Author Topic: Honda tyre Sealant  (Read 19477 times)

Aitcho

Re: Honda tyre Sealant
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
I managed to call into a local Kwik Fit centre today and explained to them that my car did not carry a spare wheel but was instead supplied with Honda tyre sealant.

When I asked them what they would do if I presented them with a wheel that contained the Honda tyre sealant they said that they would not repair the tyre but replace it with a new tyre instead.

As a stop-gap I will carry a can of Holts Tyreweld which hopefully I will be able to use in the event of a puncture and it is simpler to operate than the Honda sealant.

Thank you all for your diverse views on tyre sealant versus spare wheel they have been very informative and I have not ruled out getting a spare wheel for when driving out in the wilds!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:44:31 PM by Aitcho »

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
Aitcho... Puncture-PROOFING your tyres might be another useful possibility for you to consider. PREVENTING a puncture in the first place sounds like a good idea... at least to me it does.

It claims to be good for nail/screw-type punctures in the tread (the most common puncture) and offers the safety benefit of slower deflation for a sidewall cut. Diverse other benefits, too, are claimed.   

I have no experience of this particular stuff at all so you'd have to research it thoroughly. P'raps Google around to begin with. Might be rubbish... and beware of poor value imitations, too.

Hopefully others on this forum might have experience of it and will comment accordingly.

http://www.ultrasealgb.co.uk/site/index.php?&MMN_position=1:1

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »
A couple of motorbike riders that I know have been using ultraseal for years - not the cheapest but they swear by it.  The fact that it is in the tyre all the time means that its always on duty 24/7
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
Thanks IvyTek and culzean I did have a look at the Ultraseal website nice video on there but no price list just POA, will search on Google and see what other information there is on the product.

In the 1960s before going on a motorcycle tour around Switzerland and Italy I have vague memories of using a similar product on the tubeless tyres.

Just been down to my local Halford store and bought a 500ml can of Holts Tyreweld, their website stated that the 400ml can was for 14" and 15" wheels and that the 500ml can was for 16" wheels, on arriving home and reading the information on the can it states "suitable for all large car tyres 17" and above diameter!

Unlike the Continental tyre sealant instructions which advises leaving any nails or screws in the tyres the instructions for Holts Tyreweld recommends removing the object that caused the puncture, I have not got around to reading the instructions for the Honda sealant.

I assume that the different recommendations are because with the Continental sealant the tyre would be replaced and with the Holts sealant a repair would be attempted so removing the object that caused the puncture would eliminate any possible further damage to the tyre and ensure that there was a better chance of a successful repair.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »
For the short while I owned a GE Jazz i-shift,I changed the car because of the appalling gear box,I acquired a space saver wheel from E-Bay.
I did this because of a friends experience of a blow out on a motorway. If you have a puncture while moving, the tyre is usually a write-off by the time you have stopped and beyond the capabilities of the goo to effect a repair.
Another point was the directions for use didn't advise you to jack the vehicle up before attempting a repair.Therefore you couldn't spin the wheel to distribute the goo and the pump had to not only inflate the tyre but lift the car as well.

Vic.

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 12:20:35 PM »
nothing wrong with the i-shift, i bet your a boy racer. :o

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
Boatman, You must be the only person in the world who thinks that i-shift is OK and that includes Honda salesmen.
It was used in the GE version in a bid to get the car into a lower tax band via emissions and fuel consumption but it didn't come up to expectations.
If it was so wonderful why have Honda reverted to the CVT box in the latest version,which incidentally,with the V-Tec engine is an excellent combination.

Vic.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
I acquired a space saver wheel from E-Bay.
I did this because of a friends experience of a blow out on a motorway. If you have a puncture while moving, the tyre is usually a write-off by the time you have stopped and beyond the capabilities of the goo to effect a repair.

Vic.

(Extract from posting)

Thanks for your input Vic, after considering the various suggestions in this thread I have decided to rely on the Holts Tyreweld and the support of thirteen Kwik-Fit centres which are located within easy reach of where I live when travelling locally.

In addition will be purchasing a full size 16" wheel which will be stashed in the boot when I travel outside my local area or of a night time when Kwik-Fit centres are closed.

As I wish to keep the space beneath the boot floor free the spare wheel will be held in the boot of the car by a cargo net, for my personal circumstance this is the best compromise.

I have been checking eBay but some of the car breakers are charging what I consider to be a high price for a used wheel especially when one considers the very reasonable price that olduser1 charged for the EX wheels he was selling, so will take my time in making a purchase.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:52:53 PM by Aitcho »

guest516

• Topic Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:02 PM »
VicW
2nd person in the world :-*
Love my ishift
Oui oui

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:49 PM »
I have been concerned ever since I brought my 2011 EX about the lack of a spare wheel and the problems associated with the use of the supplied tyre repair gunge.

Today, I was able to purchase from my local Honda franchised dealer a 15" steel wheel fitted with a used but serviceable tyre, the appropriate retaining clamp for the boot and 4 steel wheel nuts for £50 the lot.

I realise that the wheel should be 16" as per the alloys fitted, but I am assured that the rolling radius is the same, indeed I'm told that there is only one genuine spacesaver wheel available for the Jazz regardless on wheel size.

I thought the cost was reasonable, given that in the event of a puncture and the aforementioned problems, a new replacement 16" tyre fitted, would  cost the best part of £100.
Of course I regard this course of action as simply a get-u-home measure, with the punctured  tyre being repaired or replaced ASAP.

I'm also told that my dealer does have for time to time, the correct used alloy wheel/tyre available
for a few pounds extra, these being rejects IE scuffs, paintlifting etc, wheels that have been replaced by Honda under guarantee. Unfortunately they are few and far between. However if one does become available, I will purchase it and sell the steel wheel on.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »

Today, I was able to purchase from my local Honda franchised dealer a 15" steel wheel fitted with a used but serviceable tyre, the appropriate retaining clamp for the boot and 4 steel wheel nuts for £50 the lot.

I realise that the wheel should be 16" as per the alloys fitted, but I am assured that the rolling radius is the same, indeed I'm told that there is only one genuine spacesaver wheel available for the Jazz regardless on wheel size.

If you want to check the rolling radius of your normal tyres and the spare yourself there is a handy calculator here:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresiz2.html

Input the details of your standard tyre on the first line and the details of the spare tyre on the second line and it will give you the individual overall tyre diameters in inches and mm.

Also if you go to the Q&A section of the website from the home page there is an interesting question relating to using different size wheels on the same axle.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:27:47 PM by Aitcho »

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »
Interesting comments from Aitcho re tyre size.
I have read the MOT regs and it does indeed say that tyres must be the same size on one axle. So it looks as though I could be breaking the law in this respect, even though the difference in rolling radius is only 1mm or 0.16%.
However, this leads the the question:- How can the use of spacesaver wheels possibly be legal? as no way can they be described as being the same size.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
However, this leads the the question:- How can the use of spacesaver wheels possibly be legal? as no way can they be described as being the same size.

The answer to your question can be found on the TyreSave website in the Q&A section, below is part of the reply to a similar question.

"The solution, like the space saver wheels, is to paint the spare wheel red or yellow and write on with felt tip pen in indelible ink "Temporary Spare" "Max 50 mph" and get the puncture fixed as soon as possible".

This would explain why spacesaver wheels comply with current regulations and also how one can 'create' their own 'temporary spare' with a wheel that is not the same size as the other wheels fitted to the car.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 05:38:23 PM »
Many thanks Aitcho for your reply.
It looks as though I will have to get the red paint brush out, I'm quite happy to do that and put the appropriate markings on it.
The car is red, so it won't look too much out of place.
I do still have a nagging doubt however, as to whether it is legal to 'create your own spacesaver' so have posed the question to the GEM motoring organisation ( I am a member) and await there comments.

Thanks again.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »
I think you'll find that the law has been ammended to allow the emergency use of a space saver. That is, it can only be used in an emergency to allow the car to be driven, at no more than 50mph, to a place of repair or home. No maximum distance is set!
Continued use will incur the wrath of the boys in blue!

Tags:

anything