Author Topic: CVT fluid change problem  (Read 1876 times)

hemming

• Approved Member
CVT fluid change problem
« on: January 18, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
Having switched to an independent garage (after a particularly bad service from my nearest dealer) I seem to have gone rapidly from the frying pan to the fire!.Yesterday I requested Honda CVT fluid change at 4 years and 18K miles but due to a mechanic's aberration he put in 3 litres of Carlube 980AA1990ATV LV. The garage accept the error and propose to drain again and refill with the Honda product (which they have in stock!!) free of charge.
However, as I see it I shall end up roughly with half a transmission of a mix of old Honda/Carlube and the other half all Honda.
The choices seem to be to go with what the garage propose (at no cost) or get a full flush and a full refill of Honda fluid. However, the latter is obviously going to be costly. Any thoughts on the best course and the likely cost of the second option please.
 I have asked Carlube technical people to comment on the suitability of their product for the Jazz. No problems have been experienced with the transmission to date.

guest1372

Re: CVT fluid change problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
It depends a little bit on where the drain plug is and how much might be left in the box.  It may be they have a simple suction pump to ensure as much as possible is removed, they use this type of thing for brake fluid replacements.  The Honda CVT-F costs ~£40 for each fill +labour +margin.  I don't see the error causing damage, but it may be that the Carlube ATF has a different performance characteristic.  You'll have the next CVT-F change done in two years time (under standard schedule), if performance is affected you could bring that forward.
-- 
TG

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
I would ask the garage to complete 2 changes of Honda CVT , allow 20mins driving to get things warmed up before draining & refilling a 2nd time. Should be fine.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »
+1

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:02:57 PM »
+1

hemming

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies and advice. The garage have agreed to carry out the full flush procedures.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:33:49 PM »
Hi,
Honda charge £70 for a cvt oil change😕,
Chris

Tags: