Author Topic: 6 month extension for MOTs  (Read 3396 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: 6 month extension for MOTs
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 12:05:23 PM »
I can understand why they're not extending them too early.

Some owners will still try to MOT in the month before the existing expiry in order to take advantage of the (up to a month) extension to maintain the anniversary date. As soon as the MOT is extended for 6 months, that's gone.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
Not really because the delayed MOT will still run for 12 months so you will still be able to MOT a month before that delayed date, effectively giving you a 13 month MOT. I always MOT my car at the start of its final month.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
Not really because the delayed MOT will still run for 12 months so you will still be able to MOT a month before that delayed date, effectively giving you a 13 month MOT. I always MOT my car at the start of its final month.

I'm talking about those who want to maintain their original anniversary date. Once the extension is added, any subsequent MOT will run for 12 months from the actual MOT date, not 12 months from the original MOT anniversary date, as would have been the case.

If they wanted to keep the original MOT date and MOT early, and the 6 month extension had already been added, they would loose the option to run the new MOT from the old anniversary date. Does that make sense?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »
I follow. I don't see the point of keeping the anniversary date. Perhaps it is a new car thing. There is, however, no reason why you cannot MOT it again after six months to resume the original anniversary date. After all, it won't add to the administration cost.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
I follow. I don't see the point of keeping the anniversary date. Perhaps it is a new car thing. There is, however, no reason why you cannot MOT it again after six months to resume the original anniversary date. After all, it won't add to the administration cost.

If they had extended the MOTs a month early say, and someone had a pre-booked MOT to get the 13 month ticket, I could see them being a bit miffed. Getting an MOT on the original date should be easy enough next spring/summer anyway, most car MOTs will fall between October and March.

Anniversary dates makes no odds to me, apart from the fact that I'll end up with a MOT in November and two more just before Christmas. I'll be altering that with some early tests over the summer.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »
I'll end up with a MOT in November and two more just before Christmas.
No worse than one in May and two in June, unless it is the cost in the run-up to Christmas, which is the worry.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 09:35:11 AM »
No worse than one in May and two in June, unless it is the cost in the run-up to Christmas, which is the worry.

I'm more concerned about the weather, if anything needs doing!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »

I'm more concerned about the weather, if anything needs doing!

I agree,  one of our cars gets its MOT in early February,  definitely not the time for working on a vehicle if it can be avoided ( unless you have a relative who does the work LOL )..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »
February he is out lying under snowploughs and gritters  :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:38 AM »
I received a letter from the DVLA this morning telling me that if my MOT was not renewed before the end of the month, then they would not be able to resume my Road Tax under my Direct Debit.
However, two days ago my MOT date was extended back until December.
It looks like a case of an automatically generated letter sent out before the moving of the MOT date. If they extended the MOT date a couple of days sooner, it would save the waste of sending out all these letters (wouldn't imagine I am the only one to get a letter). Government money-wasting again.  >:(

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 11:05:02 AM »
I received a letter from the DVLA this morning telling me that if my MOT was not renewed before the end of the month, then they would not be able to resume my Road Tax under my Direct Debit.
However, two days ago my MOT date was extended back until December.
It looks like a case of an automatically generated letter sent out before the moving of the MOT date. If they extended the MOT date a couple of days sooner, it would save the waste of sending out all these letters (wouldn't imagine I am the only one to get a letter). Government money-wasting again.  >:(

Quite a lot of muttering about this on other forums, people worried that their tax won't be renewed.

These "get your car MOTed or else" letters are only sent to those on DD. You would have thought they would have foreseen this and suspended them, seeing as all vehicles currently due an MOT are being extended.

Telling people to contact DVLA is it hasn't been extended 3 days before expiry is cutting it a bit fine too, but I haven't heard of any failures yet.

They are winding down the extensions for HGVs, with 3 month extensions granted for MOTs due June/July. There is some debate how they are going to unwind the car MOT extensions, I think the penny has finally dropped that bunching the majority of MOTs into the winter 6 month period is not going to be a good idea.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
Some garages are still sending out MOT reminders through the post or via text. I've received two from different garages during the last few weeks. My MOT was due on the 7th July.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
Garages are doing MOTs but few people are going in for them. There is nothing to stop you getting your test done now but if it fails that's it. You cannot run it till the MOT is up in six months. My extension went on six days before the old expiry date.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »
In the papers today that the government have realised what was obvious all along that with the six month extension some cars will be unroadworthy and they are now looking at stopping the extension scheme. Presumably those cars that have already been granted the extension would keep it.
Doesn't bother me as I had mine done when it was serviced which was at its usual twelve month interval.

Vic

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
Some cars are completely unroadworthy after 12 months, never mind 18. It is all very well stopping the extension, I am surprised they haven't already done so, but if you are shielding it was not possible to get the MOT renewed.

Tags:

anything