Author Topic: Alarm going off ramdomally  (Read 12065 times)

Lianne

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Alarm going off ramdomally
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
Hi everyone. I have a 2012 jazz automatic. About a month ago my alarm went off ramdomally in the early hours. Later that evening battery was checked and was fine. My key fob stopped working when locking the car then righted it's self. All was fine until Thursday when the alarm went off. Then on my dash board it's telling me my boot was open when it was not. Then last night the alarm went off twice. But fine in the day. Agsin battery checked and fine. Although we got a new one today. Hope someone can help. Many thanks.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
Re: Alarm going off ramdomally
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »
Hi Lianne.
 I had my previous, 2015 auto, for 3 years. Never a problem.

Except.... While away, on holiday. I checked it was all secure for overnight, parking.
 Pulled the tailgate, and it popped to the second catch!

With the alarm blaring, loud. I had to walk back to the chalet, for the key.

I now make sure, the tailgate is properly closed......
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Lianne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:17:18 AM »
After a new battery although it didn't need one. And a new boot latch as we think that was the problem. Has been fine for a week. Now this morning started  going off agsin. It somehow unlocks it's self. Now it's not locking on my key fob again...help anyone had this

guest7494

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:41 AM »
After a new battery although it didn't need one. And a new boot latch as we think that was the problem. Has been fine for a week. Now this morning started  going off agsin. It somehow unlocks it's self. Now it's not locking on my key fob again...help anyone had this
Hi Lianne
I have given this some thought,perhaps your key fob is the guilty party in this mystery,after all this is the thing that controls all this.
Do you have a second fob that can be used,if so remove battery from existing fob this will render it sterile so to speak.
Worth a try costs nothing. Or is it the spare fob that is being naughty
Hope you resolve this.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »

When you say new battery was that the car battery or the keyfob battery ? A dodgy car battery can affect the alarm as it can see a low system voltage as an attempt to tamper with alarm and activate. If you don't know when battery was replaced maybe time to get it checked, standing voltage an hour after charging or driving should be around 12.6 volts, if it is lower it is a danger sign ( and remember alarm systems are notorious for sucking power out of a battery at standby).

Also I learned to be cautious of cheap keyfob batteries, when my Civic fob started playing up on unlock  and locking I fitted a cheap battery, it did not cure the problem and was a nuisance until I fitted a proper Duracell battery ( £5 ) and no problem since ( 12 months ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »

When you say new battery was that the car battery or the keyfob battery ? A dodgy car battery can affect the alarm as it can see a low system voltage as an attempt to tamper with alarm and activate. If you don't know when battery was replaced maybe time to get it checked, standing voltage an hour after charging or driving should be around 12.6 volts, if it is lower it is a danger sign ( and remember alarm systems are notorious for sucking power out of a battery at standby).

Also I learned to be cautious of cheap keyfob batteries, when my Civic fob started playing up on unlock  and locking I fitted a cheap battery, it did not cure the problem and was a nuisance until I fitted a proper Duracell battery ( £5 ) and no problem since ( 12 months ).

Culzean I agree with your comments,observations,however as Lianne has already mentioned the key fob works and then does not work on occasions this suggests a faulty fob or as you say a suspect battery in fob itself this would give the car the impression of tampering etc perhaps that would start the alarm sounding??
I am sure you are more knowledgeable on these things than I.
It would be very interesting if Lianne were to advise us all if and when this glitch is resolved, what actually caused this  problem.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
The cheap fob battery had the same symptoms as the old battery it replaced ie it only worked when it wanted to, and I assumed that because I had put a new battery in ( albeit a cheap one ) it must be a faulty fob,  but putting a Duracell battery in the fob cured all the problems.  I suspect that the cheap battery had problems supplying the current needed when I pressed the button, even though I had checked the voltage and it seemed OK.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
The cheap fob battery had the same symptoms as the old battery it replaced ie it only worked when it wanted to, and I assumed that because I had put a new battery in ( albeit a cheap one ) it must be a faulty fob,  but putting a Duracell battery in the fob cured all the problems.  I suspect that the cheap battery had problems supplying the current needed when I pressed the button, even though I had checked the voltage and it seemed OK.
Point taken quality always wins

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
Seems like you have covered some of the obvious culprits.

Then on my dash board it's telling me my boot was open when it was not.

That tells me to start looking at the tailgate first. You have changed the latch, so check for water ingress into any of the tailgate wiring, and the condition of the wiring in and around the rubber gaiter between the car body and the top right hand side of the tailgate.

It's not a problem I've heard of on the jazz in particular, but on other cars I have had broken or chafed wires in the door wiring gaiters. This can cause exactly these types of problems, random unlocking without disabling alarms, non functioning remote locking, and can be intermittent. This problem usually manifests itself on the driver's door or tailgate, as these get the most use.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:24:06 AM by sparky Paul »

Lianne

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 08:32:53 PM »
Thank you for your awnsers. So my other half stripped the bsck of my boot and water has got into the electrics somehow and cordded. So that seems to the issue just hope it can get fixed

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
So my other half stripped the bsck of my boot and water has got into the electrics somehow and cordded. So that seems to the issue just hope it can get fixed

At least you have found something, you should be able to get that sorted out without too much difficulty.

TomFum

• Approved Member
    • DJs Unite
  • My Honda: GG6 Jazz Si
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »
Thank you for your awnsers. So my other half stripped the bsck of my boot and water has got into the electrics somehow and cordded. So that seems to the issue just hope it can get fixed

Hi there, did you ever fix this issue? im having the very same problem and im going out of my mind trying to work it out. Thanks

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 11:26:01 PM »
Hi there, did you ever fix this issue? im having the very same problem and im going out of my mind trying to work it out. Thanks

Unlikely that you will get a response, the OP hasn't been logged into the forum for 2 years. It appears that they located their problem though, see above ↑↑↑

TomFum

• Approved Member
    • DJs Unite
  • My Honda: GG6 Jazz Si
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »
Yeah fair, ive checked all mine and they seem ok. the hunt continues

Rich W

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
I have exactly the same problem.  Alarm goes off at night. Key fobs [both] stopped working then righted themselves.

it seems unlikely that this would be the problem if this issue is happening in multiple cars?  Anyone had an answer yet?

Tags:

anything