Author Topic: Gearbox shot.  (Read 17502 times)

Hondachap

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honnda Jazz
Re: Gearbox shot.
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
Jocko perhaps you have been unlucky with your Jazz purchase
I have same model 2007 plate covered 204.000 driving school use
mls gearbox now shot  :(
Had three replacement clutches gear oil replaced each time suppose this could have helped the long life of the box ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:46:31 PM by Hondachap »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »
My wife actually said to me, yesterday, "What is that terrible noise the car is making?". The gearbox is deafening now, so bad that a hard of hearing non driver is concerned. I'll just run it until it gives up the ghost completely, then scrap the car. Don't know what to go for next, but I doubt it will be a Honda.

Read around the various makers forums and you will see that every car has their problems both with cars and dealers,  my brother recently bought a secondhand Skoda Ocatvia estate because the Honda Civic estate he wanted was more expensive (they had not long been introduced and second hand ones were rare),  he regrets it now because too many VW parts in it and some strange problems, and nobody can tell him why his engine power light keeps coming on - he loves my Civic and should have followed his instinct.  His wife has a Civic and all my bro has ever done is replace some brake pads and discs and change the oil and filters - car has never missed a beat. 

One of the many quirks of VW group is to use bolts instead of studs to hold wheels on,  when you take last bolt out wheel liable to drop and he was so used to using studs to locate and hold wheel while he screwed nuts back on that he was puzzled why it was done that way,  also if a stud gets thread stripped you can replace it,  if the thread in hub gets stripped what do you do, replace the hub ?   

Since pretty much most car makers started using deep groove ball bearing (cheaper, lower friction but not so goof with thrust or side loads) instead of tapered roller bearings (rugged and good with thrust and side loads) to 'reduce drag in an effort to get last 0.001mpg out of car' quite a few cars get wheel bearing and gearbox problems.  One of my brothers in law had the gearbox on his VW Golf literally disintegrate a few years ago,  and apparently it is not uncommon,  cost him a lot to get it repaired.

Maybe Hondachap has a point about lubrication,  I use gearbox molyslip and when I trade 53 plate GD in at 120,000 miles gearbox still quiet,  the salesman at the dealer asked if box was noisy and test drove it to check and he was happy.  Did Honda sort bearings out by 2007 though ?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:38:02 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »

Culzean

Interesting comment about ball bearing versus roller bearings. Obvious implication is reduced friction which translates into saleability of the vehicle on stats as you suggest. Net result of course is greater wear and tear as the contact point is on one tiny part of the sphere. Fact is, we live in ever shorter economic cycles. Throw in the social/political/economics and I cannot see this being reversed. Everything is now geared to high cycle consumerism which is why the Jazz scores so well on down to earth technology and engineering on a sort of shoestring. Even Mercedes decided a few years ago that they were over engineering their vehicles going back to the days of the ubiquitous 200 which were commonly used as taxis around the world and apparently clocked up a million miles in some cases with a few rebuilds here and there. Thing of the past especially with EV's in sight with more or less one moving part in the engine bay. I think throw away is here forever unless of course the world as we know it collapses and we stumble into the dark ages A La Mad Max.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
My brother and his wife have two BMWs and the older one has cost them an arm and a leg. The only reason they have held on to it is they are so heavily invested in it. Every time it needs something done and he is looking at a grand. And that is not using the BMW dealer!
The last vehicle I owned with a major mechanical problem was my 75 SAAB (worn valve guides). The three cars I had before the Honda were mechanically sound, and the youngest when I parted with it had done 130,500 and the oldest 210,000 miles. Nothing other than the odd ball joint, bush or spring.
I know fine that you can buy a car and have no issues or nothing but troubles. It is the nature of the beast.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »
Fact is, we live in ever shorter economic cycles. Throw in the social/political/economics and I cannot see this being reversed. Everything is now geared to high cycle consumerism which is why the Jazz scores so well on down to earth technology and engineering on a sort of shoestring. Even Mercedes decided a few years ago that they were over engineering their vehicles going back to the days of the ubiquitous 200 which were commonly used as taxis around the world and apparently clocked up a million miles in some cases with a few rebuilds here and there. Thing of the past especially with EV's in sight with more or less one moving part in the engine bay. I think throw away is here forever unless of course the world as we know it collapses and we stumble into the dark ages A La Mad Max.

I am reading a book at the moment called 'Affluenza' by Oliver James - he likens consumerism to a virus ( influenza) and says basically that Affluence is like a disease that started in mainly English speaking world ' an obsessive, envious. keeping-up-with-the-Joneses consumerism that makes us more prone to anxiety, depression and addictions' that is spreading to other developing nations - its main vector is advertising,  and he says the only cure is to think about our needs rather than our wants - it is a reality check on disposable goods and a disposable lifestyle.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
I have never been much for keeping up with the Jones'. Evidence my Nokia "Thick" phone and my small TV. I shop by need rather than want, but it hasn't always been a delight to the women in my life! I don't consider myself tight (I never have two cents to rub together), and since I retired it has become more pressing not to waste money.
Yesterday, when my wife remarked on the gearbox, she asked about repairing it. I pointed out that I could buy something else cheaper than repairing this one. Look on the bright side though, all of the comments I have read about the bearing failure say the gearbox will run forever like that, and until proven otherwise, that is my stratagem.

guest7024

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:29 PM »
I have never been much for keeping up with the Jones'. Evidence my Nokia "Thick" phone and my small TV. I shop by need rather than want, but it hasn't always been a delight to the women in my life! I don't consider myself tight (I never have two cents to rub together), and since I retired it has become more pressing not to waste money.
Yesterday, when my wife remarked on the gearbox, she asked about repairing it. I pointed out that I could buy something else cheaper than repairing this one. Look on the bright side though, all of the comments I have read about the bearing failure say the gearbox will run forever like that, and until proven otherwise, that is my stratagem.
Just turn radio up lol or get it sorted

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 03:57:33 PM »
Yesterday, when my wife remarked on the gearbox, she asked about repairing it.( I pointed out that I could buy something else cheaper than repairing this one). Look on the bright side though, all of the comments I have read about the bearing failure say the gearbox will run forever like that, and until proven otherwise, that is my stratagem.

£330+ vat to remove rebuild replace in Glasgow

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Who does it for that? A trip through to Glasgow would not be too big a hassle.

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2017, 04:53:29 PM »
Who does it for that? A trip through to Glasgow would not be too big a hassle.
  Clutch and Gearbox express 23 Gillies Lane Baillieston Glasgow 0141 771 3989 Really good job turn around two days

guest7024

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
Yesterday, when my wife remarked on the gearbox, she asked about repairing it.( I pointed out that I could buy something else cheaper than repairing this one). Look on the bright side though, all of the comments I have read about the bearing failure say the gearbox will run forever like that, and until proven otherwise, that is my stratagem.

I paid that including VAT and Borg bec clutch in Wakefield

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »

yes you can pay that easy at some garages for clutch alone :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »

Labour for getting the gearbox out and refitting will be most of the cost,  the bearings are pretty cheap - worth getting  clutch done at same time.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2017, 07:02:47 PM »
I know fine that you can buy a car and have no issues or nothing but troubles. It is the nature of the beast.

Unless you buy a Renault.  ;)

Hondachap

• Approved Member
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »

Labour for getting the gearbox out and refitting will be most of the cost,  the bearings are pretty cheap - worth getting  clutch done at same time.
Agreed £70 plus vat

Tags:

anything