Author Topic: Dab Radio  (Read 8680 times)

valleyjazz

• Approved Member
Dab Radio
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
Being an avid radio listener and spending a reasonable amount of
time in the car I am keen to benefit from the additional stations that DAB brings.
Has anyone had any experience or advice on DAB radio in car?
Ours is 2004 SE CVT with inbuilt FM/CD

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Dab Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
I know people who have fitted DAB radio to cars other than Jazzes, they say they are more prone to bad reception than FM (just look at the way your Digital TV 'pixelates' when weather is bad) this is because the data is transmitted in serial form and each bit depends on the bit that went before to keep its correct place in the queue.

Other than that just watch out if you are thinking of fitting after-market HID headlight conversion kit.

Have you searched this site for DAB radio, I am sure I have seen something.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:26:46 PM by RichardA »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:32:03 PM »
If DAB is anything like digital TV then you either get it or you don't, not like with FM where you can pick up siginals from stations from out of the area (here in Eastbourne I can depending on the weather pick up Heart London or Wave 105 Dorset(?) even with RDS readout).

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
Whilst DAB is less prone to multipath distortion than FM, when the signal deteriorates it first turns into a "bubbling mud" and then disappears altogether. The Jazz's bee sting aerial isn't going to be a good match to the DAB frequencies (which are about double those of the VHF FM band). Fitting an aerial specifically designed for DAB will improve reception enormously.

On a related matter, the GE Jazz's radio aerial gives exceedingly poor reception on medium wave, and the AM section of the stock radio is low bandwidth, resulting in a very muffled sound.

guest238

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »
Has anyone used a personal DAB radio via the AUX-in? Is this a feasible alternative to ripping out the OEM headunit?

Rbz5416

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24:35 PM »
DAB in car can work very well. I've had it since 2003 with very few problems but as has already been said, a dedicated aerial is essential. Although it seems that DAB HUs are again in decline.

The problem the OP has of course is the cost & difficulty of sourcing the elusive Honda double-DIN fascia to enable an after-market HU to be fitted. There's a thread here with details but at around £150 plus fitting if you aren't brave enough to tackle it yourself, it's not cheap.

Only other realistic option is the Pure Highway that transmits DAB to the stock HU via FM or via the Aux socket if it's a late '04 model.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:26:26 PM by Rbz5416 »

Tags: