Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?  (Read 175504 times)

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
I think that humidity affects MPG more than temperature - Ill have a research into that.

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »
My 2011 GE EX manual returned 46.2 mpg over 38k miles.  ;D
The 2009 GE ES manual returned 47.6 over 27k miles.  ;D

My current 2015 GE ES+ is returning 43.7 over 5k miles.  :(

All figures are real world, not from the car's computer!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
I think that humidity affects MPG more than temperature - Ill have a research into that.

Warm temperature and moist air are best for good MPG.

Warm air can hold more moisture than colder air,  that's why when temperature drops in the evening dew (or frost) forms on your car,  when the temperature has been below freezing for a few days in winter no more frost appears on your car because air has lost all its moisture.   Normally in UK as the temperature rises in summer the humidity goes up as well, while in winter the air is drier.   So its a triple whammy in UK winter,  colder air means car takes longer to warm up, the air is drier as well , and cold air is more dense than warm air so wind resistance increases as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 10:58:21 PM »
No mention has been made about the petrol being used.
I use Tesco Momentum and I get 3-4 more mpg over normal petrol.
Using this petrol I notice that the engine revs lower for a speed. Obviously this could not happen on a manual gearbox but on a CVT??
I can go over 40mph with the engine revving at 1500rpm

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 06:11:10 AM »
Using this petrol I notice that the engine revs lower for a speed. Obviously this could not happen on a manual gearbox but on a CVT??

There are plenty of discussions on this forum (arguments even) about benefits of higher octane fuel in the Jazz - I get about 10% better MPG using 97RON  fuel (and car feels much livelier)  - ------- handbook states 95 RON is 'minimum' octane for Jazz because of high compression ratio, anti-knock sensors on engine will retard ignition timing and lower engine power output for lower octane fuel but by putting 97 or 99 in the tank you allow timing to be advanced (done automatically by the ECU) and get more power - this allows lower throttle settings to be used in any given driving situation,  with a CVT this could well mean lower RPM for a given road speed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 08:21:55 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »

There are plenty of discussions on this forum (arguments even) about benefits of higher octane fuel in the Jazz - I get about 10% better MPG using 97RON  fuel (and car feels much livelier)  - ------- handbook states 95 RON is 'minimum' octane for Jazz because of high compression ratio, anti-knock sensors on engine will retard ignition timing and lower engine power output for lower octane fuel but by putting 97 or 99 in the tank you allow timing to be advanced (done automatically by the ECU) and get more power - this allows lower throttle settings to be used in any given driving situation,  with a CVT this could well mean lower RPM for a given road speed.

Interesting post and I'm glad you emphasised the wording on the filler cap and in the handbook. It says 95 RON "or higher" and I think that is significant. It infers, to me anyway, that the car will potentially benefit from a higher RON via the knock sensor.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
I wonder what effect higher octane fuel will have on the MK3 1.3

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
I wonder what effect higher octane fuel will have on the MK3 1.3

I believe that the IVtec engines in the Mk2 and Mk3 are basically the same design so I would guess that any performance differences from using super unleaded would be about the same, if there are any.

I used Tesco Momentum for a long time while Tesco's special offers were on but as they have now finished I mostly use BP standard petrol. I am 5p/litre better off straightaway and my fuel consumption is the same as using the Tesco Momentum and as for other advantages I cannot detect any significant ones.
My average fuel consumption works out at 49mpg based on actual use not the on board device.
However use what you think works for you.

Vic.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:48:54 PM by VicW »

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Keep them coming guys I love seeing MPG obsessed, clinical stuff ;D.

<<<< Just click on the figure to the left below my avatar and it'll tell you ;)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 09:54:36 PM »

I used Tesco Momentum for a long time while Tesco's special offers were on but as they have now finished I mostly use BP standard petrol. I am 5p/litre better off straightaway and my fuel consumption is the same as using the Tesco Momentum and as for other advantages I cannot detect any significant ones.
My average fuel consumption works out at 49mpg based on actual use not the on board device.
However use what you think works for you.

Vic.

Pretty much what I was doing. It might be the placebo effect but I felt the car had a slight edge using the higher octane stuff.

Having said all that, you won't do any harm using "cooking" petrol. It's what I used for years before the internet!

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
I get between high 30's (38, 39) when running around locally and low 50's (51, 52) on longer runs.
My commute to/from work is upper 40's (47, 48) which is a mixture of country lanes, a bit of town work, dual carriageway and M-way.
My current overall average is about 45.
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2015, 07:29:56 PM »
My overall average for the last 12 months is 44.6mpg. Mixed driving.
In the previous year with the same type of driving but with addition of 15 round trips of 120 motorway miles and the average was 48.5 mpg
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
Getting low 50's measured brim to brim using 98 RON. Mostly motorway and A roads with a very steep hill up to my village (500m above sea level so winter tyres going on this weekend!).

guest5669

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
It does feel a bit more lively with 98 Shell V-Power, but maybe it's a placebo effect? I can't make my mind up on it?

guest5355

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
Hi, we have a 2012 jazz 1.4 EX CVT.
 Live in Essex and running around we get about 40 - 45 mpg, its on the open road that it's great, we go from home (near southend on Sea) to Croydon Surrey 80m round trip a lot , via A127, M25 etc. and we get a minimum of 55 mpg. I drive to the legal limits and do not put my foot down for no reason. I must add that I'm  a Advanced Motorist and a retired personal driver to a Family for a long time.
 My dearest won't see this, I hope, when she uses the car the mpg drops to about 35mpg as she drives it in Sport mode and she has racing colours on her shopping bags.

Tags: