Author Topic: Oil Consumption??  (Read 6562 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Oil Consumption??
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:14:47 AM »
My Jazz burns no oil between changes.
The 1929 Riley 9 fabric covered saloon I owned in the 1960s as a student puffed oil smoke through the engine breather and did 100 miles per pint of oil.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
I had to top up my oil again this morning. I topped it up at the beginning of December, and checked it a week or so later (it was fine), but now, less than 700 miles later, it was midway between the marks. It is not leaking out. The car is garaged on a clean floor and there is never a spot of oil. There is no sign of any oil being burnt, and the coolant is clean with no sign of oil there.
I don't know where it is going!

lexi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 i shift V TEC
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 10:24:59 PM »
I had to top up my oil again this morning. I topped it up at the beginning of December, and checked it a week or so later (it was fine), but now, less than 700 miles later, it was midway between the marks. It is not leaking out. The car is garaged on a clean floor and there is never a spot of oil. There is no sign of any oil being burnt, and the coolant is clean with no sign of oil there.
I don't know where it is going!

There is something going on though. A 06 plate with how many miles? and how many oil changes that you know of?
     Maybe a compression test would be an idea. Sometimes light oil burning does not show if you have Cat Converter..............but the oil in the Cat will be damaging it. Just something to be aware of.
    My 10 plate i Shift 1.4 uses no oil in 1 year changes at 6k miles. 5-30 fully synthetic Ford spec Halfords oil. I will start using the good oil now that it is run in at 28k miles   ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
My car used no oil during its first year of ownership, but has only been an issue since the oil was changed, in the summer. It has now done just over 100,000 miles. I use X-Tech 5W-30 fully synthetic motor oil. It seems to drop down to midway between Full and Fill then just sits there. The car gives no signs of burning oil. Performance is fine, fuel economy is brilliant. Plugs are clean and a great colour and the exhaust is clean with no smell of oil (I reverse car into garage, every night).
Yesterday I added oil to the cold engine, didn't check level as it takes a time to settle into sump, went for a 40 mile run and this morning I checked it cold once again. It was spot on the full mark. I'll see where it goes from there!

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 07:04:47 PM »
Hi,
I used to have a knackered 1947 triumph renown and had to use commercial reclaimed oil which was 2/6p a quart anfd came in glass bottles. The 50 mile trip to reading used 4 gallons of petrol and 4 pints of oil. It finally expired on the winchester bypass and i gave it to a garage. Probably worth a mint nowadays,
Chris

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
Oil still up to the mark. Only done about 300 miles, but I least I know it was filled fully and any drop now is lost/burnt oil.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Yes, definitely dropping. Not a great deal, but it is not spot on the mark, as it was. I'll leave it now, until it is halfway between the marks, and see how many miles that takes. Other than topping it up, when necessary, I have no intention of doing anything else about it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
Since writing the above post I have read the manual for the car and it always refers to checking the oil when hot. I have always checked it cold. It also says to keep it between the marks on the dipstick. Mine never gets near the bottom mark. Surprisingly, it says that oil consumption can be as high as 1 litre every 625 miles. Sounds like diesel to me!
In future I will check it warm, see what that comes up with.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 03:09:38 PM »
It seems logical that if you always check it hot or always cold the result should be reliable - in fact when oil is hot there is more likely to be a bit of foam on the surface which can affect reading. The oil obviously expands when hot so level between hot and cold would be different, but level when hot is not intrinsically more accurate. As long as you wipe dipstick when first taken out and then measure with a clean dipstick result should be repeatable. Main thing is that car is on level horizontal surface when it is checked as an angle can make quite a difference. Modern oils are so thin they flow well even when cold, but what you should never do is check the oil level immediately after engine has stopped because some of the oil will be in oil galleries and rockerbox - wait at least 10 minutes for oil to drain back to sump. 

I must say though that I never saw an noticeable difference in oil level between changes in any Honda I have had even when I had a Civic that had done 190,000 miles. I have always used either Mobil or Castrol oils,  I used mobil originally in early 1980's because they were the first to introduce affordable fully synthetic,  but for last 20 years have used Castrol Magnatec exclusively.  Also use Castrol in motorbikes.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-auto-experts/questions-for-auto-experts/should-oil-levels-be-checked-when-the-engine-is-hot-or-cold
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:37:45 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 04:00:26 PM »
If I overfill it cold the oil may well be getting foamed up onto the bore and burnt off. It then reaches the correct level. I then check it cold, think it is down a bit, and promptly overfill it again. One theory anyway!

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:37 PM »
Had a few engines that didn't like being full, once down to halfway they stopped using oil.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
Had a few engines that didn't like being full, once down to halfway they stopped using oil.

If too full the oil may be blown out of PCV valve or excessively splashed onto cylinder bores and gets past piston rings.  Worn valve guides or seals can also allow oil into exhaust and burnt.  CAT now obscures blue exhaust smoke that used to be a giveaway of burning oil ( worn valve guides was blue smoke on start-up and blue smoke on overrun was worn piston rings or bore).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
As I said previously, I reverse the car into garage at least once a day, and there is no smell of oil either then or on start up. It only appeared to be an issue during this, its second year. Prior to that I had no oil in garage, so never bothered to add any. It is only since I bought 4 litres for my oil change, and a litre to top up with, that I have been adding any. I won't bother in future. I'll check it regularly, but if I never gets down near bottom mark I'll just let it be.

Tags: