Author Topic: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often  (Read 79588 times)

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
Re: Tyre Pressure warnings....danger of crying wolf too often
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
The "Calibration complete" message only means that the reset is complete. The Calibration is not complete until 30 minutes of driving time (not necessarily all at once) have passed at speeds of between 25 and 62 mph.. If you get an alarm after the 30 minutes it means that the calibration has failed and it must be redone. The book also says that it may alarm during the calibration if the ignition is on and the car is not moved for 45 seconds.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:35:20 PM by Deeps »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
The "Calibration complete" message only means that the reset is complete. The Calibration is not complete until 30 minutes of driving time (not necessarily all at once) have passed at speeds of between 25 and 62 mph.. If you get an alarm after the 30 minutes it means that the calibration has failed and it must be redone. The book also says that it may alarm during the calibration if the ignition is on and the car is not moved for 45 seconds.

+1

Maybe going onto motorway before calibration has completed (driving at speed over 62mph) will cause an alarm.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2018, 02:44:40 PM »
Just thinking back. The first false alarm went off after I had driven, roughly, 200 miles after picking the car up from the dealers. The second one, this last Sunday, was a good 200 miles - probably more - since the last calibration.

In short, hours after recalibration. As I say, the only common factor is high speed driving. Also checked if car pulling to one side, it isn't, also checked heat of wheels for any possible brake binding, there is none.

Weird. Not overly fussed but it is a bit annoying.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:48:51 PM by peteo48 »

guest4871

« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
On my limited knowledge of TPMS, I think it triggers a true alarm when it detects the pressure is 20% less than calibrated e.g. calibrated at 30psi the alarm will trigger when the tyre is at 24psi. This means, if you check no tyre pressures, all the tyres could go down to approximately 24psi before one of them triggers an alarm.

If you get an alarm above the 20% level, e.g. 28psi, it is almost certainly an error.

If you are 100% sure you have calibrated correctly and you get an alarm above, e.g. 24psi, then you may have a systemic failure.

Probably best to ask an expert rather than have a positive "false" alarm.

You could just just ignore TPMS and go back to the tried and tested method of checking the tyre pressures regularly  which is what you'll have to do anyway to keep your tyres in good order.

I think it would be pretty obvious if you got a blow out and you would probably spot it well before the TPMS. TPMS,  will tip you off with a slow puncture but you'd probably spot that too. (Another case of newer is not necessarily better).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
On my limited knowledge of TPMS, I think it triggers a true alarm when it detects the pressure is 20% less than calibrated e.g. calibrated at 30psi the alarm will trigger when the tyre is at 24psi. This means, if you check no tyre pressures, all the tyres could go down to approximately 24psi before one of them triggers an alarm.

If you get an alarm above the 20% level, e.g. 28psi, it is almost certainly an error.

If you are 100% sure you have calibrated correctly and you get an alarm above, e.g. 24psi, then you may have a systemic failure.

You could just just ignore TPMS and go back to the tried and tested method of checking the tyre pressures regularly  which is what you'll have to do anyway to keep your tyres in good order.

I think it would be pretty obvious if you got a blow out and you would probably spot it well before the TPMS. TPMS,  will tip you off with a slow puncture but you'd probably spot that too. (Another case of newer is not necessarily better).

The Jazz system is not a direct pressure measuring system. It is an indirect rolling circumference comparison system. If the system detects a change of rotational speed in one wheel relative to the other three at the last calibration, it will trigger an alarm....no psi values involved.

guest4871

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
 I heard what you are saying. Read equivalent of 20% less than the calibrated rating. The effect is the same. Examples given only for clarity.

As a matter of interest- What happens when you get wheel spin? Does that set up a TPMS alarm?

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »

TPMS will tip you off with a slow puncture but you'd probably spot that too. (Another case of newer is not necessarily better).

OK understand about your using psi for clarity, though it might mislead some into wrong impression.

Couple of comments about your points above:

1. It is very difficult to "just ignore the TPMS warning", as it is very prominent and can't be dismissed or turned off.

2. You are right that it will tip you off about a slow puncture. That is what started this whole thread, because the the system alerted me without my detecting anything wrong. It was a rear tyre so might have been noticeable if it had been a front.

I suspect the system is more sensitive than the equivalent of 20% pressure. When I have nothing better to do I might try a bit of controlled deflation!

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »

As a matter of interest- What happens when you get wheel spin? Does that set up a TPMS alarm?

I suspect the answer is something to with time. Wheel spin does not occur for more than a second or so. I would expect the TPMS system to be set up not to react to speed mismatches which lasted for short duration such as wheelspin.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »

I guess that's a good way of looking at it. I check my pressures regularly in any event so, if this system isn't working, it's just like having all the cars I've ever had in my life which didn't have the system.

The downside, however, is the very hard to ignore huge picture of a tyre in the information binnacle. You can switch this off by toggling with the buttons on the steering wheel leaving a small picture of a tyre elsewhere. The big tyre comes back, though, whenever you restart the car so it is a PITA.

It's got 2 years new car warranty left so it's going in if it comes on again after my latest reset (always assuming there is no puncture lol).

Frankly if I could disable the thing I would do but I gather you have to have these things by law.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
Frankly if I could disable the thing I would do but I gather you have to have these things by law.
Yes. Another EU regulation, in force since November 2014.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #116 on: April 26, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »

At a similar stage of my Mk3 ownership...a few months and two false warnings.....I felt the same. But now, after 26,000 miles, one genuine warning and no more false warnings, I am glad to have it.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »

At a similar stage of my Mk3 ownership...a few months and two false warnings.....I felt the same. But now, after 26,000 miles, one genuine warning and no more false warnings, I am glad to have it.

Odd, I had two false alarms in the early days, probably self inflicted, nothing since.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
Yes. Another EU regulation, in force since November 2014.

Weird as it may seem, it's actually a UN regulation and applies worldwide.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »
Weird as it may seem, it's actually a UN regulation and applies worldwide.
I couldn't find a link to that. Can you post? I got my info here:
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/obligatory-tpms-a-larger-expense-for-owners-of-new-cars

Tags: