Author Topic: whos still on their original exhaust?  (Read 13376 times)

guest6981

Re: whos still on their original exhaust?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
2007, 70000 miles, still original exhaust.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
I just had to replace the middle box after 11 years and 90K+. Unfortunately it was inseparable from catalytic converter, so I replaced that as well.

guest6991

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
I changed my catalyser at 130K km. I couldn't find a replacing part, so the mechanic adapted a brand new Renaults catalyser in 10minutes  :o.
he cut it of after the oxygen sensor in order to keep the sensor intact, and cut the renaults one the same way, then he linked the filter part with the honda's oxygen part and Voilá. Brand new catalyser! already passed the pollution test!

sentra

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2002 1.4SE
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
My Jazz year is 2002 and 90k miles.
The center box is original but have replaced the rear box twice now,
both times failed at the same place,
where the exhaust pipe connects to the rear silencer.

guest1372

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
.... both times failed at the same place, where the exhaust pipe connects to the rear silencer.
Make sure garage has not bolted the rear and middle sections tightly together, there should be a flexible joint made with spring bolts and a large fibre 'donut'.  If it can't flex then it is more likely to fail at a welded joint.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
The original Honda exhausts used to have (still may have, but I have had no need to look ) a 'spring loaded ball and socket joint' to allow exhaust to flex and not stress the welds, but cheap and cheerful aftermarket ones tend to get a much simpler flat flange and a bit of exhaust putty and bolted up tightly, so they can't flex and normally fail just after the 18 / 24 month guarantee runs out. The original exhausts easily last 10+ years, maybe less on low annual cars where the exhaust gasses condense in the exhaust and never get hot  enough to dry out, so they rot from the inside.  It is not a bad idea to drill a small small hole (no larger than 3mm ) at lowest point of exhaust boxes to allow any condensed acidic water to get blown out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:07:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
The original Honda exhausts used to have (still may have, but I have had no need to look ) a 'spring loaded ball and socket joint' to allow exhaust to flex and not stress the welds, but cheap and cheerful aftermarket ones tend to get a much simpler flat flange and a bit of exhaust putty and bolted up tightly, so they can't flex and normally fail just after the 18 / 24 month guarantee runs out. The original exhausts easily last 10+ years, maybe less on low annual cars where the exhaust gasses condense in the exhaust and never get hot  enough to dry out, so they rot from the inside.  It is not a bad idea to drill a small small hole (no larger than 3mm ) at lowest point of exhaust boxes to allow any condensed acidic water to get blown out.

Interesting. I was talking to a Honda 'tech' today who told me that Honda exhausts usually have a litte hole drilled in them for precisely the reason you mention.

Tags: