Author Topic: Instrument Panel Failure  (Read 1967 times)

Jazzmaster

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 Jazz 1.4
Instrument Panel Failure
« on: February 17, 2021, 05:10:39 PM »
Hi there,
I have a 58-reg Jazz 1.4, which has recently thrown up a tricky problem. Every 15 seconds or so, the instrument panel goes dead - all gauges drop to zero - then immediately it resets, the ABS light comes on, seat belt warning sounds if I'm not strapped in, gauges return to normal...all is well for a few seconds, then it happens again. The engine doesn't falter, the lights don't go dim. I'm faced with a dealer wanting to dismantle the instrument panel to find the problem, with all the expense that will entail. Has anybody out there got any ideas? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation

Ric

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Instrument Panel Failure
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:40:35 PM »
The danger is that the dealer will want to fit a new panel - fine if it's under warranty.

Somewhere like BBA-Reman should be able to give you a quote to repair the instrument panel. Another option would be a used panel, but you would probably need to have it programmed to your car and possibly the mileage corrected also.

http://www.bba-reman.com/gb/index.aspx

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:05:04 PM »
Sounds like a dry solder joint. Works OK some of the time. Solution would be to remove panel and resolder all joints .where power enters...Not a job for amateurs without tools and expertise.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
Sounds like a dry solder joint. Works OK some of the time. Solution would be to remove panel and resolder all joints .where power enters...Not a job for amateurs without tools and expertise.

More than likely. The dreaded curse of the lead-free solder.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
Have you check the alternator? My sister's Hyundai i30 had this problem and it was the alternator that caused this problem. 

Would an independent garage be better to do this kind of work? Further, how about getting as used intrument panel from eBay and see if the problem remains?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:26:55 AM by 123Drive! »

Jazzmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »
Thanks everyone. It sounds like a bit of a nightmare to fix - I haven’t had the alternator checked, though it seems to be charging ok. I never thought I’d find myself hoping it’s just the alternator... Thanks again for the suggestions.

Ric

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »
Another easy check is the earth strap and battery terminals.

According to the attached image of the back of the panel, it appears to have one main connection. Looks a bit like a scart socket. It has to be worth unplugging, cleaning and plugging it back in. Standard IT fix, turn it off and on again.

If it needs repair, in addition to BBA Reman, try ECU Testing https://www.ecutesting.com/ - I've had good experience with them in the past, albeit with an ABS module.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:51:00 AM by Westy36 »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »
Yep, rule #1 with anything regarding modern car electrical gremlins is to check connectors, they are the most common cause of problems, and it costs nothing to unplug/spray/connect. It's worth getting a can of aerosol contact cleaner, I usually get such consumables from https://www.eurocarparts.com/ or similar.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 05:31:58 PM »
I use Servisol. Have done since using it shipboard in the Merchant Navy.

Agree, it's the best stuff.

Jazzmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:11:07 PM »
Checking and cleaning connections is definitely doable and worth a try. Many thanks, especially for the pic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 12:15:48 AM »
A dry joint or a bad connection can usually be provoked by a thumping the top of the dash above the instruments.

If the resetting is very cyclic and regular, there may be a capacitor or capacitors failing on the circuit board.

Jazzmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 10:34:06 PM »
I think that may be very relevant - on a short journey today, the time between the ‘resets’ steadily diminished until it was happening constantly, with perhaps less than a second of ‘normal’ display. That seems to point to some circuitry breaking down. Uh-oh....

Ric

mozepro

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2011 GE6 1.3l
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 04:06:52 AM »
Does it happen as you drive or when braking? Cz the abs light could be pointing the way to a fault/ short in the abs or brake lights wiring.
Have you changed your rear lights or light bulbs recently?

Jazzmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 01:05:23 PM »
It happens constantly, during all aspects of driving and even when it is just sitting idling. It has steadily got worse, to the point where it’s continually switching on and off now, probably every second or so. When it first started, it was every thirty seconds, so it might well get to a point where it fails altogether.

Tags:

anything