better roads ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 05:34:39 PM »
The sentiment is fine but the likelihood of rear end shunts as a turning car suddenly stops is very high. Roundabouts are bad enough, as soon as a car starts to move the following car tends to react as though they are going to continue. If a car turning from a junction suddenly stops for something which the following vehicle possibly cannot see it could end up badly.
I'll have to remember to be extra vigilant come January 29th.

I have to say I feel slightly uncomfortable about this change. I'm all for peds and cyclists being safer on the roads, but that's very often down to their decision making. I can see some possible entrapment going on too, could be an easy way for plod to meet some booking targets (of course they don't exist, we keep being told they don't, must be true.....).
Potentially a free-for-all for the cash for crash brigade too, all they need is a stooge pedestrian standing at a suitable junction and bingo.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:58:00 PM by embee »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 07:27:04 PM »
Many motorists don't even give way to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings. Probably only enforcement will be after someone gets knocked down. The second part regarding cutting off cyclists when turning left is just something good drivers have always done. It is only common courtesy when coming up behind a cyclist when you are about to turn to sit behind then make your turn behind them.
All in all, it seems like an extra good reason to fit a front and rear dashcam to protect yourself and your pocket.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:09:49 AM »
Crash for cash will now involve a car and pedestrian

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »
I'm puzzled where the quote comes from, because when I followed your link that text wasn't in the article.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 08:52:03 AM »
The quote wasn't from the link.

It seems that if you are on a main road, turning right into a side street and a pedestrian is about to cross the minor road just as you turn, you are now blocking oncoming traffic.

I just don't get how this was approved.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 09:14:12 AM »
I assume these significant changes will be widely advertised and explained to the nation before implementation and will hold my breath until that happens... :-X

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »
I assume these significant changes will be widely advertised and explained to the nation before implementation and will hold my breath until that happens... :-X

That's not a trivial problem. Most drivers haven't touched the Highway Code since their test, and a huge proportion of the population no longer look at traditional media so don't see or believe any public information messages. How do you get this kind of thing through to people who get their news from Facebook, their entertainment from YouTube, and their music from Spotify (other platforms are available!)?

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
The quote wasn't from the link.

It seems that if you are on a main road, turning right into a side street and a pedestrian is about to cross the minor road just as you turn, you are now blocking oncoming traffic.

I just don't get how this was approved.

Haven't you noticed, the objective of traffic planning these days is NOT to speed the passage of traffic, but to actively slow it down!

In the situation you describe, surely you wouldn't start the turn if you see a pedestrian approaching the junction. So you'll be holding up traffic behind you (assuming there's no room to position yourself to allow them through on your nearside, as I was taught but many other people don't bother), not blocking the oncoming traffic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
Crash for cash will now involve a car and pedestrian

A decent dashcam is now a 'must have' accessory for any vehicle, and also a rear camera.... it is just a matter of protecting yourself from events that are out of your control.   The stupid things I have seen cyclists do like cutting inside turning HGV's and buses, riding without lights etc. is unbelievable.  With 'rights' come 'responsibilities' - maybe a complusory test for cyclists and a number plate so that they can be traced when they do stupid things that cause accidents.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 11:27:34 AM »

That's not a trivial problem. Most drivers haven't touched the Highway Code since their test, and a huge proportion of the population no longer look at traditional media so don't see or believe any public information messages. How do you get this kind of thing through to people who get their news from Facebook, their entertainment from YouTube, and their music from Spotify (other platforms are available!)?
I was about to post much the same.
I think the idea is good in principle but not everybody will know about the new rules and pedestrians will not know if the approaching motorist knows and vice versa.
Confusion all round.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 11:56:15 AM »
It's already the case that those on wheels should give way to those on foot who are already crossing. Many don't seem to be aware of this.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
Trouble is when it's dark ,poor street lighting, pedestrian in dark clothes in central island decides to run across the road in front of you to take advantage of a gap.
And it's raining as well.
And said pedestrian trips and falls in the middle of the road.

I missed him on Thursday night at 9pm.

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »
Trouble is when it's dark ,poor street lighting, pedestrian in dark clothes in central island decides to run across the road in front of you to take advantage of a gap.
And it's raining as well.
And said pedestrian trips and falls in the middle of the road.

I missed him on Thursday night at 9pm.

I’m not entirely clear that that scenario is any different with the new rules than at present. If the incident was far enough ahead to be able to brake or avoid then that’s what you do ... no change there. If the pedestrian leaps out in front of you at the very last second such that you can’t avoid, then you have an interesting discussion with plod and/or a magistrate ... again, no change there. Surely the new rules can’t make a driver responsible for irresponsible action by another road user? I suppose the untested point is the extent to which the pedestrian’s behaviour (last minute action, dark clothes) can relieve the driver of some responsibility; that’s well established at present, but how will it change with the new rules?
(BTW, I don’t think poor street lighting and rain are relevant because a driver should be driving according to the prevailing conditions anyway.)

Tags: