Author Topic: Drivers seat stuck  (Read 6715 times)

guest7767

Drivers seat stuck
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
Wife has to move the drivers seat fully forward to drive and moves it back to get out; so every trip the drivers seat has to move. After pushing the seat back today we can't move it forward.  Pulling the bar up releases the track nearest the middle of the car but the track nearest the door is jammed. When the bar is not being pulled up the sprung release inside this track seems stuck upwards. The other side works similar to the working passenger seat's tracks; it moves down towards the floor when the bar is released. When the bar is pulled the sprung release inside the working tracks move up; the one in the faulty track hardly moves.

I thought it may be related to technical Service Bulletin SN-08-002-00 (applicable to Jazz chassis codes GG5 and GG6); but the handle/bar does not seem to be bent downwards.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement track please? Honda seem to only sell the complete seat frame (for £788!).

Would appreciate any thoughts/help.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: Drivers seat stuck
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get a replacement track please? .

I would be phoning round breakers yards, there must be parts available from vehicles of a similar age to yours.

guest7767

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 01:03:03 PM »
Thanks; I was thinking of going to a breakers yard once I heard the price and that the rails were not available as spares (only the whole frame). I couldn't see any on ebay.
Not sure why Honda do not sell them as separate parts (except to make  more money!).
I wondered if anyone else had the same problem and repaired the rail.

guest7767

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 08:10:33 PM »
Has anyone replaced the frame on a Jazz seat? Is it easy to do?
Would it be better to get a complete seat from a breakers yard?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
Hi Jimbo. If you can get a matching seat that would probably be the easy option. A scrappy is not going to let you strip a seat for the mechanism, unless the seat is well trashed.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »
I got a drivers seat from a breakers yard for £80 after I manager to put a small tear in the bolster on the drivers seat. I would have thought the seat rail would be around £30.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 09:47:07 PM »
First I would spray some lubricant into the mechanism to see if it helps but it might need dismantling and some grease applied. Or maybe some object has got into the mechanism.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 10:44:11 PM »
As John says, it's worth having a feel underneath the seat, in particular checking the runners for foreign bodies.

I did have a similar problem on another car where the claw which engages with the rack came adrift from the shaft on one side. The spring in the mechanism held it firmly in the rack and the seat wouldn't move. After removing the seat, a couple of small welds to re-affix the claw to the shaft solved the problem.

Could well be something similar on yours, it's worth having the seat out to see what's going on.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:53:18 PM by sparky Paul »

guest7767

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Thanks very much for all the help/advice above.

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread; had to wait for an opportunity to remove the front seat.

I've taken the set out eventually; thanks very much to the member who posted the link to the manual in "http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html".

I've found the release lever is broken on one side; the u-shaped component that fixes on the sprung  release mechanism in the track is cracked. The good news is this is apparently a replaceable part (81139-TFO-J01) according to Honda and the service bulletin SN-08-002-00. The bad news is the copy of the service bulletin I can find (TSB# SN-08-002-00 on https://hondakarma.com/threads/jazz-front-seat-cannot-be-adjusted.12968/live) doesn't have any pictures/figures in so I can't see how to remove the release  lever. Does anyone know how to do this or know where I can view a full copy of service bulletins please?

guest7767

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
The Honda main dealer kindly let me see a copy of the bulletin today and hence how to remove the lever (tap the lever both sides with a mallet). This worked OK. Ordered a replacement lever (£45); not great but better than £788 for the frame if the slide rails had failed.

howie05

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz 2013 my14
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 06:44:51 AM »
I have just bought a driver's seat from the wreckers. They are available here in Australia around $90 removed. Honda Australia price $900 approx. Seat was stuck and a break in one rail. Seems to be a common problem world wide. I suggested welding but they said not permitted under Aussie regs as a safety item. There are PDF files on the web showing replacement steps  here U tube

Tags:

anything