Author Topic: Brake fluid reservoir cap  (Read 1056 times)

Dog

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mark 2
Brake fluid reservoir cap
« on: February 27, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
Hi Guys,
Not had my Jazz very long (2010, 1.4, black). I've just been poking around under the bonnet and noticed the cap on the brake fluid reservoir has some movement in it when fully seated. Is this normal? I have taken it off and twisted it back on as far as it goes, it does tighten but then once fully home and past the plastic lugs on the reservoir the cap rattles about a bit.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
Re: Brake fluid reservoir cap
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 02:15:32 PM »
Maybe the black rubber gland is missing, or has become detatched from the cap. It's there to deform as the fluid lowers due to normal pad wear and keep ouside air from the fluid.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 02:46:02 PM »
Hi There,
               Just looked at my 2014 Jazz when the cap is in locked position there is still some looseness, i suppose to stop a vacuum being created, But some caps have a pin hole in the cap to stop this process. Pics of caps and seals large one brake small one clutch.
     Henry

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
I have the same generation Jazz as the original poster. The rubber gland on mine when I bought it at 3 years old, had pulled off the cap and was sitting inside the top of the resovoir, so I had ro re-attach it to the inside of the cap. It is secured to the cap by a ridge on the inside of the cap.  I think the days of just a small hole in the cap are over now. Just the rubber gland / bellows that does the job of keeping air out, as brake fluid absorbes moisture from the air. That leads to corrosion inside the bores of the calipers and master cylinder. Not good. Interesting to note that I discovered this after a 3 year service from  a Honda dealer including a brake fluid flush, that was ticked as done, but was not. I do my own servicing now.

Dog

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Mark 2
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 06:28:27 PM »
Hi There,
               Just looked at my 2014 Jazz when the cap is in locked position there is still some looseness, i suppose to stop a vacuum being created, But some caps have a pin hole in the cap to stop this process. Pics of caps and seals large one brake small one clutch.
     Henry
Thanks for having a look Henry. My cap and the seal all look fine and I've had no issues with the brakes or fluid leaking, so I guess it's all good. The cap only twists on so far until it comes against the stops so I guest that's the way it is. the seal must be tight but the cap is free to move 5mm or so either way. just seemed a bit strange. :)

Tags: